AVG Anti Spyware and AVG Anti Virus. Do they share data base?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by fimoulia, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fimoulia

fimoulia Registered Member

Hi, :)

I use AVG Anti Spyware 7.5 and AVG Anti Virus 7.5 Free. Every file which is comming from Internet I scan with both of them. Recently AVG AV detected in few files some Troyans but AVG Anti Spyware detected nothing. How it comes? I am wondering if the two programs share the data base. Logicly they should as it is the same company.

Will appreciate your comments.
    Thank you.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't really know but i would think that avg AS would only pick something up if it got passed avg AV.

3. fimoulia

No it's not this, farmerlee. I scan files with a mouse right click and sometimes AVG AS goes before AV.

4. farmerlee

Being seperate apps you'd have the right click option of scan with avg av and scan with avg as, so it would depend on which you clicked i assume.

5. fimoulia

I just repeated this to see it again. I d/loaded a folder from some crack site and scanned fist with AVG AS. No detection. Then the same folder with AVG AV. Detected Trojan Downloader.Zlob.FWR. o_O

6. farmerlee

Well i guess that tells us they use obviously use different databases.

7. fimoulia

Well, I guess too... :rolleyes:

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Do either or BOTH of these apps allow the user to make a preference to select "ignore" or "report" on the detections it discovers.

I speak chiefly on the free versions at the moment.

Thanks

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, please see the screenshot. Regards.

Attached Files:

10. fimoulia

Nice screenshot, Ocky.

My selected action is Quarantine.
    But it is not clear what's behind "Recommended actions". Only one very vague phrase in the Help file.
    Which suitable action towards which thread? :rolleyes:

In regard to AVG AV (I have free version) there is no clear explanation on a preference to select an action. In a scan configuration you can only select "Automatically heal infected files" and if it's not curable, I guess it goes direct to Virus Vault.

11. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Hello,

Very interesting observation. I asked the Ewido/AVG team months ago in this Forum if both apps would be using the same trojan database but never got an answer. I wonder how much longer we are going to see AVG "Antispyware" still detecting Trojans (since we have been told that its just a rename of the popular Ewido anti-trojan app) now that AVG AV detected this trojan instead? Just a thought.

Richie

12. magneticity

magneticity Registered Member

Trojan infected...

AVG anti-spyware detected a Trojan.Obfuscated.bl

I clean and quarantine it but it came back every time i boot up my PC. I suspect it was a spamware bothering me with pop-up advertisement after some minutes interval. This Trojan can keep changing the name of it's own file after cleaning and quarantine. It goes like this - C:\DOCUME~\Admin\APPLIC~\ItchFlaw\ydfmmzbi.exe[MOVE][/MOVE]

It randomly create it's own file nme for itself.

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I see, thanks for that tidbit on the AntiVirus of AVG. I remember now about AVG AS as having offers user a "CHOICE" whether to "ignore", "quarantine" etc.

Since the bulk of my online efforts involve local researching and saving/keeping of generated finds from forceful websites, it's important that my choice of AV offer the "CHOICE" and not just swoop in for the kill.

14. fimoulia

magneticity,

I feel sorry about your problem, but your post has not much to do with the topic of my thread.
    Would suggest you to start a new thread.

EASTER.2010,

You wrote
    Virus Vault is another name for Quarantine in AVG AV and after malware gets there it becomes harmless to your system. It is not just killed. You can do with it then what ever you want.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG AntiSpyware and AVG Antivirus use different engines. As such there is no distinction on what trojan/spyware is added to what engine as far as I know, as both AVG and Ewido teams add trojans/spyware to their respective engines as required.

Judging by a statement made at the time of acquisition of Ewido, I suspect that a future version will unify the AVG and Ewido engines into a single AVG engine.

16. fimoulia

Thanks for this. :)

17. Firecat

To further support what I said earlier, all recent trojan samples that I submitted for analysis have been added to both the AVG and Ewido engines. But I still find the Ewido engine occasionally catching stuff that the AVG engine misses.

So basically, it seems that whatever is added into AVG engine gets added to ewido engine, but not necessarily vice-versa.

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Perhaps Grisoft is tuning AVG AV to avoid FPs, so the heuristics engine has a higher threshold for detecting new stuff than AVG AS/Ewido.

19. Firecat

I do not want to get anyone's hopes down with this post, as my experience may very well be an isolated incident, but I recently sent some mixed trojan and adware samples for analysis, and well, all of them, even the adware samples were added only to the AVG engine and not to the Ewido one. I haven't checked it since then to see whether Ewido engine also now has detection but even if it does, it means that the Ewido engine is not getting priority. What this means for AVG AntiSpyware as a product is still unknown to me. :(

It is, however, known that Ewido's generic unpacking/emulation method of scanning is one of the major reasons AVG decided to acquire it.

20. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Uh Oh.

Calling Fish.

Come in Fish.

Please let us know what's happening.

Thank you.

21. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Who were the samples sent to? I would expect AVG-AS to take precedence if the samples were sent here:-

http://www.ewido.net/en/support/?AID=34

but if they were sent to AVG/Grisoft that could explain the difference.

22. Firecat

I sent them to Grisoft. I always do that as I am not an Ewido customer. They said that the detection will be added in the next updates for the Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware engine, but all of them were only added to AVG engine. :doubt:

23. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

You know this reminded me that when I get update notifications through my E-Mail about new ones, they never mention anything about them being for the Antispyware. I use the AVG ISS which I imagine uses the same Shield for both the Antivirus and the Antispyware Component, and know there have been both AV and AS updates added to its signatures, but I wonder why the antispyware additions aren't mentioned?

24. Firecat

Maybe Grisoft intends to merge Ewido's technology into the AVG engine, after which the Ewido engine might cease to exist....

25. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

That's a scary thought... I rather hoped it would be the other way around (since, as far as I know, ewido has enjoyed a much better reputation than AVG antivirus).

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.