Avast or Antivir PE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by redpower, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redpower

redpower Registered Member

I've used both Avast and Antivir. IMO i think Antivir is better because of the clean interface, its impressive detection rate, heuristics, and the general lightness of the program. The only bad thing i see in Antivir PE is the updating but it's not that bad for me b/c i have a 6mbps connection.

Most people disagree and say that Avast is better. Why? They say that in general, Avast has spyware detection... But Avast has a lower detection rate. I do not think that the web shield is that good either. It sometimes is incompatible with some software too. If i have a virus, Antivir is going to catch it anyways. Is it because of bias? Which one is truly better?

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Antivir is your best free choice, no doubt about it. If your worried about spyware get windows defender, counterspy, or trend micro anti-spyware just to name a few. Defender being free, counterspy being really good and cheap, and trend being a little more expensive than counterspy, but have more or less the same protection. I have trend micro antispyware(my computer) and I love it, and I have Antivir on my girlfriends computer and it works darn good.

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Avast has SOME spyware detection - it's not really a huge amount as far as I can tell. Avast, for viruses, is usually about ~92% and Antivir is ~99%. Avast is very good for free, but so is Antivir. They both have pros and cons: Avast is heavier but has more shields, and Antivir is lighter but has the nag screen and less clean updating.

However I'd pick Antivir. Avast's development is very very slow, it's been on 4.7 for ages.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

With all respect, judging the speed of development of an AV by looking at its version (not even sub-version) number is ridiculous...

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I echo your statement. Avast AV has made 7 upgades within V.4.7 since april19,2006. And I think this time span is not ages, rather a split of age. BTW, antivir does not have email scan.

6. redpower

I have no need for email scan.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

While I do not think there is any argument as to the detection rate, Avira is the better, I also do not think one is real world worse off with Avast. That assumes he is not a high risk surfer. Sometimes nothing will be enough without keeping the brain in gear.

While I like Avira better it did not run well for me. So I cannot really say I like it better. If it doesn't run well it is more trouble than it is worth.

I have used Avast several times and it has never had one issue on the machines I have put it on. I cannot say that about most others.

I doubt one would ever get infected with Avast any more than Avira. Avast remains my "fall back" AV.

Best,
    Jerry

8. Arup

Arup Guest

I think email, network and web scan feature along with P2P scan makes Avast the most formidable, suppose your firewall is bought down, then the network scanner will still be around to provide basic level of protection, I regularly receive trojans as mail attachments so that saves my day as well. The web scanner has blocked some nasties during my surfing before they could enter my system, this Avast approach of pre emptive block is much better than say letting the virus in and then announcing its presence.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder when Avira is going to add an HTTP scanner and will it be included in free version or not?

10. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I dont think Avast is so inferior to antivir-Avira in detection rate as has been said here.
    I like Avast and i used to like Antivir,which i ran for a long time: both provided first class protection to me catching those four or five malwares i got in the past four years.
    The reason i changed to Avast is i changed from POP3 to IMAP and i thought avast could provide better protection-in theory-than antivir, having a dedicated application.
    The email protection of Avast is so good it will even warn about suspicious files you yourself send out with a very loud siren (if you activate the sound),and the ashWebSV.exe which takes care of Web Shield (proxy) will effectively keep baddies out of your machine, thus reducing dramatically the need for antivirus scans.
    What i dont use of Avast is the VRDB generating file and extra-icon which comes at install, as i dont think its that useful , and is a resource eater without any real necessity.
    While i may,perhaps, admit that Antivir has a more aggressive stance towards detection i also found that False Positives were not uncommon if you choose a High detection rate.
    All considered, i'd stick with Avast for now.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, I think there are quite a few things that will be added to their suite as we move along.:D

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW u can merge two icons.

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

You can also disable it :)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya if I remeber well! I used Avast in the past but I have a feeling that it caused a bit slow down of system but not sure.

15. poirot

poirot Registered Member

yes,aigle and fastgame, that's exactly what i meant, and did, since the very first day i used Avast.

Avast people say there's no slow down,as it works during idle time,but i could never find out.

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm an intermediate beginner. Have used all 3 of the "A" freebies, settled with Avast. Unlike some others, I actually like the quirky interface. I also find the configure-ability of the 7 protection providers very good, having spent a little time to get used to them and what they do. It's possible that some of these protection layers exist in Avira also, but at a more "covert" level.
    Haven't noticed any slowdowns using Avast, incl VRDB, but nor did I when using Avira. I think Avira may be lighter on resource.
    No conflictions apparent with Avast, either, though some have reported a problem when using Comodo firewall, which I also use.
    On AV comparatives, Avira certainly scored higher, esp. in regard to trojan detection.
    I also run an antispyware program resident - Spyware Terminator - and think this added protection is pretty much essential, as well as av and fw, of course. I also keep Asquared handy for trojan removal. It's probably not realistic to expect an AV program to catch all malware, unless it's one of those fancy integrated suites you (usually) have to pay for.
    Chuck in a couple of low-resource blockers, like SpywareBlaster and Spybot, or Winpatrol, protection has to be fairly good.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no one can argue with your choices or your setup. That is the key, finding what fits each person the best. Some it may take 100 applications, some 1.

18. redpower

Right now, all i'm using is:

Antivir PE
    SSM Free
    Router
    Comodo
    Firefox w/ Adblock and Noscript

19. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Avira PE is definitely the best choice. No other comments...

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

better detection sure,

but avira is not better software,

whatever you prefer i suppose, all these "which shall i use" etc, everyone is different and has different needs from their protection, the only way is to just try the trials and decide yourself.

there will always be people to give opinions on software or reviews, but unless you try... you wont know.

i have had my comments on countless suites etc, some have been agreed on and some not, it doesnt bother me, as this is just my opinion, as everyone has a different opinion, exactly what makes a good forum :D

21. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Yup your right...For the past 4 years I was using Pc-cillin and all of a sudden I changed to Kaspersky because through experimentation and actual infection I have found that Pc-cillin is a little bit off on some viruses...BUT again after kaspersky I have found out that Avira has a simpler and lightweight programs which I really want in an antivirus...

Some time ago I have tried Avast! and it works fine but not as fast as kaspersky, Pc-cillin, and Avira...Zonealarm's antivirus is a little bit hard to use...Norton can slow down other PC as well as McAfee...

But Like C.S.J said, try it yourself!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  22. Safety First

Safety First Registered Member

Hi, I've used Kaspersky, Norton, Antivir, AVG and Avast, they all have bonuses (except norton) making each one good. First off don't get norton as it's the biggest waste of cash ever. The AV can't even delete viruses, and is a monster on resources. Kaspersky is definitely the best if you're willing to pay as it detects 99.99% of viruses as shown in AV detection rates. AVG is the worst free AV in my opinion as it has low detection rates, it has email scanning if configured and is very light on resources. Antivir in my opinion is pretty much AVG made better as it has higher detection rates and heuristics. I was happy with it until I tried Avast. It found 18 viruses instantly when Antivir and AVG failed to, and it easily deleted them and continued. The updating is fast and efficient and even though you can't manually configure Avast to scan your computer, you can always add it to the list manually and schedule it when you please (Start\Control Panel\Scheduled Tasks\Add), Avast is also light on resources. So in my opinion Avast is definitely the one to use, and yes, it does scan mail on MS Outlook, Gmail, hotmail etc, and is brilliant finding viruses in P2P programs even before the files are downloaded. And the person who asked about the license key, when you register free with Avast (link from main program) for free, they send you the key by email, and when your 14 months is up they send you another one, always free. Hope this helped.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

void!

thats what your comment is, it was funny to read though, so thanks. :blink:

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To All,

The thread topic is fairly straight forward....Avast or Antivir PE. For those that wish to continually take threads off topic with discussion of other AV's....feel free to take a look at our thread titles in this forum section. There are more than enough to go around where it would be on topic to talk about all AV's.

numerous off topic posts were removed and others will find the same demise if this request is not adhered to.

Bubba

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok i would choose antivir the payed version works fine on my sister's laptop.
    the free version should work fine.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.