Avg 9 free as on-demand scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SuperTaf, Oct 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperTaf

SuperTaf Registered Member

Is there a way to install avg 9 free only as on-demand scanner without real-time protection?

PS: sorry for any mistake but I'm still learning English

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Yes, during setup choose custom and uncheck the guard.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

SuperTaf, first, welcome to Wilders!

I see that in your first 2 posts you mention using BitDefender Free, which is an Anti-Virus program. There is probably a chance that trying to install AVG could create a conflict with BitDefender.

Even if you choose a Custom installation, and unchecked the Link Scanner, Additional installed languages and Email Scanner components, the Resident Shield would be installed. Yes, you can de-activate it after installation, however, this is where the conflict with BitDefender could occur, during installation.

Instead of AVG, I would suggest something like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free version and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition as additional on-demand scanners.

4. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

like elitekiller said, doesn't uncheck the guard prevents the installation of the resident shield?

5. EliteKiller

Yes, but that is during the Avira setup. Even though the subject and body of the OP list AVG I had Avira on my mind. Sorry about that.....

During the AVG setup even if you choose custom it will install the resident shield. AFAIK you have to disable resident protection in the GUI after the fact. I have successfully run Avira free w/ guard disabled alongside other resident AV's without a hitch. I have not tried it with AVG, and TBH I have no plans to do so.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have not checked in a while so I figured I would ask here- is the old, stand alone version of AVG antispyware still being updated with signatures? Or has it been abandoned by AVG altogether? If it is still being updated it may provide (generally) what the OP is looking for. Aside from that, if the Ewido scanner is still being updated with signatures by AVG, I have read in the past that it does not have some of the update issues previously present in AVG AS. But that was probably a year ago I ran into that info.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antispyware/

7. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

acr1965, AVG A-S (old ewido) was discontinued by AVG december last year. Subscribers were given licenses to AVG IS.

I don't think they update definitions anymore :)

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

tk55, as EliteKiller has stated, there is no "Guard' name designation in AVG. Because there are several issues with AVG Free 9.0 for some users at the moment, like Windows Defender being disabled upon installation, and a Zone Alarm firewall compatibility, to name a few, it might be best to let AVG sort out those problems first IMO and look elsewhere.

If SuperTaf is happy with BitDefender, the 2 programs I suggested and perhaps even Prevx Free, might fit the search for on-demand scanner options.

9. EliteKiller

I concur. Hitman Pro as an on-demand multi-scanner cloud based solution would fit the bill nicely as well.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

lordpake is correct. With this ewido forums - closed announcement of January 18th, 2009, LowWaterMark stated "termination of the updates to AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5."

The anti-spyware component was first incorporated in the AVG 8.0 version and it continues today with the 9.0 version.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

EliteKiller, excellent suggestion! :)

SuperTaf, it looks like you have several on-demand scanner options to choose from. :D

12. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Doesn't AVG have a false position when it stays with other AVs?I remember when it scanned other AVs' files,it would regard them as unwanted files.

13. SuperTaf

SuperTaf Registered Member

Hi guys!

I use Avira as my real-time scanner (from version 6.26).
    So, when there are new products I like to try them without uninstalling\reinstalling Avira simply choosing to don't install
    the real-time guard.

For BitDefender the problem was processes high consumption of
    memory (higher than my resident antivirus with guard enabled).

For AVG the problem was that I didn't find a way to prevent the
    installation of the realt-time guard.

Thank you guys for the replies!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.