Avast FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by khanyash, Mar 26, 2015.

1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Is Avast FW any better or provides any better protection than Win 7 FW?

If Yes, then may be I will get Avast Internet Security.
    If No, then I will go with Avast Free.

I know other features in AIS but want to know only about FW.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

A-V Comparatives tested firewalls available in popular Internet security software last year. You can download the report here: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_fw_201403_en.pdf .

The test was for effectiveness using public networks. The WIN 7 firewall was 100% effective on public networks. Report also noted that many third party firewalls actual use and run in parallel with the WIN 7 firewall. Avast firewall was one of these.

Bottom line - the only effective feature a third party firewall would offer over the WIN 7 firewall would be an easy way to monitor and control outbound traffic. Although the WIN 7 firewall will monitor outbound traffic if enabled, it will not notify on outbound traffic connection. You have to rely on monitoring your event and firewall logs to determine what is being blocked. You will also have to create all your outbound rules from scratch including ports, protocol, etc. if you desire that level of granularity.

If all you care about is blocking inbound traffic and your PC/network is located behind a router with a good hardware firewall, the WIN 7 firewall is more than adequate protection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.