Avast 2015 releases

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Hide individual ones you rarely use, and don't need to see. Just keep the relevant ones there. Problem solved, no need to expand to see what you want to see, and what you don't need to see goes away.. Turn off garbage icons like Security Center Flag, etc.

2. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

that's exactly what I do man....

2014-11-22_110947.png

3. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

If i deactivate NG,is Avast's protection crippled?If yes,in what way?

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Slightly, though cloud heuristics now work in realtime and the very moment someone with NG will detect a malware, you'll be protected against it in the exact same moment even though you're not using NG tech. This wasn't possible before, because the cloud processing wasn't possible in such a way.

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thank you for the information.

6. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! I re-installed Avast A/V Pro...and am suitably impressed with it's Perfomance. Just a couple of Issues...I noticed that the updates are Streamed...I noticed that the Pop-Up doesn't announce Virus Databases have been Updated. And when I set up a Scan Schedule...as opposed to the previous version again; there was no pop-up box showing that the scan had initiated. I had to manually initiate the scan. Now after the initial set-up last night; I ran a Full System Scan...could it be that it skips Monday's scan and proceeds until the Wednesday Scan...which is a Quick Scan. This is unusual as opposed too what I'm familiar with. Anybody experienced a Similar Issue? Sincerely...Securon

7. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

The pupop for Updates got removed.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

working very well for me and lighter then anything else. I really love what Avast has done to the GUI.

9. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

I updated to the latest version about 3 weeks ago and immediately started getting an illegal copy of Windows 7 message on boot up. For several days, this happened. I suspected Avast was causing it because it didn't do it and hadn't been for 3 years until I rebooted after updating. I don't use an illegal copy of Windows 7 and never have. It is the OEM version that came on it when I purchased it. I had been considering getting rid of Avast and that is what gave me the push. I uninstalled it with their Avast Clear and I haven't had that problem since. Now I use Emsisoft Anti-Malware. As I understand, it is also an anti-virus.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Bought AVAST IS a couple of days ago, and immediately wished I had taken the trial first. In their sandbox, Firefox, MSIE 9 and Google all freeze. Firefox instantly. Google will run for a minute or two and MSIE about the same. I checked the AVAST forum and found a thread with a lot of people having the same problem. I posted there also but no replies yet. I'm on an old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. No hardware virtualization available, if that matters and running Win Vista with all current updates. Tried all the fixes mentioned in the thread with no luck.

I'll probably keep AVAST since I paid for it, but will drop back to the free version next November when the license runs out.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It's probably not too late to ask for a refund if you like.

12. niki

niki Registered Member

Yesterday I ran a scan with free Avast v 2014 and for the first time in my life it showed false positives (Macrium Reflect). I didn't know how to deal with that (panicked) and decided to dump Avast after many years, (anyone remember Avasts GUI *radio* v 4.8?) Part of this decision was also that their latest versions have become way too bloated. Did a restore to a previous date and installed Microsoft Security Essentials for now which of course didn't give any FP for Macrium Reflect.
    In the mean time I will check out other AVs which don't have that much bloat and give few or no false positives.

Avast! has lost me as their long time customer.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Erm, what bloat? If you haven't unchecked stuff thatyou don't need during install, you can do so in Programs and Features menu of Windows. Ther eis no bloat in avast!...

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

. I got the same result this morning.
    I told Avast to do nothing
    I am about ready to do that myself. Avast is also blocking updating of Flash plugin and Flash active x and Avast has a hand in blocking Windows update and the Windows built in app store

15. niki

niki Registered Member

I've always done a custom install with Avast. Just don't like all the added stuff, too much bloat. An antivirus should be foremost focused on being an ANTIVIRUS and nothing else. Spreading focus on things other than being an antivirus is not a good thing. Avast has always been *famous* for false positives so they need to improve their false positive findings as well. I've been reading Avast Forums, especially after new versions came out (always waited) and didn't like what I read about v 2015 so I decided to wait with installing 2015. Good thing I didn't. Okay, I had only the Macrium FP but that is 1x too many!!

16. niki

niki Registered Member

Carver, you too eh? Thing is that this was the first FP that I got since using v. 4.8, didn't know what to do and in panic clicked on some buttons (don't remember which ones) even though it was said the Avast is notorious in false positives. Additionally, Avast has become way to intrusive imho. I hadn't updated yet to v2015 since I always read their forum when a new version comes out. Much of what I read about Avast in their forum I just didn't like about the new 2015. So goodbye Avast!

I used their uninstall program, avast clear, in safe mode and after using it I used Search Everything and there are still at least 15 Avast items still showing. Tried to delete but no such luck.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Still haven't received an answer as to why the pop-up no longer emerges to inform you of a Scheduled Scan being initiated! I navigated to the Gui clicked on quick scan and it showed that a scan was in progress...but it didn't start at the scheduled time...only when I manually clicked on Quick Scan. To me it's imperative that I have proof that the scan initiates when the time Set to Scan Schedule...works as advertised. And I agree 100 percent with you niki...Protection and Detection...Pure and Simple. Sincerely...Securon

18. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Should i leave quick scan on default settings or is there some recommended tweaks i should do?

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

20. ance

ance formerly: fmon

The first false positive here as well. I can live with 90 % detection but I can't live with annoying false positives. Please check your signatures and heuristics Avast!

Edit: I disabled the shields to recover the file. Now it's impossible to enable all shields again. Wow, very nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  21. Zenphic

Zenphic Registered Member

Does anyone know how to add a "No Action" or "Do Nothing" action when Avast picks up a false positive on either the File System Shield or Web Shield?

22. tgell

tgell Registered Member

According to avast it's not going to happen. Even if they buried it deep into the settings, they still think it not wise to have an ignore button. They figure too many people automatically hit ignore.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=156801.0

23. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

This is one of the reasons I dropped it....I passed a 360 day licence to someone else and opted for NOD32, a much better choice for me, I prefer an AV that offers me a choice of action upon a detection.

24. Zenphic

Zenphic Registered Member

Ugh, that's unfortunate. I regularly have to turn off Avast because of that. I guess I'll just go ahead and submit more files to them for analysis. Thanks for the reply!

Asides from the lack of ignore option, Avast is still my go-to free antivirus. I would love to switch to something else, but as far as I know other free options either have nag screens (not that Avast doesn't have its own advert notifications), slow the system down or have poorer detection rates.

25. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.