AVG 8.0 Free Web Shield Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kas, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have had AVG for many years, but only recently have I been subjected to AVG WEB SHIELD pop-ups saying a threat has been detected and the time has come to blow my brains out. Must be a recent update of theirs.

I have no idea what a WEB BASED THREAT is compared to all the other "threats". These threats must have been walking in and out of my PC all these years enjoying perfect freedom and suddenly they are bad news and put in the slammer.

Can anybody decipher this jargon ? What makes an AVG categorised WEB BASED THREAT any different from other Virus, Worms, Trojans and God knows what else ?

Does this threat occur just because I open IE ? Or is it website related ?

The three bogey men AVG has quarantined are ;-

"Exploit Rogue spyware scanner";"scanslot4.com/22/files/text_constants_en.js";"";"3/26/2009, 20:27:34";"File";"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    ======
    "Exploit Sploit25 obfuscation";"vienmoreter.com/kebab/info.php";"";"2/2/2009, 22:41:06";"File";"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    ======
    "Exploit Sploit25 obfuscation";"vienmoreter.com/keshu/kebab/info.php";"";"2/2/2009, 22:41:03";"File";"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    ======

Anybody who can help or speaka da AVG lingo of this cybernetic Apocalypse, I would be grateful to hear from them.
    KAS

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kas, AVG 8.0 introduced the LinkScanner component with these 2 features:
    These threats are Web site related and consider yourself lucky that AVG was doing its job.

I don't use IE but use Firefox 3.0.7 and AVG 8.5.285 (without the LinkScanner) and this is what Firefox told me, regarding your nasties:

2009-03-27_144855.gif

2009-03-27_144808.gif

Delete these babies out of your Virus Vault and go have a beer! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.