Avast Version 4.7 Home Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by foxygrandma, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Registered Member

I have the above Avast Version, and am running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2, IE6, SP2.

I have the scan set to thorough and to scan the archive files, but when the scan is completed, it always shows Unable To scan Archive. Do not know how to corect this. Does any one here know howo_O?

Thanks much.:oops:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what archive are you trying to scan? im guessing its password-protected and thats why avast cant scan it.

3. foxygrandma

I do not know as in the Thorough Scan it just gives the choice to Scan Archives. It is not broken down as to which archives, as far as I can see.:rolleyes:

4. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Avast used to state that the home edition has only very limited archive scanning capabilities. I would imagine that Avast home edition wouldn't even scan most of the archives associated with WinZip.

Dave

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats not true. avast! Home Edition scan engine is EXACTLY THE SAME as the one found in avast! Professional Edition. So what Pro detects, that Home detects too. Archive scanning capablities are thus exactly the same.
    On-Demand and Explorer extension scan will detect same number of malware in both editions when it comes to unpacking of archives. On-Access scanner is however locked to default settings in Home Edition, so you cannot set it to scan archives on-access. Technically speaking this isn't really a problem and not a security risk of any kind, just a smaller limitation of free edition.

6. foxygrandma

So, it is my operating system that will not let it scan the archives? If this is a foolish question, excuse my 71-year-old brain. Duh!:) :-*

7. foxygrandma

Thank you, Dave. Appreciate your input. Hope I am answering in the right area.:oops:

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

@foxygrandma

I'm not talking about operating systems but different editions of avast!.
    avast! Home Edition is a freeware version, while avast! Professional Edition is payable with more features. Windows edition that you're using has nothing to do with all this if you're using Windows 2000/XP.

9. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

RejZoR, am I reading that avast! home vs. Pro comparison list properly from the avast! page? Here's what I get:

The avast! home edition does have the capability to scan all archives which the Pro version scans, but your only choice of archives to scan, is the default list of archives of avast! home, which does not include all archive types.

I DUNNO!

Dave

UPDATE(?) The home and the Pro scan the same archive types, but(!) Alwil is still adding archive types to both avast! home and avast! Pro. So not all archive types can be scanned until avast! updates the program.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  10. foxygrandma

All right. Thanks much, RejZoR. I appreciate your help.:)

11. foxygrandma

So, it will not scan my archives until it is updated to do so. Gotcha! Thanks. Anna Ruth:)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

On-Demand and Context Explorer scan, scan all archive types.

13. foxygrandma

Uh, Oh! Do not know what you mean by On-Demand and Context Explorer.:eek:

Have to scoot to a doctor appointment. Will check later. Mucho gracias.

14. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

On Demand is when you decide to scan your PC. Set avast! to scan all archive types. Context Explorer refers to right-clicking an item to scan, and scanning files and folders when you open Windows Explorer, you can scan files there.

If RejZoR says that avast! can scan all archive types, then all you need to do is poke around on the scanner's settings until you find the all files. If I recall, avast! has an advanced mode by using the "Show More Info" button. Try that. If that doesn't work, RejZoR, or someone here, can tell you exactly where it is.

Dave

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As i said, all archive types are enabled by default for On-Demand and context menu scan (avast! Home Edition). You can however change them as you wish in Professional Edition...

16. foxygrandma

Oh, is that what they mean. I do that all of the time, just did not know the computerese for it. Thank you for the lesson.:) Now I am that much smarter.:thumb:

The only section I have never used is the Alerts section where I can send virus warnings. When I select the Scan Level, I always select the thorough scan.

When I select the scan area and choose Local Disks, a box pops up that shows Thorough Scan, and Scan Archive Files is checked. If I choose the scan area as Folders, I check everything but Floppy and DVD-CD-RW drives I press Okay and the popup box shows Thorough Scan, and Scan Archive Files is checked. And when the scan is running, the Scan archive Files shows as being Enabled.

Just ran a scan and again got Unable to Scan Archives.

Sure do not see an advanced area or a Show More Information button. And just two months ago, my eyeglass prescription was changed.:oops:

Thank you.

17. foxygrandma

So, bottom line, if I want my archives scanned, I would need to get the professional edition. Okay, thanks.:ouch: The only thing I pay for is Registry Mechanic.

18. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

No, in order to change what archives you want scanned (such as only scan archive x instead of archive x,y,z) then you need to pay.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

19. foxygrandma

Oh, Well, to heck with the Archives.:) ;) :D :cool:

Thank you, Alphalutra1 (boy, what a long name);) :) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.