Avast slows me down, what about AVG?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Slovak, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Avast or AVG? I am currently using Avast on my win2k and winXP machines, and both experience slow downs while sending/receiving emails and web browsing. On this win2k it is currently using 18Mb of memory :eek: Any ides if AVG uses less and does not cause the slowdowns like Avast? I had Panda 7 free one year, and still do, but am rather disappointed in the fact that it failed to catch a virus, and simple trojan that even Avast caught for me.
    I would be more than happy to purchase a commercial AV, but I am a poor man at the moment trying to recover from Xmas and the holidays.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have only had my copy for about a week. I run it on my Compaq Celeron chipped, 800mhz, 256 ram, 4 years old machine. AVG 7 Free functions well for me. No slow downs and no problems. Like it alot.

I would suggest you listen to more opinions before deciding what course to take. ;) Poor man LOL....I feel your pain. ;)

3. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AVG Free Edition (FE) is one of the lightest AV I've used and it far lighter than avast! Home on my laptop. If AVG FE doesn't conflict with something on your computer so AVG FE should run smoothly and doesn't introduce unacceptable slowdown. My laptop is Pentium-M 1.3 GHz, 256 of RAM, Windows XP Pro SP1, AVG FE runs very smoothly, no glitches, no problems and I haven't noticed any unacceptable slowdown but above all, AVG FE does its job at best by catching every worms that come via e-mail by its e-mail scanner/attachment filter as far as I've seen.

I use Opera as my default browser, Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 (very light on resource) and also run SpywareBlaster, Spybot's TeaTimer in real time on my laptop so adware, spyware, BHO and other stupid hijacker are not my problem.

But remember that AVG seems to focus mainly to detect only today's most dangerous malware such as ITW viruses/worms, common trojans and some dangerous spyware and AVG FE has no complete auto update as avast! Home does but this shouldn't be a problem.

Attached Files:

• avg.gif
      avg.gif
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Slovak,

can you say what is your computer description?

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

P-III Tualatin w/512 cache, 512Mb Mushkin Rev. 3 ram, ATI 9800XT, Audigy 2 ZS, Toshiba DVD, Lite-On CDRW, twin Maxtor fluid dynamic bearing 120Gb ATA 133 drives, win2k on one, Slackware 10 on the other, Lian-Li alumanum case, Enermax 431 PSU, ASUS TUSL2-C mobo.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have an avast installed on my desktop (PIII 500MHz, 512Kb L2 Cache, SDRAM 320MB) and it slow something but it's very supportable...
    AVG use less resources than, so you can try it...

7. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Avast Home is too slow on my mobile PIV with 256MB RAM. Maybe its the 'a' that keeps rotating around, which may be making me think like that. Even McAfee seems faster

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that you can have another problem...

To disable the animated icon, edit the avast4.ini on the DATA sub-folder of avast, and put the next setting:

[AAVM]
    AnimateIcon=1

OR

use the avast! External Control, and select the 'avast! Tweaker' and uncheck the "Use animated tray icon".

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hello everyone!

I'm not too good at this stuff but I think Avast! has a better detection rate than AVG. If Slovak's (or anybody else's) computer just slows down while sending/recieving emails and web browsing, then you can disable the e-mail scanner or real time scanner, and use AVG as replacement. This way, AVG can protect e-mail and offer real time protection, and Avast! can be used as an On Demand Scanner (its detection IS better, right?). And yes, AVG is very light on the system. I had a P3 once, wth only 64MB RAM and it ran butter smooth even then (v6, not v7 ---> I do not know about v7 much). Do not hesitate to correct me if I am wrong anywhere please.

Regards,
    Firecat

10. Zom

Zom Guest

We used to evaluated Avast on our large network in a past few months and we're pleased by powerful abilities of Avast Distributed Network Manager (ADNM) but unfortunately, Avast slows client machines down because most of our machines are quite old, Winme-Celeron 600 MHz-96 MB of RAM, WinXP-Celeron 1.3 GHz-256 MB of RAM, Laptop-WinXP-Celeron 1.7 GHz-128 MB of RAM

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I was running Norton 2003 on Celeron 333 with 64MB RAM and it worked just fine. I pretty much doubt that such machine(in your case even more powerful) could not handle avast! which is lighter. But i recommend only Standard Shield and Network Shield for maximal performance with no compromised security.
    Other provider might create a slightly higher overhead since they check archives too.

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I found avast a little heavier than avg6 but definitly not as heavy as avg7.What i would say though is to use a "lighter" skin rather than the default .I liked the flat and simple one which seemed to p[en easier than the dfault skin
    http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html
    also disable sounds which can cause slowdown on older operating systems ,especiallu upon detection of malware.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.