Avast Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by murphy2010, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think this is about to be addressed with 5.1. Things change very frequently.

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Good, I hope so.
    Regards,
    Jerry

3. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

If I saw more than two consecutive mediocre results at av comparatives, maybe I'd be concerned.

One doesn't bother me. At all.

4. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Those were my thoughts before seeing the September part of the Whole Product Dynamic 2010 a minute ago (I'd call ~95% mediocre).
    Good thing I used, and emphasized, the word "might" though because I still don't care.

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

AIS is a very configurable, "no nonsense" suite. Unfortunately, I get a lot of kernel time coming from tdi.sys when running uTorrent with AIS installed (due to the firewall) which causes micro-stuttering. Other than that, ran nicely.

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I am loving avast right now and waiting for 5.1
    the only one thing i dont like about avast is its scanning of media files
    suppose there is a 700 mb movie file den avast scans it at some mbs per second
    whereas the same file is scanned in a mili second bye mse and avira

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Champ, I am checking on that for you.

8. ALookingInView

I believe there's a "Scan whole files" option. If so just uncheck it.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is what I got at the Avast forum.

"Add the path to the file type to the exclusions lists:
    File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
    avast Settings, Exclusions

e.g. c:\media_folder\*.wma etc. (all .wma files in the media_folder) or c:\*\*.wma (all .wma files on the C: drive) or c:\media_folder\* (all files in the media_folder).

The exclusion of all files in a folder and not by file type could drive a coach and horses through your security."

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

where do i change d setting for that scan whole file option
    i am right clicking on a folder and doing a scan..i dont see option to change settings for that scan

and trjam i didnt understand
    i have many media files like avi , mkv , mpeg etc etc
    i would have to add each extension to exclusion and that will not help when im right clicking on folder and scanning

11. ALookingInView

Main Interface > Scan Computer > Scan from Windows Explorer > More details > Settings > Sensitivity > Test whole files
    That'll take care of the context menu (right click) scanning, but be sure to configure the other scans that you'll be using as well.

From avast! 5 Help: Test whole files (may be very slow for big files) - checking this box will result in scanned files being tested fully, not just those parts of a file which are normally affected by viruses. Most viruses are normally found either at the beginning of a file, or at the end. Checking this box will therefore result in a more thorough scan, but will also slow the scan down.

12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

That solved the problem .. thanx a lot :thumb:

13. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Avast is good. Light and dependable!

Any good settings you guys can recommend for PrevX and Avast free to co-exist together?

Avst in realtime and Prevx as on-demand or both realtime? Maybe a good settings that you guys did that worked. Possibly for XP SP3 and Win7.

Thanks!

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had both running real time with hardly any system impact at all. In Avast I just changed some of the sensitivity setting - a bit higher. Also added the ability to scan for PUPS. In Prevx I kept everything pretty much in default except for Safe Online which I turned way back.

15. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have avast and prevx running real time both running at default without any problems

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Stopped using Avast, because the GUI wouldn't startup anymore on my Windows 7 64-bit system. Tried re-installing, uninstall tool, deleting traces, etc, but to no avail.

Now using AVG Free for real-time antimalware. LinkScanner seems to work better without Avast around (no more resource hog).

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

so you dont bother to address your issue in the Avast support forum for assistance, how did you expect it to get resolved. As far as resource hungry, I am still laughing at that remark. Enjoy AVG.:cautious:

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just to clarify, Firefox was resource hungry with AVG Linkscanner and Avast real-time. That's probably why AVG listed Avast as incompatible.

Anyhow, AVG resource usage vs Avast is around the same. Also, its Identity Protection is much better than Avast's Behaviour Shield.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

For now, because Behavior Shield is currently focused on exploits and rootkits only. It was meant to be called Exploit Shield at first but later decided to go this way as far as naming is concerned. avast! 5.1 and avast! 6.0 will have system wide malware detection through Behavior Shield.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

correct, 5.1 will be better then you make think.:)

21. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

It would be an interesting test to remove all of AVG - including the linkscanner - before making that resource comparison, since Avast has a similar technology built-in.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't think I'll try Avast again until the release of 5.1. Didn't have Web Shield enabled when using LinkScanner.

23. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thanks trjam for the discount code. I just bought 2 years Avast Pro for $33.00.

Hey guys,

I have avast set to use ports 80,443 and I can't get it to update. What are you guys using? Unless I haven't added the right .exe to windows firewall for outbound.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Web shield scans the web traffic, but the network shield has the URL filter.

25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

That discount code is still working and I am going to purchase Avast Pro very soon. I was wondering if the settings it comes with are plenty good for protection or is tweaking necessary. My Avira does require lotsa tweaks, I could go for some of those tweaks:eek: ;) A big thanks to TRJAM for helping us with this discount..:thumb: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.