AVAST interferes with pc audio?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by taleblou, Feb 8, 2017.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Has anyone using or used various AVAST software (antivirus to total security, etc.) ended up with a loss of audio on their pc?

It seems that installing and using avast on my 2 ASUS desktops and windows 10 causes the audio to be dead (like a permanent mute)? No other security program does this. So Because of this I have given up on avast. Still want to know if anyone has similar issue or knows what is going on?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

never seen personally a total loss of audio (on thousands of systems over the years lol) i was seeing some stuttering of the audio with the previous beta it is better now but still happens on the very rare occasion. have you checked the virus chest to make sure something was not detected as a false positive? aside from that what is the audio driver used by your system? i assume its probably the realtek hd codecs which is the most common. if so i would recc uninstalling the audio driver and use the newest available from the realtek site (i can link it if you would like). but i would be happy to see if i can help you out with it. lastly have you tried removing a reinstalling avast? ill be on the road most of the day but i will check in as much as i can.

3. taleblou

its realtek hd audio and yes nothing on virus chest. Also. Also I noticed the avast IS sandbox screws audio too.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Is this just with the new Avast 2017 version, or it's been like this for a while? Thanks.

5. Alikhan

Alikhan Registered Member

Sometimes when running your browser in the Sandbox, there is no audio. Resetting/deleting the sandbox content has always fixed that. That's been there for a few versions now.

I haven't seen any cases where by installing Avast there is a loss of audio. Are you sure your Audio drivers are up to date?

By screw audio, do you mean it's out of sync with video or stuttery?

6. taleblou

yes I always update my drivers to the latest via iobit driver booster pro. Also I have not tried the 2017 version yet. I am happy with orange defender antivirus as it is very light and powerful and solid.

I have to handed the Japanese for making such a great antivirus as orange defender. Also it comes with free VPN and other goodies.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It is from Romania, not Japan.

8. taleblou

I decided to test avast IS 2017 and all is well except the scanning is very very slow. Sofar it been 8 minutes and it is still at 0%. So I took a snapshot when I start and will take another when finished to see how long takes. I think AVAST should improve their scanning speed.

9. zfactor

good to hear. i figured reinstalling would fix the issue. let us know or shoot me a pm if there is any more issues. scan times are really not to bad imo they are FAR better then say eset or some others. really not to bad. what type of scan did you do was it the smart scan?

10. taleblou

damn it has been 1.5 hours now and avast is till stuck at 0%. What the hell is going on? I am going to get rid of avast for good now.

here are the 2 snap shots 1 and 1/2 hours apart.

snap-1.png snap-2.png

smart scan works fine on the other hand.

11. zfactor

imo there is something else going on there.

12. taleblou

well the quick scan went well. It took 4 minutes. So it seems the full scan has issues.

13. taleblou

i even has rebooted 3 times after install prior to scan to be safe. so i do not know why the full scan has issue while the other scans all work fine.

14. zfactor

sent you pm

15. taleblou

i replied

16. taleblou

It seems zemana antilogger pro was causing the avast full scan to freeze on 0%. By closing zemana the scan began to work. So a compatibility issue between zemana avtive protection and avast full scan maybe.

17. zfactor

glad that worked for now. i sent this info to them to look at. not sure if its known yet but they should look at it now. ill keep you posted.

18. anon

anon Registered Member

It's A known bug, I think they are working on it.

19. zfactor

anon his issue was related to zemana anti logger. as soon as he disabled it the scan finished fine. so something with the two was not working out in this case.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

.... and uses the Avira's scan engine.

21. zfactor

i was told it does not have all the detection capabilities as avira's engine or was this person wrong? dont want to derail this thread though

22. anon

anon Registered Member

For taleblu, yes.
    For me (and Nori-chan maybe [edit: sure*] :p ), not. ;)
    *=

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  23. zfactor

gotcha. its weird. i wonder why disabling zemana would have allowed the avast scanner to work. for me the % does sit at zero for maybe 5 minutes but then goes about finishing like normal. tested on 28 different machines (restoring clean images for testing) all worked fine. though avast is the only thing running on those. there are no other security products on them. i can add some for testing. what else do you run on your system?

24. anon

anon Registered Member

In that one? Avast Premier & MBAE only.

25. zfactor

just curious to see what if you disable mbae? does it make any difference. it shouldnt but since disabling zemana fixed the issue for him it makes me curious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.