AVAST!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the insider, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the insider

the insider Registered Member

Hi I'm using AVAST! and I like it very much but I have a feeling that some extra security won't hurt ... Which antispyware apps are recommendable as second / third layer of defense? Someone said that BoClean together with Icesword should be enough .... Thx in advance :)

2. Arup

Arup Guest

I use Hitman Pro and Sypware Terminator with real time and HIPS enabled, works out real well behind a router with Avast.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know anything about Boclean. It is evidently a good application.
    I could recommend both a-squared, and AVG 7.5 AS. I have used both. I currently have AVG AS as resident, and a-squared on demand.

Spyware Terminator would be OK as an AS. Frankly I still think of a-squared, and AVG AS as anti-trojans although the lines have become blurred.

I think you have a good set up with Avast and an AT (BoClean may be very good) and ST or one of the paid anti-spyware applications. I personally use SuperAntiSpyware.

I would not bog my system down with a dozen security programs. Just use a firewall and the applications mentioned, and you will be safe as long as you also use your head.

Best,
    Jerry

4. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Is Adaware up for consideration?

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I recommend BoClean wholeheartedly. Considering all the genuinely fine products discussed here, there are always folks who report problems or general dissatisfaction. But I am hard pressed to recall any significant complaints regarding BoClean in all my time here. I would think you wouldn't regret trying it, as there's a money-back, no-questions guarantee.

6. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Same here, BOClean is a very good product and it's generic detection of new variants of malware it already has a rule for is excellent.

Londonbeat

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't recall seeing any comparatives involving BoClean. I could have missed them.

But if there are no comparisons, how does one know that any application is really good? Obviously the company is not going to say that the product is inferior.
    I would submit that most users would not get infections if they used not AT applications, especially if they had a top AV.

So how do I know BoClean is a good anti-malware application. The argument that Joe has used it for years and has not been infected is not especially strong. He probably would have gotten infected anyway. Normally the AV catches the malware first.

BoClean may be the best, but how does one determine that? I note that other applications have been tested to some degree, but not BoClean. Where is the proof?

Best,
    Jerry

8. the insider

so summing things up : BoClean is good for hardening AVAST ? And how about Icesword or Unhackme for Rootkit detection as a third layer of defence ? :doubt:

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! itself is imo good enough. At least for me.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

No expert here, but I've found the features in Avast very useful and effective, and the forum support is very good. I'm also using Winpatrol, SpywareBlaster and Guard (SG hasn't been updated in 2yr, tho) Spywareterminator and Comodo Firewall. Haven't got any malware since installing ST.
    Interestingly, (and being a bit of a dummy) I turned XP's firewall off after downloading Comodo, (didn't need to, the install of Comodo takes care of it, but I didn't know.) In the 2min or so it took me to install the new firewall, the Avast webshield blocked 4 attempted exploits. Did a Housecall scan afterwards, just to be sure, came up clean.
    Can't coomment about Boclean nor Icesword, but I do keep Asquared, Superantispyware, HijackThis Rootkit revealer and a couple of others available, just in case. (plenty of room on the disk.)

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I wouldn't think so, the paid for version of ad-aware which has real time monitoring isn't all that good and is more expensive than other more effective programs. The free version is always good to have for back up imo.

12. farmerlee

If you want free then spyware terminator is good to use or even windows defender. Winpatrol free is also excellent to keep an eye on whats happening on your computer.

13. the insider

thanks for the many replies ! One question remains : spyware terminator or windows defender ?:)

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Never Used Windows Defender, used to use MS antispyware (Giant), that was pretty good, but I still got infections with it sometimes, partly due to own ignorance, ST is still being developed, and there have been reports by some users of aspects of instability, I think they might be the unlucky ones, most of us find it pretty bug-free. Haven't been infected since installing it. HIPS on, WinClam integrated, but not resident.

15. the insider

Winclam integrated ? Doesn't that conflict with your AV ? I thaught that Winclam was an AV .....:oops:

16. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I would greatly recommend Spyware Terminator over Windows Defender. WD takes up a great deal of memory and resources, whereas ST runs very light and has a great resident shield. A tester at the Tech Support Alert website compared the two, and has this quote:

For me personally, I don't like the fact that WD must be updated via Microsoft Windows Update. I just want to update my software, not have Microsoft snoop through my computer in the process. Updating ST usually only takes a couple minutes on dial-up connection.

One word of caution, however. While ST's resident protection is outstanding, I wouldn't rely on it as a on-demand scanner. It finds a lot of false positives. For scanning, I would use AVG Antispyware (formerly Ewido) and SuperAntispyware. Both are reliable on-demand scanners. I believe, though, that ST's resident protection (especially combined with the HIPS) has them all beat.

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It has done a bit when I had it set to realtime, slowed things down. They never had to fight over a virus, though, so I don't know-nor want to find out- what would happen. I think having it integrated but not resident allows ST to scan for virus signatures not recognised by the ST application, and with a different scan/clean engine.
    I'd post a screen shot of the settings menu, but can only upload an image from a website, not my desktop. Can do it if you really want.

18. the insider

Do you mean ST or Clam when you say "having IT integrated but not resident..." ? Sorry but I'm not an expert on these things...:oops:

19. farmerlee

I'd say spyware terminator covers more areas plus it has HIPS built in. Defender is pretty much set and forget, you won't know its there until it finds something.

20. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I could have worded that more accurately, I mean having ClamAV integrated. I'm no expert either. If you really want/need to know, best ask on their forums. http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default.aspx?g=forum
    It's possible that having it integrated (it meaning Clam) but not resident doesn't change the way ST detects/scans at all, but just allows a simultaneous additional virus scan to take place, if the user wants to do that. The scan options allow (1) Fast spyware scan (2) full spyware scan (3) full spyware and virus scan - this involves Clam, and takes a lot longer - (4) custom scan.
    So far there is a new "weekly build" Beta, for those who want to test, and a regular version, currently 1.6.0.824. This is the 3rd version update I've had, they seem to improve in functionality and address bugs with each release, and seem very determined, and perhaps somewhat overworked. (Forum members can be such a demanding bunch!;) ) But I think they genuinely welcome feedback and bug reports, so as to improve the product.

21. the insider

Ok : thanks everybody for the replies ! :-*

22. Arup

Arup Guest

For me as well, all I ever needed:D

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am a late-comer; During my very short pc era. I have tried, used many many AVs, freeware and paidware. Norton, McAfee, KAV, Sopho, F-front, ET, ZA,AVG, Antivir...names and names. Most of them gave me some sort of problems,resulting in deletion or been archived. Only one Av upto this far has not yet caused any problem. That is Avast! Their virus definition updates are getting more intense, often 4-5 times a week. And its protection is very much sufficient and effective. I will keep this app until something else can really replace it.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Perman,

Good to see you liking Avast, from time to time, just to confirm, scan your system with the top of the line AV Comparitives programs like KAV, NOD, AntiVir etc. till date, none have detected anything on my system running Avast so I guess Avast is doing a swell job of keeping out nasties from my system.

25. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

If you feel you have to scan your system with a 'top of the line' product from time to time.......why not use a 'top of the line' product at the first place? That gives me a better feeling of security!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.