Avast Pro or Bit Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by legendary, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legendary

legendary Registered Member

Hello all ive been reading these boards for about 3 months and really enjoy the information~
    I bought a Vista ready PC yesterday and i need to know through opinions if i should use the Vista Firewall along with Avast Pro OR use BitDefender Internet Security.
    I have only 1 gig of ram on my machine.
    Also would i be better of buying TrendMicro ISecurity or CA ISecurity if my 2 choices are no good?

THANKS in advance.

Gil

2. legendary

Wow no advice?:'(

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sorry, its late at night here. :D

id recommend bitdefender internet security 10 for sure,

if www.ebuyer.com delivers to your country, the OEM can be purchased very cheaply from there for bitdefender IS.

bitdefender IS is very low on ram, and if your using vista or planning to, your ram may struggle, id recommend using XP and bitdefender 10 out of your choices made.

add another 1gb if you plan on going to vista, bitdefender is already vista-ready too.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have to agree with C.S.J, if BitDefender 10 is as light on resources as has been stated and if you add one more Gig of ram when you upgrade to Vista.

5. legendary

Thanks all,! is CA lighter or trend Micro lighter? Also by disabling Windows fiewall and defender will it be lighter by using the bitdefender package? I will have only 1 GB of memory for at least 2 weeks untill i can upgrade.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If it runs well on your system, of the two mentioned, BD would be my recommendation.

Jerry

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

bitdefender is way ahead of ca and its very light on pc..so you won'y have to disable anything to make it run properly..

8. suedehead

suedehead Registered Member

definitely BitDefender! as previously mentioned, it doesnt eat up too much of the PC's resources, and it has yet to endanger our network by missing a virus or two. basically's its the easy-to-forget kind of application - which i think is a good criteria for a good antivirus.

9. legendary

Is it lighter then Avast Pro?

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dono if its lighter than BD but i would reccomend BD if it runs on your pc.
    lodore

11. legendary

Thank u ! I'll see if it runs,what should i expect if it doesn't run? Also if it doesn't what should be choice 2?

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Go with avast!. BitDefender has good detection rate but it's so damn slow...
    And i'm using Athlon 3200+ and 1,5GB of RAM with 200GB ATA133 disk drive...

13. legendary

What do you mean by slow? Does it slow my machine down?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It did mine. Badly. Very badly. avast! HE didn't on the other hand. Also BD10 works well under XP, but terribly under Vista...

15. legendary

Ok well is Avast better then CA & Trend internet Security? I just hear that Windows defender uses alot of memory, since i only have 1 gig of memory for vista that worries me?
    What do u suggect i use for Vista that uses less resources then Windows Defender & Windows Firewall?

16. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

What it means is that the scanner is a little slow then Avast's, something xfiles/s slower. This doesn't mean that BitDefender is weaker in any way.
    Also Avast isn't the fastest scanner according to the latest tests from AV-Comparative, BitDefender is slower in these test but you should check out the score that it pulls out on detecting compared to AVAST. Also BitDefender has higher response time than many other AV software and the updates are often enough to be sure you are protected.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

legendary,

bitdefender will not slow down your machine, its low on ram and will secure you for sure, and be sure to add another GB of ram if you go to vista.

start > run > msconfig > selective startup > (Startup tab) > and change your start up programs, it will reduce your ram for programs booting or running in the background that you just dont need.

also, you can.....

start > run > services.msc

check your services that are on AUTOMATIC, if you dont need it to run automatically when boot-up, right click it, properties and select MANUAL.

do both and you will notice your available ram has increased ten-fold.

if you still have problems with your ram, which i dont think you will if you keep to XP and bitdefender IS, choose AVG, it would be your better choice if your struggling for ram and performance with your setup.

good luck and keep us posted.

18. legendary

~removed whole quote of post directly above~

Thanks for the info! The problem is Vista is already on the machine. Do you think the Bitdefender IS is more or less then Avast,windows defender and windows firewall?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, if its already on the machine, try bitdenfeder, its the lightest suite out there for ram usage, see how it runs.

dont use windows defender, you shouldnt need it, i dont know if vista will let you stop it or not, my vista has not arrived yet, and turn off windows firewall just to be safe from any conflicts with the firewall in bitdefender internet security.

if your behind a router with built in firewall, maybe you dont need a suite at all, just an av is all you would need.

20. legendary

They say Defender is realtime protection from malware? so turn it off?

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes turn it off......

only if ram is an issue and it conflicts with your bitdefender, it not, no reason not to keep it on.

22. legendary

Thanks c.s.j! i will test it when i get out of work and post the results! If it doesn't run well i'll be back for more help..! thanks :D

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I like BitDefender on WinXP, works fast enough, but this under Vista is just plain ridiculous.

24. legendary

RejZoR ... Do you have Vista?

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah i have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.