Avast AV Free vs Virus Handling

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TomAZ, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I am currently using Avast Free AV and wondering. . . when Avast detects a virus (and/or other forms of malware) a popup appears identifying the threat along with some user options.

Which is the best option to choose:
    1) Fix Automatically (Default)
    2) Move To Chest
    3) Delete

Not really sure just what happens when you select 'Fix Automatically' -- that's why I'm asking.

BTW. . . I use an local email client (not web-based email) and have been getting quite a few email threats lately (particularly Locky). Fortunately, the Avast Email component has been catching them and blocking them.

2. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

@TomAZ

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB178

To view available options, check the box Automatically apply actions during scan. Click the tabs to choose actions from the drop-down menu for each type of threat.
    • Fix automatically - Run a sequence of actions (repair file; if not possible, then move to Virus Chest; if not possible, then delete).
    • Move to Chest - Send the threat to the Virus Chest where it cannot harm your system.
    • Repair - Remove only malicious code attached to an otherwise safe file; this is not possible for files which are entirely malware.
    • Ask - Avast asks what you want to do with each detected threat.
    • Delete - Permanently remove the file from your computer.
    • No action - No action is taken during the scan; the threat is listed in your scan results and you can decide what to do later.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. Where is the Virus Chest located and how do I access it?

4. 59er

59er Registered Member

Right click on the Avast icon to access