avast! Pro 25% off before 8 Dec 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. FloorMatt

FloorMatt Registered Member

Will the subscription carry over when 5.0 is released?

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I feel sure it will but this still isnt a good deal. Just for the AV on 3 computers it would cost me over $75.00. That is crazy. I can buy suites for less then that.

In all fairness VLK said there would be a new pricing structure with version 5 for the paid AV and the suite. It has to be better then this or it wont sell. It just seems like most vendors, grab some cash quick before the new standards come out. Cant blame them but no way is this a good deal.:thumbd:

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

My understanding is "yes".

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hope I dont offend anyone but this just shows me the Norton influence in the Avast product now.:cautious:

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why? avast! is nowhere near Norton. Sure their CEO is now a former Symantec employee and probably brought few ideas, but the core idea is still unchanged.
    In fact with avast! 5.0 Free Antivirus we will actually get MORE than we used to with avast! 4.8 and more than we would ever get by any competiting free product. 25% discount is for 100 milion users milestone celebration which is not such a small thing really. Besides, isn't this good? I mean discounts and all.
    I work in retail and i know nearly all the marketing tricks. This is just a way to attract users. And in return you give them 25% discount. It's fair enough thing really. And since licenses are upgradable to new versions for as long as they are valid, it's even better. You buy avast! 4.8 professional today and upgrade it to avast! 5.0 Pro Antivirus free of charge when it's released.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I don't understand your comment, could you clarify it?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the new CEO of Avast came from Norton. And Rejzor, you are confusing free with paid. I have no qualms about the free being good, but we are talking about the paid, and I again say it isnt worth that price for more then one PC. I am not knocking the prduct, which is good, or people like VLK, I am just stating there are plenty of deals for AVs and Suites better then what they are showing.

Norton is a money machine, plain and simple. That isnt a negative but means that profits drive their way of doing things. Sometimes you have to realize that profits mean nothing if they are set to not compete with reality.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Well the price for the paid hasn't changed with the new CEO, has it? Also, a lot of companies do discounts for the holidays, hell I think they offered the same discount last year. Now if they pulled the free product I could see the complaint here.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Let me try a different way. You cant compare Norton and Avast in so many ways. So I come in to take a smaller but very competitive company and make it grow. First thing is change the product, which they are doing. Their pricing structure has always been on the negative side for users with more then one PC. Plain and simple. I finish version 5 and show the pricing structure and how it will now be compeitive with other larger vendors and then, only then, do I offer an intial discount for those wanted to try it. This is jumping the gun in my viewpoint. But hey, this are just my thoughts and by no means am I even close to knowing the future of what Avast intends. But I will bet you, that in the end, the new pricing structure will be better then the offer above. Mark my words on that one and then, how will you feel after taking this current offer.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You could have just said this line to begin with. :D If you are worried about future price changes, what don't you email Alwil and ask them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'm just guessing here but, I think trjam isn't worried so much about the cost of a single license but, more about what it covers. A lot of vendors (not all) sell a single license that cover 1-3 home computers, as it stands now, 1 Avast license covers one computer.

I assume that he believes that Alwil will change their license model with the release of version 5 Pro and IS, in order to stay competitive with other vendors. If they did, then the license you buy today (which cover 1 computer) would not be as good of a deal as a single license that covers 3 computers. I know this is all speculation, but that's that I'm getting from his comment.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you would be, and will be, correct.;)

14. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I am actually surprised to see not too many of Trjam. In this economy, competitive pricing is so important. Companies need to rethink more wisely about their customers. That's my opinion. :)

15. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

avast! 4.X Professional was good, but never good value, long before Vince Steckler came on board. So attributing this characteristic to some kind of "Norton influence" is nothing other than a Symantec anachronism. ;)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

umm btw a little side note, VLK said that all existing licenses for the current v4.8 Professional wuld be transferred to the Internet Security Suite

17. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Wait a moment. Where did I say that?

All existing licenses of avast 4.8 PRO will be transferred to avast 5.0 PRO, that's what will happen.

Thanks
    Vlk

18. firzen771

well ill try to find the post on the beta forums, but at one point u wrote that u guys will try to transfer existing Pro license to the suite, either that or i mis-read, but ill try to find the post again.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Maybe as upgrade for a small price, but certanly not for free.

20. Rednose!

Rednose! Registered Member

That is what I understand too, that you can upgrade for an interesting price :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=49962.msg423082#msg423082

Greetz, Red.

21. firzen771

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

So it was now extended to 16 Dec 2009 :D

Attached Files:

23. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

thanks vlk, I just can't wait to get it...

24. firzen771

well im still waiting to see VLK's response to Rednose's quote directly coming from the Avast forum...

25. kwg

kwg Registered Member

What Rednose quotes from the Avast! forums in no why contradicts what Vlk has written in this thread and elsewhere. There will be an upgrade path from the current Avast! Professional Edition to the new Avast! Internet Security suite, but Vlk has never implied that this path will be free. In fact, in his blog,

http://blog.avast.com/2009/11/30/so-when-is-version-5-coming-out/

Vlk makes very clear what the free upgrade paths will be:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.