AVG 8 Free Launches

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Delgado, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

Hi vlk,

Are you the same Vlk from the Avast forums, the one with the picture of a guy performing a salute as his avatar? If so, then I don't doubt that you know more than I do, but there's still things that don't make sense to me.

Regarding 1 and 2, I've heard from other experts that the HTTP and other protocols are only a kind of "handshake" that programs use to identify themselves. If this is true, then why would it stop Avast's webshield from working? Other programs can transmit exactly the same kind of data that viruses are made of, can't they? Why would people need different kind of scanners for the same types of data transmitted over the same connection? Are other protocols other than HTTP encrypted with a special key or something? Also, browsers can access the FTP protocol as well. If, as you say, the webshield can only protect against traffic through the HTTP protocol and not other protocols, then doesn't Avast need an FTP shield as well? Not to mention one dedicated shield each for all the other protocols out there? Why can other antivirus products handle everything with just the same webshield, while Avast needs so many?

Regarding 3, there was a 15-page thread in the Eset forum. I went back to look, but I can't seem to find it now. Very suspicious indeed...

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone using this for on-demand scanning only? I used to have the free avg antispyware but that will soon be discontinued. Was the Ewido scanning engine in the former anti-spyware product? If so, has it been abandoned now or is it still one of the scanning engines of AVG 8?

3. jdenton

jdenton Registered Member

It's now integrated into the new AVG. You get the real-time shield as well, whereas AVG Anti-Spyware only offered it during the 30-day trial.

AVG seems to have quite good cleaning abilities thanks to its Ewido roots. There was a post in the Eset forum saying that Nod32 couldn't clean Virtumonde off his computer, but AVG managed it in a jiffy. :thumb:

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

5. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

yeah, alll that makes sense...again, i probably went to the wrong part of the site....and i dont blame AVG for wanting to make some $$$, they provided a good free product for quite a while now...i just always like to have a few stand alone scanners as backup and am disapppointed that AVG Antispyware will no longer be avail. that way(and AVG-AR for that matter)....

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

7. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

Does anyone know when Grisoft will stop updates for the free version of AVG 7.5. now that version 8 is out?

8. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I read it will be at the end of December this year.

9. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

At the end of this year. That goes for the pro version too

robin

10. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

also for the active x impcompatablity issue
    I just got a reply from avg

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your email.

We are currently working on solution for this. It will be added into next major program update of AVG.

We are sorry for this inconvenience. Please ignore the warnings in AVG tests.

It really is not an infection. Please see our pages:
    http://www.avg.com/faq?num=1198

Thank you for cooperation.

---------------------
    tada! guess they heard all of us

robin

11. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

Thanks to everyone that answered my question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.