Avast is being a nuisance.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by daddymo3, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddymo3

daddymo3 Registered Member

I haven't seen anyone else discuss this.I guess it's just me.
    After the latest program update,Avast keeps bugging me about installing google toolbar after every computer restart.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not me. They send up a banner ad for their internet security every time I get definitions, but you can click not to get them as I did.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I get the google toolbar thing when the program updates to a new version.

4. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

The "latest" being 7.0.1456, or is it 7.0.1451?

5. Shelty

Shelty Registered Member

There is a temporary fix per pk from Avast.

Please add "IgnoreSetupOutro=1" below "ShowSetupOutro" value in avast5.ini, this is a temporary solution until we release new program version. Thanks.

Avast is unable to reproduce the problem so they are attempting to find the cause from submitted log files.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is no such thing as Google Toolbar in avast!...

7. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I have never had Avast! offer me a toolbar, but every time I restart my PC, I get a message telling me Avast! has updated to the latest version and hit Finish to finish, but it still reappears every time I restart my PC.

8. Technical

Technical Registered Member

There were some users experiencing this trouble which is not intentional.
    Maybe you could save your avast! settings, uninstall it and install the latest 7.0.1456 version and restore the settings.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

There is not Google Toolbar offerings but rather it should be an one time offer of Google Chrome browser.

9. lurkingatu2

lurkingatu2 Registered Member

hello

sorry but Avast 7.0.1456 has the google toolbar i already have google chrome

so when installing it offered me the google toolbar

Attached Files:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's a first timer. Since when is toolbar integrated in it? Has to be one of the latest revisions...

11. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

This was for an earlier release of Avast, but it was basically the same problem. Don't know if it will work with this version, but you could give it a try.

1_ Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).
    2_ search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.
    3_ in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".
    4_ change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).
    5_ save the file and reboot.
    6_ go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.

12. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Could you just let it install then and uninstall it later to get rid of the nagging?

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

sorry i am having avast too but i hardly remember having google tool bar

you should uncheck all extra stuff during install it wont install also in case you have already installed google tool bar just uninstall it.

as for update banner on avast disable it.

sorry i am on linux hope someone put screenshot of disabling the banner from avast :)

14. carat

carat Guest

Google Chrome, Google toolbar - is Avast owned by Google? o_O :thumbd:

15. Technical

16. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

In version 7.0.1456, anyone who doesn't uncheck a small box during install receives a complimentary Google Chrome install. Of course it all looks very pretty - cute picture, small text - clearly designed with the intention of being overlooked. Not nice!

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this is something that really annoys me and got me pretty upset when i saw this. i can understand fully them adding this to the free version and sorry for those that dont agree but the free version is not paid for and if it has adds well then so be it and imo no one should argue that because its FREE but then i went to install the avast internet security to which i own 15 total paid lic's all good till mid 2016 as well as do many of my clients have paid lic's. and low and behold there was the google chrome there during install. i knew enough to uncheck it but i had more than a few clients who installed it after my recc to do so and then they called me saying now i have this google thing on my desktop (many are older and or not very computer savy) and those people should not be taken advantage of when they PAY FOR THE SOFTWARE. again i have clients who use the free version and i have no issues at all with it being in the free version but im pretty ticked they add it to the paid version and especially there top internet security version which is the most $$ of the three. i do still use it and will use out my lic's and i still recc it to some but i hate having to always tell them if you install it make sure to watch for the google stuff and uncheck the boxes if you dont want it. sorry didnt mean to rant but i was ticked back when they first added this and i know its still there and hate it when paid software has to have extra garbage in it that many people dont want to be installed.

18. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Yeah, I had a couple of my clients that are still using Avast call me about this.They asked me to uninstall Avast and install MSE, Problem solved.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ppl make way way way too much fuss about it. WAY TOO MUCH. They all talk in a way like avast! installed some super hard to remove toolbar/browser and everyone are finding for solution how to remove it for days now. It's just a Google stuff that you can remove using programs and Features menu in like 5 seconds geez. Leftovers? How much crap you have all over your PC and you probably aren't even aware of it, you just know that Google leaves some. Big deal, seriously...

20. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That is our decision, not yours :)

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well you're all over reacting... yes, it's a bug, but c'mon it's not so freakin horrible.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I got stung about 10 years ago when an app I bought inserted a note saying something like "automatic renewal" with a radio button already checked off. It was up to you to uncheck it if you didn't want automatic renewal. Of course I didn't see it, and a year later I got an e-mail notifying me that the renewal was charged to my visa. Since then I have trained myself to read everything when installing anything, and the Google thing isn't a problem. It wasn't long ago that Ask Search was inserting their trap every where you went and every body was all up in arms about that. This is how folks like Avast! make a buck, so all we have to do is stay alert during installations and not keep clicking Next without reading. :D

23. carat

carat Guest

Nice solution ... :D

24. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

Thanks,I thought so too.

25. Technical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.