Avast Free vs Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Spartan, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

So other than the occasional product offers/pop ups, any difference between Free vs Pro?

I installed on the File shield, Mail Shield, and Webshield......unchecked everything else

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. Spartan

ok so I guess it's the Sandbox out of those features that I'm missing which isn't super important to me. Norton? I stopped using that like 2 years ago since it got so bloated, like the UI shows me features not pertaining to my subscription such as online storage and whatnot, if I click on it, it just takes me to their site to upgrade. I hate such tactics by some AVs, same reason I stopped using Webroot because it shows features of the Internet Security and prompts you to upgrade.

I was using EST NOD32 for a long time but I feel it's very heavy especially when installing large apps like Adobe CC suite, it takes triple the time to install vs other AVs despite AV Comapartives Performance test showing that it's the lightest

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

How long ago was that? I find that the version 10 of ESET products, which were released last year are much lighter than v9, and older versions.

5. Spartan

just 3 days back, latest version on Windows 10 Creators Update

Try it for yourself if you have time, install the Adobe CC apps like Photoshop and Illustrator without an AV

Then try again installing them but with NOD32 on and see how it takes 3 times the time to install, it goes like in slow motion. This is on my current laptop:

MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro-425 | i7-7820HK | Kingston 2400 MHz 64GB DDR4 RAM | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5 | Dynaudio System with Nahimic 2 Sound Technology | Killer Wireless-AC 1535 | Chi Mei N173HHE-G32 17.3" FHD 120 Hz/5ms [G-SYNC] | 2x Samsung 960 PRO 2TB [Super RAID 4] + 850 EVO 1TB + 850 EVO 4TB | SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse | Windows 10 Pro

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I was using the free version of Avast for a while but I was having strange connection issues which disappeared as soon as I removed it.

I hear you about Norton. There are a few things that bug me about it too, but I've got years of my sub left, and I've been told I can get a free one if I need it, so on two of my machines I am using it for now. AVs are only an alert system for me anyway and not the first line of defence.

7. Spartan

snap, I guess Avast is getting uninstalled also. When I try to delete any file (specifically small video files in this case), either the file doesn't disappear when I delete it, but if I refresh its gone, or it is really slow to move to the recycle bin. I remember facing the same issue reently but never thought it was Avast behind it but now I know it is because before installing Avast this never happened

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I might give it a try some time. When I tested it, I did not install any software. The last performance test from AV Comparatives, does show there is some slowdown when installing software.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If you enable Silent mode, you will not even get those.

10. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

I would also recommend to use Behaviour shield, very important to protect against ransomware!

11. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Malware Geek just did a Utube testing all the Ransomware stuff against Avast Free, and Avast stopped all of it before anything bad happened.

12. Spartan

That's great! I think Avast Free is one of the best free antivirus programs out there and very light

13. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I am not sure if this is caused by installing avast (on defaults with cleanup component) but something messed up permissions related to system restore and disk defragmenter.I was able to create and delete restore points but when I hit ok it saves the settings but throwed a error about permissions related to admin and scheduled tasks.

I was able to fix it using tweaking's windows repair and resetting all permissions of all files and registry items on my system and I even checked "register all the system files" just in case.Everything works fine now and it was fine before as well just niggles.I guess it was windows after all.

14. assersegsten

assersegsten Registered Member

I tried Avast Premier(with the VPN) a year ago and I have Nothing bad to say about it.;)

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  16. gery

gery Registered Member

avast is and will not be cheap

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.