AVAST VS nod32 question about trjoan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm not sure
    but i want to change my avast to nod32
    but i don't know about nod32 about trojan and malware
    who is the best?

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

NOD32... :)

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

You can use both if you want (IMON disabled). I do and I only have AMD xp2000 w/1gb ram. I do not notice any drag.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is not recommend to have 2 AV enable at the same time, to avoid problems...

You can use NOD32 for on-access and on-demand protection and avast for on-demand

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I have both as resident with absolutely no problems - no drag. Why? Well, because I/we can and i'm experimenting I guess. Yes, it's not recommended generally with most AV's as they will most likely conflict - but NOD32 and Avast play nice with each other. (as long as IMON is not installed because it will disable Avast's webscanner)

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

like lynchknot, i have also tried/use nod32 and avast together. personally i disable avasts standard scanner cuz it takes a bit of resources. and i would rather disable avasts web scanner than IMON, nod32 is more powerful and more configurable. although from experience two antivirus products shouldnt be installed, nod32 and avast r an exception.

neways my advice is to just disable avast's standard and web shield scanner. the 2 email scanners are up to u and the rest (script, im, p2p, network) should be ok enabled.

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Running two AVs together is possible on some systems in some circumstances as long as no virus or malware is detected. Once something is detected however is where the problem will occur as both AVs try to disinfect the same file with totally unpredictable results, to possibly include, data loss, system lock ups and crashes,etc. This is why it is NOT a recommended practice. AVs normally place hooks into the lowest levels of the OS, both AVs working at such a low level to repair something can cause all sorts of irreversible problems,(short of a previuosly backed up total restore of course).

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

From my tests,avast! and NOD32 can work very well together.
    Just make sure you DO NOT have enabled mail scanning in both antiviruses.
    This may cause problems when fetching email from servers.
    There may also be some conflicts with Web Shield and IMON HTTP Scanner.
    Otherwise Standard Shield and AMON work together without any problems.
    There is also an option to use NOD32 only as heuristic "support" to avast! by disabling Signatures only (in NOD32),but it's better to leave signatures enabled too.

9. WSFuser

just to add to what RejZor said, the web shield and IMON will conflict. i tried it and i couldnt load a single page, even with dsl. as for the standard shield, its depends on how powerful ur computer is.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

NOD has greatly improved its trojan detection in the last year.
    Both are very good for ITW threats. The best depends upon your personal choice between the two and which one suits your computer the best ;)

11. WSFuser

if u want, u can use either nod32 or avast, and get a dedicated antitrojan. on the other hand, if want just one program, kav is good for trojan but it has a heavy resourage usage and doesnt have much room for tweaking.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

WSFuser,

KAV 5.0 is actually very light on the system and causes a minimal performance drain only (mostly unnoticeable). It is not at all like the 4.x versions. There are many users who'll swear by what I've said in this post.

Regards,
    Firecat

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Kav5.0.227 runs extremelly light on my system can't detect any resource hit at all. On my system it runs as light as Nod did.

bigc

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

NOD has not been beaten for ITW in , what seems , a lifetime .

15. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

If KAV will run on your system , it is an excellent choice . I was thinking you were comparing Avast to NOD . Sorry

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

NODs got dangerous new Polish Antivirus that just might break its record....

17. WSFuser

actually, i do run kaspersky internet security 2006 prototype on my comp and its runs well and the scan was fast but i remember at times when kavp v5 and especially kavpp v5 slowed down my comp quite a bit.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just replying to firecat's post

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I've to test it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.