avast! v.6.0.1119 Release Candidate Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

avast! v.6.0.1119 Release Candidate Released

What's New:
    • Solved a problem in aswSP.sys that could lead to a system crash
    • Improved tolerance for corrupted installations
    • When updating from a previous version of avast Pro/IS, SafeZone is now automatically added
    • Fixes in Chrome WebRep plugin
    • Behavior Shield: improved compatibility with other applications
    • Improvements in the CommunityIQ submission system

Install Instructions
    Just run the setup executable (links above). You can either install it from scratch,
    or on top of an existing avast installation (installing over both 5.0.xxx or 4.8.yyy should be fine).
    A reboot will be required to complete the installation.

Download: avast! RC v.6.0.1119

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thanx for the update

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Smooth install here...no issues so far. (Did a clean install)

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Must have been ur pc problem not avast
    and out of millions of avast users only a handful are getting bsod...

6. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

happy to say the bug with running Sandboxie and avast are now fixed.

thank you

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have never had a BSOD and all I did was install avast, so how can it be my PC problem? How is it the PCs fault that avast crashed my system? It's happened to many others too.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

installed the IS and all is running well as usual

9. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

stable as can be for me. what all do you have running that could be causing a conflict? Could be something basic like a disk space issue. regardless this should be an easy fix and remember no program can install on millions of machines perfectly 100% of the time, there are even errors for some installing MS apps on their own operating system (for instance getting an error installing MS office).

10. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Agreed.:)

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

heck, I actually came back to Avast. It had grown on me, well that, and most other software is just plain crap.;)

12. carat

carat Guest

For 2-3 days ... ;)

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Yep - the countdown clock starts ticking...:cool:

14. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

NEW AVAST PROGRAM UPDATE RELEASE CANDIDATE 6.0.1119(..is this the last? --that was removed now at the avast forums:D :D :D )

Might as well ask this question here. I have observed that the RC for Avast will not accept the manual vps update downloaded from the site. It wll load only the vps update for the stable version. Current stable version is ver6.0.1091 right..

I asked it there at the avast forums but nobody seems to confirm it there.

-- :D I seem to see that trjam's avatar changes from the Avira red unbrella to the Avast blob often.
    I use both Avira an Avast on my pc's. Both has grown on me :p

15. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

It does grow on you...I have the same issue. I wonder why that is? I think they use alien technology and are controlling our thoughts! Little weekend humor....

16. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

For me avast! is all that an AV should be. They have nailed design, performance, usability, interaction, aesthetics and on top of that are eager to solve customer reported issues. Now only if they could release a new version for OS X soon.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You didn't mention Avast's actual protective ability. I suppose that one good reason for omitting that aspect of Avast's performance is that Avast does NOT equal the top tier performers at AV-C et alia.

18. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

When a PC gets infected, not always but usually it's because the user was stupid enough. An 85%, 90%, 95%, 99.9% score is not going to change that. So I ask myself, if no solution can be 100%, why not go with something that does it better than all others in all other areas, and does reasonably good in one area that is being constantly worked upon by it's makers.
    I do not know of many other solutions that look upon this problem in a holistic manner, rather than just aiming to ace another tightly controlled test.
    If it's just about that, then I guess Microsoft should just buy Avira and bundle it with Windows.

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

last i checked with the most recent tests, Avast held up pretty well. 98.6%(98.8% if u include the user dependent part) on the March 2011 dynamic test that they released the graph for, and 98.4% on the February on-demand test, doing better than some AV's that people deem to be "high detection" AV's.

as a matter of fact, just to name some that it did better than in the on demand test, heres a list of AV's it beat(important vendors to me at least):
    Avira
    AVG
    Bitdefender
    FSecure
    Kaspersky
    ESET
    Norton
    Panda
    MSE
    Mcafee

and for the dynamic test it still fairs pretty well compared to other vendors, quite competitive in its dynamic protection performance

20. m0unds

m0unds Guest

what were you doing when you got the BSOD? one of my friends can make avast BSOD on demand (latest stable AIS build) just by leaving the behavior blocker properties panel open for any length of time. he'd never had a BSOD until after installing avast.

21. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I'm happy that I can use Sandboxie with Avast Internet Security with no noticeable problems. Avast is doing quite well with the Virus Bulletin RAP tests. It has higher results than BitDefender, Symantec, F-Secure, Sunbelt and Webroot.

Avast is one of the few that doesn't slow down my three year old laptop computer. Another good thing I was able to snag a free license from the Avast Facebook security contest a few months ago. :D

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I was doing absolutely nothing. I never do anything when something is installing.

Then all of a sudden, avast gave me a BSOD, something I have never had before.

I installed this one:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

I recommend people STAY AWAY from that avast.:thumbd:

23. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thank you for ur input :cautious: :shifty:

24. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Avast have a very high detection rate, but comes also with false positives

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

As a user of avast AIS im inclined to believe that the behaviour blocker is responsible for many problems ,simply because it is a hips of some sort that most definitly interferes with other hips type programs or drivers .The problem for me is that avasts behaviour blocker is somewhat elusive in what it does.If i had popups like OA or comodo ,everytime some .dll or process was checked ,then id think hang on.....id better watch what i install with this.But because avasts behaviour blocker is so quiet without many popups or controls ,that just runs quietly in the background ,i think i can sometimes forget ,the potential for conflicts with other software and low level hooks or drivers.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.