avast! Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xxJackxx, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

After reading another thread on web scanners and seeing avast! recommended as one of the fastest I thought I would try it out. I installed a trial of the Pro version and I must say I am very impressed with the lightness of it. It is like running nothing at all. Especially on my 64 bit machine. It looks like it rates pretty highly on detection lately, but since I have never used it before, I was wondering what kind of luck others have had with it. I intend to keep it through the trial period and maybe purchase it afterwards if no problems come up between now and then, but I have to wonder if something this light is effective. Is this a good quality product worthy of my money? And before anyone says it, no, I am not interested in the free version... Thanks.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Jack, nothing wrong with Avast, it's a top program. The pro version, from memory, updates more frequently, has a script blocker, command-line scanner, and a different interface. Worth the cash? I think so. Heaps of Avast users on here.

The good news, is with version 5 approaching shortly which will have a list of new features, your license will carry over to the new version. Talk is a behaviour blocker and firewall may be offered, or just the standard AV. With version 5, there might be more differences between pro and free.

Before you buy, feel free to ask the Avast staff any questions at:

avast! 4.x Home/Pro (click second link down)
    http://forum.avast.com/

They are on there everyday.

3. xxJackxx

Thanks for the info. I've only been running it 2 days and I am leaning very heavily toward buying it. Even though I already have licenses for 3 other products. o_O

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Yes, it's a very good product. Very stable and they are quick to fix problems and bring improvements. It's also good to support a company that offers the free version that isn't lacking any major features of the paid version. The detection has realy improved in the last months and is usually just behind avira and gdata now.

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The most likely reason you don't read much about it on forums is that people install it and are usually happy with it. It rarely seems to cause any problems or conflicts with other programs.

It is very light. You won't have any problems with it, and you can configure it to suit your needs.

Just don't have your speakers turned all the way up when you finally come across a web page that has a trojan. ;)

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

My favorite Free AV right now.
    (I even uninstalled my Avira premium)
    I hope the v5 free release won't add registration popups.
    The current release isn't bothering us, thanks.

@Saraceno: you can disable acoustic alerts, FYI...

7. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Also!
    If you read the Avast Guide .. You'll find that both the Free and Paid version of Avast have a few little hidden gems ;)

Like!
    Did you know that if you want it to.. Avast can do - Idle Time Scanning
    ?
    The Avast Screen Saver Scanner :cool:
    You can set it to scan each time your screen saver comes on :D

I got the guide from a link that Page42 posted - Here : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237453&highlight=Avast User Guide ( Post No : 19 )

I think it can also be found on the Avast website.

I'm using Avast Home :thumb:
    As long as v5 is just as good as v4.8 ... I can't ever see me wanting to change to something else.
    Already Been There - Done That :rolleyes: ....... So I'm Stickin With... Avast :cool:

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I started using avast! Pro seven months ago and haven't had one single problem with it. When I first built my Windows Home Server I was looking around to see what AV protection was around for it. At the time only three companies had specialized WHS programs--McAfee, F-Secure, and Alwil. I tried out the avast! WHS Family Pack which consists of one WHS 4.8 Pro license and up to ten avast! Pro licenses for the clients. It has been a very light and troublefree program for me.

9. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

I Love The Avast Alerts :cool:
    Fantastic if you've got kids!

When we had AVG on the Desktop Computer..
    Every time my little lad left the computer to nip to the loo or eat tea. I used to have to run in the front room - Open AVG - Check if it had updated :(

With Avast However..
    I don't have to keep checking if it's updated :)
    I Just Shout... " Has the Avast Man been yet? "
    Son Shouts... " Yes Mum! "
    So Much Easier :D

10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I don't use the sounds myself you can change the voice if you wanted to. I almost jumped out of my skin when I first tried home a few years ago and got the first "Your database has been updated!" with my 7.1 surround set kind of high, lol.

avast! forum post

11. xxJackxx

This is what I was starting to wonder. You never see much discussion on avast! and I figured either it wasn't that popular or there weren't that many problems. It looks like the latter is the case. I've already changed the sounds. :D Thanks everyone for the input. I'm pretty sure I've found my new AV. I'll test it this week at work. I may have them switch over to avast! as well. :thumb:

12. i_g

i_g Registered Member

There are over 80 millions of avast! users all over the world ;)

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have to agree with all on this topic. It really is a nice AV. I am using Avira now but Avast has always been a great AV for me in the past.

Ice

14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

See my sig. :D Not been a fan till I got Silent Mode on. Seems to be working just fantastic, and probably the most full-featured, free AV out there with great capabilities. ;) Great shields and comments on it too by users, the web-shields supposed to be very good - please repeat if you have any opinion, I would gladly like to hear it. :)

15. ypestis

ypestis Guest

I agree with the positive reviews of AVAST! it is a comfortable as a nice pair of broken in shoes.
    no surprises.
    As Saraceno noted,the Avast! forum is really helpful as well.
    I had changed the sounds to a sultry female voice,till someone told me
    the default voice was Brent Spinner,Star Trek's "Mr Data".
    I don't know if it really is, but listen..Sounds like him.

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Used Avast Home almost three years. Before that AVG, Norton, Avira (then Antivir).
    Avira is pretty good, no complaints except for slow updates.

But Avast is the one that has never given me a reason to even be curious about changing.

17. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

avast! is superb. One of the things that I didn't like, however, was something with avast!'s Web Shield. If you downloaded a file from your web browser and it was a false positive, the only option was to terminate the connection. So I had to disable the Web Shield, download the file, and then enable it again. This is only a problem with false positives, however; it's obviously a plus if you were visiting an infected webpage ;) .

Other than that, it's magnificent. I just wish that the devs wouldn't be so tight-lipped about v5, which seems to have been in the works for quite some time now.

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I was about to ask about that! Thanks for the info ;)

19. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I use this one for update notifications.
    (Rename the text file to a dot wav extension after downloading -and scanning of course- for it to play.)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.