Avast [was off topic in "AVG 7 Free Edition Beta Available"]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No offence,but i offer a free ~600KB in size avast! External Control tweak tool for avast! (www.security-ops.tk). You can turn off spinning ball in 5 seconds with it. Including lots of other cool tweaks.I'm the developer of it(AEC tweak) and i always disable ball spinning with AEC,so i really don't see the problem of using 3rd party tweaks for some software o_O I know its a AVG thread,but i just couldn't be silent...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: AVG 7 Free Edition Beta Available

Since this post was off topic in the other thread I have moved it here where it might get more attention.

bigc

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Re: [was off topic moved here] Re: AVG 7 Free Edition Beta Available

Firstly... apologies bigc for making the off topic comment about avast in the other thread, but as I was just making a quick comparison between how I see the new avg versus avast, which I guessed other people may also be in a similar position but not tried the beta yet, as even I didn't wish to risk it at first, but then my curiosity got the better of me, so I ghosted my image then gave it a go... I thought it would be ok.

Ok... having said all that.

RejZor... no offence taken and certainly none intended to you or the developers of avast, which I was using, and liking until I then tried the new avg. In fact... you are to be commended on your work to develop a little utility... the avast external control... to be able to set up avast to shut the revolve off along with the other things it does. I downloaded it myself after getting avast to see what it did, and it is very good.

But... my point is this.

Why should this be necessary.

Surely things like this should already be built into the main program, in an options list, so that something as distracting as this revolving a... which is also not straight when idle, but set to the right, and therefore annoys me even before it starts to turn, could be turned off for those of us that don't like it without having to use your tool.

Yeah... I know... I'm a bit odd... fair enough, but that's just me.

Strange thing is... I'm not against animated tray icons normally... in fact I love the way ZA displays its red and green up/down data bars. But there is something about that little a that seems so distracting... and I guess other people do too... yourself included as you say you also turn it off.

I don't wish to be seeming unfair to either the avast people, who after all said and done, are allowing free use of the program and therefore things like this should probably be accepted and tolerated... or to you, for working out a way to control the program... very excellent indeed... also provided free... and your obvious enthusiasm is good to see as you make it better with each new update... this is something you obviously love doing.

If my comment seems unfair... I am sorry... it's just my way sometimes.

I'll shut up now... again... sorry for drifting off topic bigc.

zarzenz.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Well...

1. believe it or not, the revolving icon that you hate so much is beloved by many others... that is, it's really hard to please everyone.

2. judging a quality of an AV by the design of its tray icon may be a bit short sighted (of course, no offense intended)...

:D :D

Cheers
    Vlk

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I don't actually hate it... I just dislike it.

And fair enough... if others like it... as surely some will, then fine.

So if it is known that not all can be pleased, and if a utility exists to turn it off, then it seems odd that a preference was not provided to do just this... set a preference so that more people could be pleased.

Ah... never mind... and as you see... I don't like disorder, and to me a letter in an icon that is not positioned in the middle... is disorderly and doesn't look right to my eye.

Hey... as I said... it's me... I got strange ways sometimes... there is a cosmically effected reason for this... simple as that.

Thanks for your response... your program works fine.

One thing I do like very much is the voice that tells me I have been updated. No doubt some will not like that... so I understand how all this is subjective.

It caused quite an amusing moment when a friend was visiting me recently and it came from the computer by itself... we had an interesting discussion about how the world is going to become all voice activated systems soon... a bit like in i Robot... a fantastic movie. Anyway... I better not start talking about movies here or that will be off topic next.

See ya... gotta fix some food now.

Zar... :cool:

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm total agree with this!

Why an AV have all this options hidden? A normal user didn't know them, and just use the AV... I know users that simple install the programs and doesn't care about the configuration...

If I only use the "Internet Mail" to scan my incoming mail (POP), I've to edit the 'avast4.ini' to disable the "Internet Mail" from watching the SMTP and IMAP ports!!! This happens in Home Edition and Pro Edition...

I didn't know what extensions the Internet Mail will watch, and now body tell me that in the avast! forum...

I really started to like the avast! AV, but the problems with the GUI, that was not so user friendly, and doesn't have all the options available for a normal user, doesn't enthusiasm me...

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you are odd in not liking eye-candy in an antivirus program, then I also am odd. I want my security programs to just shut up & do their jobs. Spinning icons, multiple skins -- it's like having my bank's security guard dressed in pink leotards, and chucking me under the chin when I enter to transact business.

I find it very difficult to respect the professionalism of a security program that bedecks itself with eye-candy.

But then -- "Everyone to his own tastes" as the lady said when she kissed the cow. :p

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As mentioned many times,if you don't like the skins in general or those pro looking skins like LiteON or RejZoR-Sharp,then there is always a payable Pro version available (with Enhanced interface that is not skinnable).
    Spinning tray ball can be stopped (non animated) or totaly removed (protection is still active) wia AEC. those ~600KB can't be problem even for 56k modem users and program doesn't requre installation and doesn't leave behind any junk except one small file (few bytes) if you change Smart AutoUpdate proxy settings.
    As for now,i expect these features to be implimented into avast! 4.5 interface...

9. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Well, I don't want to start a discussion but, VaMPiRiC posted a lot of times in avast forums about this.
    I just want to say my opinion: if you don't want to customize an antivirus, please, do not get avast. It's fully customizable, a lot of features. Most of them can be reached by avast4.ini file. Ok, it's not the better interface but you're getting it for free. No ofense, just I can't believe people blaming because it can be configurable.

Btw, to avoid icon spinning, just add to [AAVM] section of avast4.ini file the value:
    AnimateIcon=0

You can get what you want with avast ;)

10. Technical

Besides what RejZor said, next avast version (4.5) will be skinless. Oh, I forgot to say that it is still free for all those who do not like a skin :cool:

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Our skin master Sasha Craftec is also focusing on pro looking skins now.
    I have finally sent the MacLoverOS X skin to the Alwil Headquarters for testing and it should be released soon if everything goes well :)

12. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't like skins either but that’s why I paid for Pro version (not just because of skins but for many other reasons), animated icon is cool though.

New version of KAV 5.0 has animated icon now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As Vlk mentioned you can't really judge an av by icons or GUI. Unless you are staring at it 24/7, which is completely different story then. :D

tECHNODROME

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Back on thread concerning Avast versus AVG...
    TWO qweek qwestions...

#1- AVG doesn't *make trouble* when used as Real Time Monitor (RTM) on a computer with other Antivirus programs installed but NOT running simultaneously with AVG.

Is the same true for Avast?

#2- AVG runs nicely -- doesn't slow things down -- when used as RTM on older computers (for instance, those with cpu speeds of 500Mhz or slower).

Is the same true for Avast?

14. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Actually avast runs nicely with AVG (on a 98 machine using AVG as an on demand scanner),though i havent tried it the other way around.The latest avg beta7 chronically slows down the opening of any folders on my pc (p3 733) , with just that one av installed ,and i had to take it off (avg 6 ) did not and does not do this.
    ellison

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D

Let me clarify this:
    Why the developers of avast didn't put all the tweaks in the config dialog? It's difficult?
    Why I've to use the avast! External Control (Thanks to RejZoR) or edit a file (avast4.ini) to use some functionalities of avast!? Isn't more simple to put everything in the config to all the users know the potential of avast!?
    I don't have to say nothing about the Home Edition because it's free, and in my opinion the best free AV, but in Professional Edition it's another think!

Resuming: I like the avast! AV, the support, but doesn't like the GUI or config style. It's just an opinion :)

16. Technical

Because, in my opinion, common users will be lost with so much tweaks. What's the difficulty for an advanced user like you just open the avast4.ini file?
    RejZoR did his part and LeDoc are trying to make another java application to edit that ini file with a GUI.
    I understand what you want but I'm tired to be solving doubts of the users that 'mess' avast because are not patient to read the help files: first they change then they regret :p

Ok, I agree in part. Maybe some features could be on the 'advanced' settings. Some programs do this: two interfaces: basic and advanced. Will be better but, I'm sure, user will mess without knowleadge and, otherwise, advanced users could use avast4.ini file.

Fully agree.

Undoubtly the best part of avast! :cool:

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Like you said, make an advanced section in avast with all the tweaks...

Another great GUI improve is put the "Packer" and "Virus" section in the "On-Access Protection Control", in the Pro Edition...

18. Technical

They are there on the Pro version...
    Just right click the Tasks... VaMPiRiC, each provider has their own settings. You can't put all togheter.

You have Pakers settings for Stardard Shield, Internet Mail provider and the plugin for Outlook. The same for the Virus page... :rolleyes:

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You didn't understand my point...

Put the "Packer" and "Virus" in each provider like this for example:

Attached Files:

20. Technical

I understand you very well...
    The picture you posted is from Home version.
    The one I was talking about is from Pro version.
    But, don't you think we went so far just becouse of our opinions and worse, I understand you and agree with you.

Just making more options to more users mess a good avast installation. Man, believe me, I've posted a little bit more than you there.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This picture is from Pro Edition...

OK...

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

VaMPiRiC_CRoW,send this suggestion to Alwil. Enabling or disabling tabs for specific Editions shouldn't be the problem.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

RejZoR,

Forum or email? If it's email, what email?

24. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Forum: http://forum.avast.com/
    Email: support at asw dot cz

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks minacross :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.