avg 7.5 internet suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nice to know this,

but... i agree with elison, bit more options are needed, especially for removal.

some options in the antivirus, there are NONE.
    resident shield has just a few tick boxes

but removal can be a pain, clicking each one.... maybe add a select all thing?

im sure avg / ewido can think of something together :)

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Just received this mail from AVG Support and I am very disappointed about this Suite!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that the AVG Anti-spyware product (was EWIDO) is not the same product as the component Anti-spyware in AVG.

The component Anti-spyware only uses the ability to detect spyware on your computer. But all other functions are designed the same way as in AVG. It means that only the detection engine is used from AVG Anti-spyware product in AVG.

Please note that in the next program version will be possible to disable "detection of cookies" on your computer.

There will be also the function "Automatic healing = removing" added in AVG.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Karel Stavik
    AVG Technical Support

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I also recieved an email from support regarding the email i sent about the antispyware module.I had guessed it wasnt avg anti spyware as the suite supports 98 wheres the anti spyware programe doesnt.The chap who replied to me did say
    "We would like to ask you to let us know if you have any demands for
    > AVG Anti-Spyware component settings. It will be possible to disable
    > "Tracking Cookies" detection in the next AVG program version."

Im taking that comment,that they are open to suggestions,so i have asked for a seperate enable/disable for the spyware component seperate from the resident shield (this would allow users to enable/disable and allow the use of other supplementary antispyware programes if required ,without having to disable the whole resident shield).I also asked for ,an option to use the antispyware as a resident or on demand scanner as the user requires.I dont know if they will implement what i ask ( if indeed it is possible?) ,but they do seem will ing to listen to suggestions at present.
    ellison

4. Big Apple

Let's indeed hope that they listen to all the different suggestions.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Can anyone clarify this a little bit? Is Grisoft saying that AVG Anti-Spyware uses the Real Time detection/prevention capabilities of Ewido, but not the scanning detection of it? I'm a bit confused, and wonder how good the detection rate would be if it's not the old Ewido Anti-Spyware. I know AVG seems to pick up Tracking Cookies like Ewido did. I'm more concerned about it's Real Time detection/prevention capabilities though, being good.

6. Big Apple

I'm confused as well and really don't understand in what way the Anti Spyware module is acting compared to the standalone version.

7. duke1959

Hopefully Big Apple, we can get a better answer soon. Also, do you or anyone else know if Firewall protects while booting up PC? I know Windows XP Firewall does, and I'm sure AVG would as well, but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

8. Big Apple

I really wouldn't know, but feel free to ask support about that.

9. duke1959

Okay Big Apple, I probably will. I must say though, that I really like this Suite and have confidence in it's detection abilities. With the new look, and set and forget features, it was exactly what I was looking for to finally settle on what to use for my PC's protection. I am however, also using the latest version of Cyberhawk for some added security, and so far no conflicts or slow downs. Take care.

10. Big Apple

If you like it and it runs good and you feel secure with it.......good for you and enjoy. I've never tried Cyberhawk, as I just installed Online Armor yesterday and feel that's a pretty good, smooth running program.
    But, so you see......everybody seems to have his/her own preferences.

Good luck!

11. duke1959

I have read good things about Online Armor, and believe you will be well protected Big Apple.

12. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Of course it also uses the scanner :) It's basically ewido anti-spyware with a modified interface and improvements.

13. duke1959

peter.ewido, I am asking if the Anti-Spyware Component in the new AVG Internet Security Suite 7.5, is in fact also the former Ewido-Anti-Spyware? If not, then is the detection/prevention capabilities in the Anti-Spyware Component of AVG ISS as good or better than what Ewido Anti-Spyware's detection/prevention has been?

14. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

There is no interface for the antispyware module in AVG suite ,unless you count a properties and update tab as an interface.
    ellison

EDIT......Apolgies ....My error ,i see you are referring to AVG antispyware and not the antipsyware component in the suite .

15. duke1959

I'm still hoping for a less confusing answer about what the AVG Spyware component actually is, as far as it being Ewido or some other Anti-Spyware. The definition given on the Grisoft Website sounds like it could be an offshoot of Ewodo's technology, but if it's not, than how good is this AntiSpyware Component as it's called, in the 7.5 Internert Security Suite? Anyone?

16. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

The Anti-Spyware Component in AVG 7.5 Anti-Malware and Internet Security is in fact the ewido engine and its definitions :)

17. duke1959

Thanks peter.ewido, I believe you, but the E-Mail Big Apple posted from Grisoft is what confused me and BA I believe. I guess AVG has limited the User Interface of the AntiSpyware Component for simplicity reasons. Anyway, thanks again your answer was appreciated.

18. Big Apple

Still remains the e-mail I received as you quoted. I still have my doubts, as there's no way to get into the spyware module to configure or to see what's what and what's detected......!!

19. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

The only dislike I have is that once Windows is loading(at the desktop), the component status will change to red(not loaded) and then green(loaded). The three whining components are Email Scanner, Resident Shield and Firewall.

20. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

this peeked my curosity and i gotta say i like it Antivir found a trojan but didtn remove it for me today i popped on this and it did..... Now i have it for 2yrs !:D First suite that doesnt bog me down !

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it does have a few issues that need fixing, but it runs super super fast on a machine, its a no hassle suite.

and am glad that virus went.... :D

22. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

C.S.J's I was suprised at Antvir not removing it...just detecting all the time...... Avg was so bad for removing before....... soon as i installed the suite out of curosity it removed it and then some...... Light too....best ive had yet keeper MD :rolleyes:

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why im lucky to have a license for both nod32 and antivir if one has a problem i can use the other.
    lodore

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just a note to people reading this thread or keeping track of it.....

avg have added some updates to the avg suite,

resident shield now has a tick box for scan cookies, so i doubt they will be included in PUPs now.

also shell extension settings include options of

"enable anti-spyware engine"
    "enable cookie detection"
    "enable registry detection"

sounds like someone from avg has been listening to people on here :D

at least they are trying to fix the things people want, nice to know.

25. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Wonderful to hear that. Sounds like this suite gets back into the running for me. I did like it a lot. May try it again and see after the update, what happens. Do you need to download a newer trial file or do these options come via automatice updates? Thanks.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.