avast! Configuration

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Plati, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plati

Plati Registered Member

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I see no point in configuring avast!. Only thing that i do is to enable full screen apps detection for popups and disable ball spinning (which is nice but rather distracting, at least for me). And that's it. Everything else is already optimally configured.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i just put everything on High and done.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

I keep my configuration at default like the way it was installed that is enough I think

5. progress

progress Guest

I noticed 7 shields:

# Instant Messaging
    # P2P Shield
    # Internet Mail
    # Outlook/Exchange
    # Network Shield
    # Web Shield
    # Standard Shield

I assume the Standard Shield is the resident guard, am I right? So it should be enough protection with this single shield? o_O

6. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Hi ance

You can only know if it was "enough protection" after discovering that it wasn't! :argh:

All the shields are resident. Custom install only the ones you'll need if you wish but chances are you probably won't bother to "reinstall" that extra shield just for that one time you accept a file via MSN.
    IMO Standard, Web & Network are essential (unless we're talking Windows 95 with 32MB RAM).

7. progress

progress Guest

If I accept a file via Skype and I open it - the Standard Shield should also check it? I assume the same goes for Internet Mail?

P2P software and Outlook aren't installed ...

My laptop is the only machine in the WLAN, do you think I need the Network Shield? I don't visit LAN parties ;)

8. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

This is true. I just prefer to keep the stuff from getting on my machine in the first place!

Re: Network Shield. Specific IDS worm protection is probably of some use on the web (depending on firewall choice) but again, are you going to have modified your avast! installation in advance of the day you unexpectedly do have a visitor on your LAN? (Of course, if your router/access point has a web-only WPA key you'd be pretty safe).

9. progress

progress Guest

Thank you for your assistance Vladimyr, I will install the 3 shields you recommended :)

10. xandros

xandros Registered Member

avast pro very strong on virus and very lite on my pc

before i was use kaspersky internet security 2 years
    then i was use avira premium 1 year
    and now i use avast pro its excellnt

tomorow i dont know what i will use, but i will use the best antivirus wich lite on computer and strong on virus

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

LMAO u have the exact same AV history as me :D Kaspersky -> Avira -> Avast :D

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I use the default configuration, it works fine "out of the box".
    Only changes are to increase the frequency of update checks, a nice skin, and the disabling of the shields I don't use (MS Outlook, and Instant messaging.)
    Setting the providers to high when that is not needed just slows access scanning down as all files are scanned rather than those with the default extension set. Default settings are an excellent compromise.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm trying this on my work PC, correct me if I'm wrong, but I left everything as is, except I disabled the script blocking spalsh screen cause it annoys me :cautious: and merged the 2 icons together. I notice there are different options, update automatically, but do I check my computer is permanently connected to the internet, as I have Cable extreme 30000Mbs connection o_O Also when it scans, it says standard scan, is this sufficient in most cases, and I think the protection is medium,as its between normal << and >> high settings

Also $117.00 for 3 years here in Australia is quite competetive compared to other AV's :)

Avira AntiVir Premium $74.02 3 years

Kaspersky Anti Virus (only 2 years here) 1pc $63.95 3 pc's $127.95 :ninja:

Norton AntiVirus 2010 1 year $ 59.95

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.