Avast slows down my pc

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mike6080919395, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

+1
    Agreed.

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

hey what's a NAS?

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

It's like a central station that works like a server, often it consists of RAID configured drives with the option to easily plug in additional drives for backup. We have this kind of configuration in our home through a Q-NAP. For example we use it to store and share important files, as well as sharing the printer.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

may i ask a question ?
    i installed avast , update , and run full system scan ->it stores the data in persistent cache
    now i have the persistent cache of all my programs

but avast ,when i run a program , checks only the checksum (the hash) ?

will it check the checksum only for ever ?
    in short does avast resident shield scan a file using the virus database only once,doesn't it?

6. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

My first suggestions were in the mindset of "a tool for every job and a job for every tool."

Some less costly alternatives:

1. About $50 - Go buy an Intel brand PCI Express NIC. (Not a shill for Intel, there NIC cards are among the better brands.)

If you must run one, or multiple, download managers, at least take some of the burden off your CPU. Wit a good quality NIC you will at least take the networking overhead off of your CPU(even better if @WireSpeed)

2. Free - Get all your download managers and other software up and running. Then open Windows task manager with administrative privileges. Take a look at the performance tab and make note of the logical processor cores that look to be "unbusy."

Then go to the Processes tab of taskmanager and locate the process(es) for your download manager(s). Right click on each process and choose "Set Affinity" Remove the check marks from all CPUs except the previously notated "unbusy" cores. Attempt to save your settings and exit*.

I say attempt because you may get a disallowed message or you may notice no change in the functioning of those processes. If so it is because your download maanger software was not written for multi core CPU use. (In which case you have found one more reason your download managers may seem to bog down your computer.)

Even if item 2 works a treat, it will only hold until your next reboot.
    But meh... it's a free fix. Like with many things in life - you get what you pay for.

Hogwash?
    Note, it may cross your mind, what balderdash, my PC and download managers always worked fine before Avast. After Avast, my PC is slow, it must be a problem with Avast.

But that's kinda like dropping a hammer on your toe. Right before the hammer impacts your toe a lady across the room sneeezes. And then as you wail in pain you start barking at the lady for injuring your toe....

Yes, many people run Avast.
    Yes, many people run Windows.
    Yes Avast runs fast on a clean OS install.
    But...
    No, most people do not run download managers, Foxit, FF5, and whatever other myriad of stuff you loaded, in the exact configuration you have on an nForce chipset system.

And FWIW, I would argue to say your PC is a clean install and then mentioning all the third party software you did is rather the makings of an oxymoron.

In sum.
    You can uninstall, reinstall, search for different software and different AVs.
    But if you truly want your PC to 'feel fast' and be at the ready, try to offload from your CPU as many constant and redundant tasks as you can.
    And if your time is worth money,
    It may in the end be less costly to buy a NAS and run your downloads from there, than the cost of your time to throw away countless weekend and evening hours rearranging people in a crowded room.

One other free option?
    Get with the cloud.

It's nice to have a shiny bobble in your hand or a piece of software on your own PC hard drive. That is, afterall, how we have all done computing up til now.
    But today so much content can be stored to or streamed from the Cloud - think Google Apps, Google Youtube, Amazon, and many cloud storage providers.

In cases where cloud storage and streaming won't give you the decompressed quality you want? Well, that should bring you back to NAS.
    Kinda like your own home "mini cloud"

But in the end, you are offloading work.

Thoughts from the PC builder in me:

If you embrace NAS and / or cloud computing you soon realize, unless you are a daily gamer, your PC has morphed into simply being a terminal to the cloud.
    And as such you really don't need massive amounts of RAM, huge expensive internal HDDs, bleeding edge CPUs. You just need a nimble terminal to your mini cloud or 'maxi cloud' (LOL)
    And such a nimble style computer could be built quite inexpensively.
    The money you save could go towards the other suggestions above.

Digression ... on Cloud computing

Yes there is the 'chicken little' mantra that the cloud will fail you (or fall on you.) But if your PC is currently bogged down, it seems your own self managed computer system is failing you as it is.

Furthermore I think of my grandmother who refused til her dying day to ever use Crusie Control in the car; stating she was more safe if she was in cotrol of the car.

Truth be told grandma was an awful driver. And while feeling a sense of peace because she controlled the vehicle, upon examination, certainly did not make her more safe... it just made her feel more in control.

Same with the cloud vs "... I gotta have my stuff on my PC."

The cloud can have a major data loss or a wild spreading virus.
    But so can you, right at home.
    The difference being "the cloud" employs trained professionals 24/7 to deal with such problems - arguably a better resource than you sweating and cursing in front of your own PC when a hard drive fails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.