avast! Professional - what benefits in comparison to Home?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by raven211, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hello! :)

As many have probably seen, I think avast! is doing a great job, even if it could be a lot lighter. :p

What I'm wondering is, what are the benefits of the pro-edition in comparison to Home? Does for example PUSH-updates really work, or is the software just checking more often? It seems kinda impossible really. :p And what about the Script Blocker? Does this provide a fair amount of additional protection?

That stuff and much more I'm wondering about, like the usefulness of the Advanced interface. ;)

Thx a lot for any help on this! :)

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, the greatest advantages are far more settings and faster updates (same will apply to avast! 5 with special 10 minute updates for pro users, similar to Pulse Updates in Norton). Other than that they are pretty similar.
    Oh and free version can ONLY be used for personal non commercial usage while Pro version can be used for home and commercial purposes.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm got anymore info about avast! 5?

4. raven211

Sounds great. :) Could you name a few examples of the useful options and maybe the Script Blocker? Are you running avast! Professional yourself?

EDIT: Oh right... and will it also deliver better performance? Is there a beta version available?

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Can't wait to try that out! Avast runs very well on my computer, but I'm keeping my current AV until version 5 comes out. Should be out for testing very soon?

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats what they said, but it's been silent since then. But they are working hard because only igor and yesterday Vlk lurked a bit around forums, otherwise they are not even near as active there as they used to be. But with good reason:D

8. bollity

bollity Registered Member

9. raven211

Okay, if I understand this correctly, Script Blocker will basically scan and block any malicious scripts too (in any web-browser?), running as another provider. RejZoR, could you please confirm this? :)

Also... if I purchase the pro-version of v4.8, will that license work for v5 when it becomes available as well? :doubt:

10. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

check the avast forum, you can find there info about the script blocker and the web-shield. in short, web-shield is a newer addition to avast than script blocker. according to the developers, the script blocker COULD find more threats than web-shield, but it's not a guarantee. they even considered dropping the script blocker in avast v5. finally, they decided to keep it also in version 5.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, Web Shield is at the entry point so it's most likely it will already pick malware even before it hits Script Blocker which is positioned behind Web Shield.
    So it may or may not provide extra protection. It's hard to estimate that but if you have it ready there it can't really hurt. Pretty much all the currently actual redirectors and iframes are detected by Web Shield these days.

If you purchase avast! 4.8 Professional, the license will apply to any upcoming releases for as long as the license is valid. And it will only apply to the same edition. So if you bought it for avast! 4.8 Professional, it will only apply to upcoming avast! 5.0 Professional, but not to avast! 5.0 Internet Security (if there will be one of course).

12. progress

progress Guest

What does it mean exactly? I only noticed a rootkit check 7-8 minutes after boot, is this the Avast Anti-Rootkit Protection? No way to manual scan for rootkits like in Avira? :rolleyes:

13. i_g

i_g Registered Member

You can create an antirootkit task in the Professional version.

14. progress

progress Guest

I see, thank you :)

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

If I would buy Avast Pro now, I wonder if they would offer an upgrade discount if they have Avast Internet Security?

16. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

If you do decide to buy avast! 4.8 Pro, if no better offer available from the website, upgrading from within avast! Home (right-click tray icon > 'Upgrade to avast! Professional Edition') gets a 20% discount.

17. bollity

avast needs to be completely redesigned and i think they will do that in version 5.
    the design that looks like media player, unorganized settings,and should also have a lower number of running services in the task manager.

18. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

You know the skin can easily be turned off?

19. bollity

an antivirus with skins lol :D
    imagine avast stands between other antiviruses and says" hey i'm the antivirus with skins" :D

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And whats wrong with the number of services? It has so many because of the modularity. ashServ.exe, ashDisp.exe and one updater which name i can't recall right now. All others appear only if you install the provider.
    Plus they all have similar names so when you list them in Task Manager, they are neatly packed together so you don't have to chase them around.
    Sure it could have just 1 or 2 processes, but i don't find current state to be bad at all. Have you ever tried F-Secure? I think they've cleaned it up a bit but it used to have dozen of processes with different naming schemes scattered all over the Task Manager list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.