AVAST little questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by alakazooo, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alakazooo

alakazooo Registered Member

Hi!
    Thanks to help those who really need to learn the bases of computer protection!

My mom is using the computer to seek for houses to sell with a professional programs, could avast think that we use it to make money and stamp us as a company? How do they look if we use our compu. for lucratives activities?

Can someone tell me what's the difference between avast and AVG ? is it really better ?... why does avast ask me to register ? will they send a lot of annoying e-mails?

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Avast won't send you emails as long as you don't sign up for them, Avast has better detection rates (I'm assuming your talking about AVG Free) and avast has a file scanner which is always scanning files for malware. Not sure bout your first question, or why they ask you to register.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@btman i think alakazooo is trying to say that avast free is free for home users but not for business. so in the scenario above does it count as home user or business is the question.
    @alakazooo ,
    the best bet is to ask at the avast forums
    http://forum.avast.com/
    hope this helps
    lodore

4. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

when you say register do you mean that Avast is asking for a license number, if that's the case this is normal for Avast home and you will need to go to the Avast web site to get them to send you one, nothing unusual or sneeky going on just the way they do things. As for emails, never had one from them yet in all the years I've used it. The bit about your mum (or mom depending where you come from) is something for you or your mum/mom to think about, as they say it's on your conscience, but I suspect if your using your computer on a professional level to make money that Avast would probably like to be getting it's share. As Lodore suggests, asking at their forum might be the way to go.
    As for Avast vs AVG my preference is for Avast.

5. Sunra

Sunra Registered Member

Help me!

Sorry if im posting something irrelevant to this thread, im new here XD and cut me some slack im only thirteen, see my parents know nothing about computers so its all up to me :rolleyes: lol anyways to the point, Im using avast (makes sense in the thread XD) and I got a trojan right? So I try to move it to the chest, but of course its in use by another process, I went into the task manager and tried to find the process but to my dismay I found no trace of the name, someone help me!!!!

Incase this helps: I got the virus by my best friend sending me an attachment in an email, he thought it would be funny if I got a virus, what a bastard...

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey Sunra,
    the best thing to do is to update avast and then boot to safemode by keep pressing F8 until the windows load menu appears.
    scroll down to safemode with your keyboard and do a full scan in safe mode and tell avast to remove it.
    safe mode is a mode when hardly any drivers are active so the trojan wont be able to be active so it can be safely removed.
    also you might want to post at the offical avast forum
    link
    www.superantispyware.com
    also download superantispyware free version (link is above) update it before booting in to safe mode and then run scans of both avast and superantispyware and get them to remove what they find.
    lodore

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: Help me!

Avast has a feature called Boot Time Scan that might be sufficient. Just do a boot time scan, safe mode not needed I think.

8. strangequark

Re: Help me!

Hi Sunra
    aigle is right, a Boot Time Scan should be all you need to do.

just right click on the avast UI and select 'Schedule Boot - Time Scan', and make sure you put a tick in 'Scan Archive Files'.

If you happen to be using Vista you'll find that a boot time scan will take forever and I mean forever, the problem will be fixed in the next version release but in the meantime you should download this patch http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe to fix the problem.
    You must have the latest version installed first, 4.7.942, and then just run the update over the top, when your finished the new version number should be 4.7.971

If you want to read about it here's the link http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0

good luck

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  9. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

AVG is a little bit lighter on the resources, and more user friendly. Avast's detection rate is better, but is not so user friendly. I would chose Avast! over AVG any day. Avast! also has about 7 different shields.

Best Regards,
    ~~Matt~~

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! not so user friendly? It's install and forget type of an antivirus. You sure can tweak it but in general, default settings are just fine.

11. alakazooo

alakazooo Registered Member

Thanks for you support!

Btman: a lot of people suggested me Avast instead of AVG free, just wanted to know if anyone esle had to deliver his email adress...maybe I was on the wrong path!

Iodore: Yes you clearly understood my question (even if I may sound a lil bit retard cuz english isn't my first language). Just asked myself if a real-eastate seller (those who sells houses) use a computer to find houses with a program that his company gave him would be considerated as a buisness compu.
    I would want to piss off some who give us all that for free, it would be immoral and probably dangerous for my computer!
    Thanks a lot i'll go ask to their forums and gives you some details of their answer if it's not : Everything is fine just download and install!

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that you can say that avast! have a different GUI compared with others AV, and that is not a good thing for new users...
    I hope they change it on v5.0... ;)

13. agustan

agustan Registered Member

i'm just wondering what is the best setting for avast? should i turn on all the shields or just the standard shield is enough??

thanksss

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Standard, Web and Network shields.
    If you use some E-mail client, choose what will work for it...

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

default is just fine with avast

16. strangequark

I'm with C.S.J. , just leave on default settings.

Although the first thing I do is turn the sounds off, the sound it makes when it finds a virus is exactly the same warning we get for cyclones in this part of the world ................................. although it is fun freaking the neighbours out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.