avast av & CIS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zakazak, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

Hey, could anyone tell me which settings I should use for Avast free AV + Comodo Internet Security (FW & D+) ? Avast as quite a lot features and I'm not sure if i need all that when using D+ ?

thanks

2. zakazak

bump.. no one using CIS & avast av ? :S

3. guest

guest Guest

i did before. if you didnt install comodo AV module it is Comodo Firewall bot CIS.

just put cfp.exe and cmd.exe in avast exclusions. disable avast sandbox.

then you can set each other as you wish without issues. the BB of avast will not interfere with the HIPS of CFW

4. pirej

pirej Registered Member

Im using Avast free with Comodo Firewall (CIS without the antivirus), and i don't see any problems at all.
    I never added any exclusions in avast, im using the default settings

5. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Using Avast IS and CIS Beta ver5.8 now in my XP SP3 set-up.

Avast Settings\Exclusions:
    C:\Program Files\Comodo
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo

Avast File System Shield\Expert Settings\Exclusions:
    C:\Program Files\Comodo
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo

Avast WebShield Settings\Exclusion:
    *.comodo.*

Avast Sandbox(Virtualization) for all browsers(or with SBIE or select which to run in SBIE and Avast Sandbox) and PDF readers.

Disabled Avast components:
    Firewall
    Avast Auto-Sandbox
    Behavioral Shield

Likewise in CIS,

Trusted Application and Network Security Policy: (as trusted)
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software

D+ Settings\Trusted Files:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software

D+ Settings\Execution Control:

D+ Settings\Sandbox: Enabled

Exclusions are placed to limit possible conflicts. As with other security apps I have. It may differ per set-up/per machine but this is what works for me(been using the set-up for year+). Try to visit the Avast forums there are other users who may share a thing or two about the combination.

Cheers!

6. zakazak

Alright thanks.. and scanning/protecting stuff won*t conflict with CIS & Avast? I read that this could easily happen without the notice of the user.. which den leads to zero protection :S

7. guest

guest Guest

Behavior Blocker (avast) act differently than HIPS (Comodo) even if they may overlaps, but i never had issues or conflicts.

8. zhianzee

zhianzee Registered Member

It looks like we are 2 here in this forum. Which would you recommend as a replacement?

9. zakazak

generally I dont think that an AV's will help much.. but its still a layer of protection to HIPS. So basically I want smth very lightweight which still has a decent dedection rate. From the reviews I read, avast seems to be the best solution?

10. zakazak

Hmm you disabled behavior shield in avast? but you need it for script shield? both offer a great protection?

Why do you use comodo sandbox instead of avast sandbox?

In comodo: you cant really add folder as trusted? just single files? so you added all avast.exe files?

thanks

11. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

In Comodo you can select to add a folder in trusted files but it will add all the folder's files as trusted.

12. zakazak

Hmm in the avast support forum people say there won't be any conflicts between avast & comodo fw/d+

13. guest

guest Guest

You don't need to change anything, install both and will work well.
    Comodo will recognize avast files automatically and will treat them as trusted

14. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

I disabled Behavioral Shield because in my long time of use it did not give even one pop-up to me unlike Comodo. I call Avast Behavioral shield urban legend. I do not know now but I do not have an inkling to use it as I like CIS's more. Avast IS has 2 Sandbox, the Auto-Sandbox and the Sandbox for virtualization. As I have SBIE paid I just hang-on to Avast just in case I need it. I prefer SBIE for virtualization. For auto-sandbox(sandbox in Comodo) I tried both previously one after the other and decided on CIS's because when it first started(Avast) it drove me nuts because it nearly auto-sandboxed all my trusted programs. In comparison to CIS's it was more tamer now. I do not know what the new build of Avast behaves on the Behavioral shield,Auto-Sandbox but as mentioned,
    That's what works for me at least for now. Currently on the track to a more lighter layer set-up.

The best way to find out is (as guest advised) to install both/don't do anything and see how it behaves on your system. That's what I did the first time then I narrowed it down to my set-up(which I posted).

As mentioned also, it may differ on your part. On mine CIS's seems to have trouble recognizing avast setup as it updates itself and sandboxes it always so I placed exclusions for it. The pop-up was annoying even though it was in Trusted. That particular behavior of CIS's not recognizing avast setup(update) is similar in behavior to my Outpost Pro ver7.5.1 on my Avira Premium as it updates. It would throw a pop-up every-time Avira will install updates. That behavior prompts me to exclude files/folders.

Again it differs per set-up/per system/per usage. One might say that it's okay with them others may not have that behavior. It's also mentioned in the avast forums about Malwarebytes. Someone had trouble updating MBAM. Majority of the replies says they don't exclude MBAM and they don't need to. Then when the OP excluded the critical MBAM files in Avast it went out well and MBAM updated. That behavior was even called "strange" by one of the "Evangelist" there.

Try what guest advises and see for yourself how both will behave on your system. That is the best way for you to determine the answer. Or try the whole CIS suite. The AV component has really improved now and has been doing good results. Now that is a no-conflict set-up. I am trying the whole CIS beat ver5.8 with Prevx facebook edition and it's good. If you have problems with the whole CIS suite then a lot are here to assist and of course the Comodo forums is there also. Why not right..?

Have a nice one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.