AVG 8.0 Pro upgraded today to 8.0.229

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

you can see it all here

http://www.avg.com/us.222275

I just did it on 3 computers. One running AVG Pro with firewall, AVG 8.0 Internet Suite and AVG 8.0 antivirus.

All 3 need a reboot.

You might have to click on the updater to see the update.

I had no problems with any of them. I noticed a few new things in Advanced Settings. There is now in "scans" the ability to scan external devices automatically..

Have not had a chance to test anything else out but cpu is low after this upgrade and going to the internet- no problems.

robin

2. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I got a chance to test this feature and it doesn't seem to work all the time.
    When putting in a usb flash drive, AVG automatically popped up and did a scan.
    When putting in a western digital external passport- AVG did not even bat an eye.

It should have seen both.

robin

3. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    After updating AVG to the newest version, I started getting the following error:
    “UNSPECIFIED ERROR OCCURRED IN AVG”
    I decided to download the new installer to see if this would stop this error.
    The problem I am having now is with the following file:
    avgcsrvx.exe
    My firewall keeps reporting that this wants to access the internet. It is listed in my firewall as “AVG Scanning Core Module – Server Part”. It is also listed as belonging to AVG Internet Security. I have the anti-virus only.
    Anyone have any idea what this file is doing please?
    Thank you.

4. oma53

oma53 Registered Member

Hello,
    When I look in my Task Manager, the file avgcsrvx.exe is listed three times. If I set my firewall up for this file to ask permission, it will pop up approx every 20-30 minutes, sometimes asking for server permission. (this is what I am worried about)
    I asked a local AVG reseller and was told to leave it alone by one tech and told to delete the file by the other. The only thing they agreed on was that this is a “AVG Internet Security” file and was not sure why it was included in my AVG Antivirus.
    Sorry to ask again, but does anyone know what this file is doing in the Antivirus program when the file itself states it is an AVG Internet Security file?
    Thank you.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

oma53, AVG Paid has 3 program versions (AVG Anti-Virus 8.0, AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall 8.0 and AVG Internet Security 8.0), however, the avg_ipw_stf_all_8_229a1410.exe installation file is the same for all 3 versions.

According to the User Manual, Installation Process section, page 17, there are 2 installation options: Standard and Custom. If you choose Standard, everything is installed. If you choose Custom, you'll be able to install just the component you want. Perhaps you want to review the Manual and if that selection fails, as a Paid customer, you do have access to Free Technical Support.

6. progress

progress Guest

What about AVG 8.0 Free? o_O

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ntero, AVG Free is still stuck on version 8.0.176 but I'm glad you asked that question.

Reviewing the User Manual (introduced December 4th) for the new Paid version, if you look at Page 12 (Select License Type), there's an option to install the Free Version and I don't recall ever seeing that option before. I get the feeling that AVG is moving toward a single .exe installation file for all versions. Only time will tell.

8. progress

progress Guest

So when I download avg_ipw_stf_all_8_229a1410.exe I should be able to select AVG 8.0 Free in the setup? :blink: Is this a beta version?

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I hope you guys don't mind me hijacking the thread, but it is related to AVG 8 Pro, why not asking here.

The doubt I have is - Does LinkScanner Pro, part of AVG 8 Pro, also protects Opera browser, as the stand alone version does? Or does it only protect IE and Firefox?

10. progress

progress Guest

There is no option to select Free with version 8.0.229 ... :ouch:

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Well, that's weird because their User Manual (page 12) shows 3 Installation Types to select from: Full Version, Trial Version and Free Version. How many choices did you see, ntero? BTW, version 8.0.229 is not a BETA and I use AVG Free.

To expand on my previous post, looks like AVG Free is moving toward version 8.0.200 but FREE EDITION PROGRAM UPDATE ISSUES - AVG 8.0.200.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That's a good question. The AVG FAQs talk about the AVG Security Toolbar and LinkScanner in terms of IE and Firefox; Opera is not mentioned. Yet, in regards to How to set-up update download proxy settings, AVG states "supported browsers being Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla and Opera." Perhaps you should ask AVG.

13. progress

progress Guest

No choices, because I had to enter a serial number before :(

LinkScanner doesn't work with Opera ...

14. m00nbl00d

I think that was a bad move from AVG. Why change what was working just fine. I thought that, since in AVG 8 Pro we get LinkScanner Pro, it would also protect Opera, by working in the background, as the stand alone version does.

Too bad. That would be an attractive, at least for me, to perhaps change to AVG 8 Pro.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG Surf Shield works as it should irrespective of the browser used. It is the search shield that doesn't work on browsers other than Firefox or IE.

16. m00nbl00d

That's the idea I always had, but, since in the LinkScanner description in AVG8 Pro, there's reference to both Search Shield & Surf Shield, and only says it will protect IE and Firefox, it made me be in doubt.

Thanks for sharing that piece of info. :)

Regards

17. freedda

freedda Registered Member

I have AVG internet security 8.0.237. A few months ago the number of files that were shown being scanned went way down, by a couple hundred thousand files; I did not change any of the settings as far as I know.

Also, recently the Search-shield feature in Linkscanner seems to have stopped working. My search results in Google no longer show the AVG green check mark.

I've sent AVG diagnostic info to see what's up with these features. I hope they can get back to me soon.

18. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

AVG 8 - Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware ( Paid Version ) - 8.0.237

Well...
    I've ditched NIS 09 on my Laptop for - Avast :cool:
    &
    When my AVG 8 runs out on my Desktop Computer - In a few months...
    I'm seriously considering ditching that for Avast too :rolleyes:

I've just never felt protected with - AVG 8 :oops:

19. gery

gery Registered Member

I ditched AVG too and am using AVAST pro and am seriously happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.