AVG 8 + XP SP3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bamaman66, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

I installed XP SP3 on my XP Home machine and now my updater for my AVG 8 does not work. I don't know if the XP SP3 is the cause of it not working but it seemed to start after I installed XP SP3. Does anyone have this problem?

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Check your firewall rules. If using the XP firewall you should be OK.

3. support.grisoft

support.grisoft Grisoft Team

Hi,

If the issue is not caused by firewall, please contact our technical support via web form http://www.avg.com/ww.support-technical-form-direct?ver=8.

By analysis of log files we will be able to say what is wrong and help you to solve this issue.

Generally, we do not have any conflicts between AVG and XP SP3.

4. bamaman66

bamaman66 Registered Member

It was a firewall problem. Working fine now.

5. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

Here is the best method (I have done this on 4 computer so far running AVG 8.0 free and Pro) to install xp sp3

Download the exe sp3 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en and save it to your hd

1. Run Ccleaner to clean out all temp and temporally internet files

2. Go to Documents and Settings/(your username), Local Settings/ Temp

A. Empty all the .temp files that are listed. The ones that have today’s date will not remove.

3. Empty the Recycle Bin

4. Run your AVG antivirus Program and remove any viruses or spyware.

5. Update & Run Adaware 2007 (if you have it), Spybot Search and Destroy, Superantispyware

6. Put the cursor on the desktop where there are no icons and right click. Highlight and click “Properties”

Go to the Screensaver Tab- Click the down arrow until you see “None” and make sure it shows up in the box.

Next click on the “Power” tab

Make sure all of the boxes have “Never” and click “OK”

7. Check Disk and Defrag the computer.

Before doing this, everything on the right side of the taskbar that has an “Exit” or a “Close” needs to be removed.

8. Once you have Defragged the computer restart the computer.

9. When the computer loads up- you must again need to remove the ones on the right side of the taskbar

A. If you have AVG 8.0 you will need to open the program. Uncheck the Resident Shield. Disable the firewall if you have the Pro version. Close the program. Then right click on the icon in the right side of the task bar and click EXIST

10. Set a System Restore Point prior to installing the service pack.

11, Unplug from the internet.

12. Now go to the folder where you put the exe of sp3 and double click it

13. Follow the instructions that sp3 gives. Don't be alarmed on some computers it could take up to an hour to completely install and don't be alarmed once the computer reboots because it could take a few minutes to load up.

14. Once everything looks fine- check around and make sure things are ok- re connect back to the internet and see if you have internet service.

15. Defrag the computer again and reboot. (this is just so everything that got moved around goes back in place)

16. Reboot again and when AVG 8.0 loads up, double click it and put a check mark back in the Resident Shield. and re- enable the firewall

If you follow these instructions it should load fine.

robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.