Avast on U3 Scandisk?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If this is in the wrong place please move, mods.

I wanted a USB thumbdrive to install Firefox portable, and some other things. I am not sure why, but that is not the question.

The one I got was a U3 1 gig drive, and it has some programs on it. I don't know anything about U3, but it has Avast AV on it.
    I have the impression that Avast is on there to protect the programs on the drive and not the computer that is being used. Is that correct?

In either instance, is there a chance of conflict between the resident AV on the computer and the Avast on the flash drive?
    The drive is a SanDisk Cruzer.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I think primarily its job is to protect the data on the u3 drive but i'd say its realtime monitor would pick up any bad guys that appear. Either way it hasn't yet conflicted on any system i've used that runs another AV.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi farmerlee,
    Thanks for the reply, and I just asked the question on the Avira forum as well as the Avast forum. Not wanting to bother everyone in the world, but was not confident as to who had used it, and knew the answer.

I appreciate the information, and will see if others have the same experience. It is something I will very seldom use, but if I were to use it on someone else's system I sure don't want to crash it, even if I had a horse waiting outside.:D

I did not know what a U3 flash drive was, and would not have bought it if I had known. But that is what I have so hope it will work for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

Like farmerlee said Avast U3 will protect your U3 drive. It is running realtime so it should pick up any viruses/malware that is attacking the host computer. Avast U3 is a great program. It hasnt caused any problems for me. I hasnt crashed any PC that i have used it on.

My flash drive is Sandisk Titanium Cruzer 2 gb. I realy like U3 technology, iwish there were more programs. In the beginning it takes some time to get use to how it works. I bring my flash drive everywhere with me. Have you been on to this website, U3.com.

Kristian

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The avast U3 realtime shield only protects the U3 drive itself. It is not, for technical reasons, possible to protect the whole system (the U3 version can run even without admin privileges etc).

More details on avast U3 Edition can be found here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-u3.html

BTW the avast-Sandisk deal is now over. Starting this summer, new Sandisk U3 drives will ship with McAfee... New management, new decisions...:(

Cheers
    Vlk

6. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thanks for that VLK. It is sad to here that Sandisk is not going to be using Avast anymore. I am lucky to get that deal. I have 2 year licence and i got it for nothing!:D

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am not impressed from U3 . I bought mine SanDisk Cruzer 1 GB (just like JerryM) three days ago , Firefox made me problems because it wouldn't start and I reinstalled it 3 times , OO was installed but couldn't start no matter I even reinstalled it . The game couldn't start , too .

The onliest programs that managed to run successfully were Avast U3 , Skype and Thunderbird (Avast for U3 is well made software , congratulations about that)

And it isn't true , as mentioned in the U3 site , that the U3 device leaves nothing on the host machine . After Launchpad launch , there is a folder in the Application data of the Windows XP . The folder remained after U3 is unplugged and computer restarted

As a result of the above , I uninstalled the U3 software , reformatted the drive and now I have one more flash disk added to my collection :D :D

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All for the help. FF is running well on mine. It is probably something I won't have occasion to use, but it is interesting.
    Sometimes I use a University Library when out of town without my laptop. I am not sure it they would permit me to use a thumb drive or not.

I appreciate all the responses.

Best,
    Jerry

9. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I'm running Avast on my U3 Flash Drive, Avira PE Premium on my home PC, Nod 32 at work and no conflicts. I like the fact that I can scan the host computer from the flash drive as well. It's a nice feature.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Riverrun,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. What is a surprise to me is that with all the cautions, and real problems that result from running two AVs that there is no conflict running Avast from the thumb drive, and scanning the host computer while the resident AV is active.o_O
    Regards,
    Jerry

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Guys, you do realize that all of the portable apps can be run from any removable writeable drive. These little cuties are not U3-dependent, even if someone tries to advertise them so.

The first thing I did with my 2 2GB U3 drives was to use the uninstaller, remove the ugly U3 thingie and the partitions and then freshly format them and use the apps that I want, how I watn without the annoying U3 hassle. Plus they work in other OSs that way too.

Mrk

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Mrkvonic,
    How do you format them?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Here you go:

http://u3.com/uninstall/uninstall.aspx

The page is kind of a questionnaire before download. They ask why you wish to remove their annoying crap. You don't need to give any special reason why and how, but the best one is - you cannot use it at work ... then they give you a warning that the procedure is irreversible blah blah.

Download, execute with the U3 drive plugged in and you'll never see those super-annoying thingies again.

Mrk

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Mrk,
    Many thanks. I'll do it.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.