AVAST! Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the insider, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the insider

the insider Registered Member

2. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I really like this new avast! beta, I've been using this beta since it was out with no any problems (at least on my machine), it's faster and noticeable lighter in real-time performance.

Attached Files:

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's working very well on my old desktop... ;)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Superb, runs like a dream on my Core2Duo with XP64, very fast scan times now and way less load.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sounds good.
    lodore

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I even tried the beta download with an old PC using dialup. The 5.5 MB download was also exceptionally fast on that PC, and avast! is using much less ram and system resources on all PCs. This is a great product update, and the avast! people did well.

Dave

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

where is the download link for avast beta?
    and do you have to have a avast version install before using the beta?
    i want to try it on my test system since i havent tested any av's since i got kis6.0:D
    ive heard good things about avast all they need to do now is improve the detection a bit.
    how do you get it to run the boot time scan?
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Avast has always been a good AV IMO, and maybe it will make a significant improvement in detection rates. It has always run well on every computer I have put it on. I don't have a machine to test this beta, but will be eagerly looking at testers comments.
    Jerry

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just need a download link for the beta and im a tester.
    i dont really like the interface for scans but i like the interface for the shields.
    its a really good free antivirus IMO.
    i think they will improve on detection rates.
    lodore

10. shek

shek Registered Member

beta testing finished. the new version has been officially released.

Here is the change log.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks i just downloaded the pro version to test on my old pc direct from the site which must be the lastest version.
    where is the option to tell it to do a boottime scan?
    lodore

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Lodore, after you have spent some time with it, let us know what you think about it. If I did not already have licenses for F-Secure, and KAV 6, I might use it as my resident AV on my laptop.

Jerry

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a shame i dont have a machine i can use it on other than my test pc lol.
    i look at it more later.
    lodore

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Can't speak for pro, but in home it's where it always was...start antivirus, menu (about halfway down) schedule etc.

Working well.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks yes it maybe where is always was but i didnt ever know where it was lol.
    lodore

16. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Is there an e-mail scanner in the Beta version? I just checked the Avast website as I haven't been there in awhile. I switched over to Antivir Classic (free). Just checking the Avast Home free vs. pro versions, I see there's little difference.

I may just install Avast again, and use Antivir as an on demand scanner.

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Anyone care to post a screenshot of the main and options windows?

18. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Quadrophonic, yes there is an email scanner. Here are the details from Avast's site. It's also no longer beta.

"E-mail/News protection consists of two independent modules; first, there is a generic scanner working on the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/NNTP protocol level. It is capable of protecting any existing e-mail client that uses these protocols. Second, there is a special plugin for MS Outlook only; the mail scanning is completely transparent, requiring no special settings."

19. TAP

TAP Registered Member

You get all avast! Pro's e-mail scanner features in avast! Home, both general Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange (if you use it).

Attached Files:

• mail.png
      mail.png
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  20. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Please don't blame avast!'s ugly skin interace at the first time (as most people always do), since it has clean and easy-to-use skinless interface for people who hate skin.

Attached Files:

21. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Thanks for the images. I was going to ask if the Beta version had a bootscan and now I know it does. That was my favorite feature of Avast for the two years or so that I used it. It caught quite a few trojans during that period before Windows loaded.

Something I've noticed is that many of the most popular new AV programs are now from companies outside of the USA. Whereas Symantec and McAfee used to dominate the market, that no longer seems to be the case. The competition in the security market seems very strong in Europe. Avast must have taken notice of those AV-comparatives tests and should be trying to beef up their signature and definition files.

I don't know which company is larger or if there's competition to hire away programmers from each other, but has anyone heard talk of a merger of any of the European AV program manufacturers?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.