AVG 9 (Free Version) Ads

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rckowal, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rckowal

rckowal Registered Member

I want to gid rid of the aggravating "upgrade now" advertising that AVG 9 Free throws at me when I start my web browser (Mozilla Firefox). How can I do it?

Some one previously posted a fix on the forum for AVG 8 (adding .bak extension to a couple of files) but that didn't work for me.

Best regards, Richard

2. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

From what I've seen and read, the popup screen is only supposed to appear once.

If it's still nagging you try:

3. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Avast doesn't have any ads other than within the software out of the way... ;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why ppl bother with all this crap when avast! doesn't nag with any ads. No.1 reason why i love their free version. Along with bunch of other goodies...

5. progress

progress Guest

6. rckowal

Thanks to all who replied.

Codylucas,

Well my AVG 9 nags no less than weekly - some times twice. This has been going on since I upgraded from AVG 8 to 9 about two months ago. As I recall, version 6 only popped up once or twice, then went away on it's own. Versions 7 & 8 could be blocked with the .bak hack.

I use CC plus a registry cleaner regularly but I'll try "chkdsc".

Although I've used & loved the job AVG has done for me since version 6, I will look into Avast as well.

Regards, Richard

7. rckowal

I have already done that. It doesn't work with AVG 9.

8. progress

progress Guest

... but it works with my AVG 9 o_O

9. rckowal

There's some thing wrong with this picture. Please clarify, You mention 3 files but only show an example for one file. What are the other two?

In your post about a year ago, you said to change two files to add .bak extensions.
    Maybe that's why it didn't work for me?

10. progress

progress Guest

avgfree_us.mht to avgfree_us.mht.bak
    avgmwdef_us.mht to avgmwdef_us.mht.bak
    avgresf.dll to avgresf.dll.bak

If you have further questions don't hesitate to contact me :)

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not to knock avg but seriously consider avast the new version is awesome

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

rckowal, besides the 3 files that ance provided, there could be a fourth file: avgsbfree_us.mht and should be changed to avgsbfree_us.mht.bak as well.

13. rckowal

I can't find the files: avgfree_us.mht or: avgsbfree_us.mht. I even tried a Windows search in C:\.

I am using AVG Free version 9.0.730 which is an update from AVG 8.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

rckowal, if you had those files, they would have been located at C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\

In your first post you mentioned: "upgrade now" advertising that AVG 9 Free throws at me when I start my web browser and I have a question:

Is the LinkScanner (Surf-Shield & Search-Shield) component installed?

If so, that could be the reason why the advert pop-ups whenever the browser opens. I don't have that component installed, so I never see an "upgrade now" pop-up.

15. rckowal

JRViejo,

Yes, Link Scanner is installed in mine. My AVG is in C:\Program Folders\AVG with sub-folders AVG8 & AVG9 inside of the main folder.

Question, if I were to uninstall>reinstall would I be able to unselect the Link Scanner? My 9 was updated automatically (by AVG I believe), so I don't recall ever seeing that option.

Regards, Richard

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Richard, the answer to your question is yes but there is no reason to uninstall. All you have to do is a Repair Installation to disable the components that you don't want.
    1. Download the Installation File (avg_free_stf_en_90_730a1834.exe) and save it to your desktop (you can delete this file after the installation is complete).
    2. Review the AVG Installation Guide, especially the Components Selection section, to familiarize yourself with the whole procedure. This Guide is for the Paid version so you will not see as many components in the Free version.
    If #2 is a problem, you can also download the User Manual to refer to it at any time. Post back when done or if you have any other questions.

JR

17. rckowal

JRViejo,

That did it! All four of those files were shown so I added the .bak extensions. Now it's time to wait & see what happens.

Thanks again, Richard

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Richard, you're welcome! Keep us posted. Take care.

JR

19. rckowal

JR, Your workaround appears to have done it's job. I haven't had any popup ads since I did the change about 10 days ago. Thanks again.

Best regards, Richard

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Richard, great to hear that! Take care.

JR

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

All personal experencies and opinions about AVG aside, don't use AVG free, it doesn't have advanced rootkit protection:
    http://free.avg.com/nl-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free

Other free AV's have the same protection as their paid versions, of course the paid version offers more features, but the free version can detect the same malware as the paid versions. And with all the BSOD after the MS update caused by the Alureon/TDSS/TDLv3 rootkit makes me wonder how many of them is protected by AVG free....

22. progress

progress Guest

I like AVG but I agree: I don't recommend the free version any more :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.