AVG 8 preventing POP3 email download

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FrotoMoto, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrotoMoto

FrotoMoto Registered Member

Whenever AVG 8's update servers aren't responding, or are busy, I'm unable to download my email from my POP3 account. This occurs on all 3 PC's in our house and it is becoming a real nuisance to deal with because it's been happening more frequently over the past several weeks. Even though the virus definitions are up to date, every time I try to download mail, AVG attempts to contact it's servers, and when they don't respond, my email server times out. As soon as I uninstall AVG, my email works fine.
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem? AVG support has not responded to my query on this issue, probably because I'm using their AVG Free product.
    Does anyone know of a better, trustworthy product out there that I can try?

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Could you disable Email Protection from AVG Control Center and try your POP Mail ? If it still doesn't work, then its probably not AVG's fault.

The best free AV for home IMO, is Avast! Home Edition.

3. FrotoMoto

FrotoMoto Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes, when I disable 'check incoming email' I'm able to download my mail with no problem.
    I'll also add here that I use Comodo free firewall, which was what alerted me to the fact that it was AVG that was trying to access it's servers when I attempted to download my mail.
    I had completely uninstalled the firewall before I uninstalled AVG, and the trouble didn't disappear until AVG was gone. I reinstalled Comodo firewall and my mail continued to work fine until I reinstalled AVG (standard install, accepting the email default)
    That certainly proves that it's AVG, but what good would the program be without email protection?
    I can't deal with that.
    I'll give Avast a whirl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.