Avast AV 2014 Pro + Ourpost Pro 9 FW

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Eggnog, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

I'm currently running this combination on my Win 7 desktop and Win 7 laptop. I'm not unhappy but I've just been using this Avast/Outpost combination for a while and thought I might explore different options. Is this considered a decent combination or could I be doing better?

The licenses on both expire close to each other at some point late this summer and I've thought about just extending Outpost to the whole security package or going with Bitdefender for the laptop anti-theft. My son is running one of my licenses for Avast Pro on his Win 8 laptop with Win 8 firewall. If I change over I would just slap a copy of whatever I end up getting on his laptop as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The Outpost security package contains a mediocre AV.

3. Circe

Circe Registered Member

+1. I Totally agree w/ The Hammer.

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! I Believe Avast I.S.2014 has integrated Outpost Firewall as part of the Suite. I'm thinking of switching too the suite later this year...if the Cdn dollar strengthens. I've previously used the Outpost Security Suite featuring the Virus Buster A/V which Outpost purchased...and quite frankly wasn't impressed with the A/V component. Sincerely...Securon

5. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

I'm going to look into that. If that's true about Outpost FW in Avast I.S. 2014, I might seriously consider AIS. I really like Outpost's FW.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm not sure Avast is still using outpost.

7. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Last that I heard......no.
    They were having some issues with it and decided to drop it.
    I think they went with some kind of their own, in-house FW.....

Rejzor probably knows more about it....

8. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Yes, they dropped it. They actually bought the network driver technology as far as I know, not the whole firewall architecture of course.

9. bidd

bidd Guest

Correct:) The driver was dropped due to problems.

Eggnog the Avast and Outpost Firewall Pro combination work great, you can always buy a lifetime license for Outpost Firewall which is about $39 from memory and well worth it.

The bonus is you can remove avasts Browser module ( AOS ) and use the Web control feature of Outpost for blocking ad's, scripts etc.

10. zerotox

And has Avast's implementation of the web-filtering module through proxy been changed as promised in the new version? In the past it was no use having a third party firewall as it saw only Avast connecting to the net, not the actual browser (numerous threads here and in their forum). They promised to use the WFP (Windows filtering platform) in the new versions, is it implemented?

11. bidd

bidd Guest

Yes it has been changed and now works as expected:)

12. zerotox

Thank you very much for your reply!

13. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

You know, the more I've looked around the more I'm thinking I might just stick with Avast Pro and Outpost Pro. I've had zero issues with either over the last few years so why poke the bear? I will check, though, to see if Outpost still has a lifetime firewall license. That would be seriously sweet.

14. bidd

bidd Guest

They don't have the lifetime license offer up at the moment but it does come up quite often, usually after a new version has been released so keep your eyes and ears open:)

15. bidd

bidd Guest

Your welcome:)

16. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

Well, I took advantage of that Bitdefender AV Plus 2014 offer from Newegg ($6.95 for 3 PCs/2 years) with a a promo code that someone posted a few days ago. Having heard that BD likes to uninstall firewalls as part of its installation, I went ahead and uninstalled my Outpost Pro FW prior to installation, to reinstall it later. I had to get an offline installer because no matter what I did, BD's web installer would hang at various stages. With the offline installer, it went without a hitch.

I basically just wanted to test something new, and for the price why not? It's cheaper than lunch and you get more mileage out of it. I've been using Avast Pro for a long, long time but this deal was too good to pass up. I installed BD yesterday and so far I like. It's pretty sleek, stays out of the way for the most part, and is easy to use. I've got it in AutoPilot at the moment so that probably explains the ease of use. I figure I can't go wrong with trying out a solution that usually scores pretty high on most AV tests.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.