Avast! 8 Beta?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spywar

spywar Registered Member

You guys will see many imporvements on dynamic detection of the Autosandbox in a few months ;)

2. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

Of course there are other fixes too, but it's not worth to list every one of them.

Running fine here since beta2, I've reported 2 issues with SafeZone and one of them got fixed, other one is still there.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed i actually like it quite a bit.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed. ill have a folder of however many 300-500-1000 and ill just let them run wild and see how it goes. i dont just test 10 samples. i dont mind watching the you tubers and sometimes they provide some info but they are not thorough enough for my likings. i beat the snot out of a av when i test it and if it comes out even still breathing then i consider it pretty good, if it protected the system and didnt get killed after all that then i consider it a win. many av's dont make it past my round 1 of tests. not saying im the best tester at all either just that i do a very thorough job at trying to kill a av till its no longer breathing and go from there.

on another note i like this new avast better than almost any previous since v5 its working VERY well and imo it has some stellar protection so far for me. a few things did get through but not many and it stopped some things that would make some others av's beg for mercy. im very impressed with it so far.

5. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

It's like survival of the fittest in your tests :) Avast must have done a very good job:thumb:

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

avast! 8 Release Candidate 1 build is now ready! The build number is 8.0.1479. A few things that you already know:

You'll immediately notice the new GUI. We are excited to hear your feedback
    The Software Updater is a new tool for helping you keep apps up to date. Give it a try :)

There is a new product tier called Premier, it includes 3 new features:
    • Data Shredder for wiping files, drives, and partitions
    • Software Updater in autoupdate mode
    • AccessAnywhere for remotely connecting to your PC no matter where you are

There is also a Browser Cleanup tool; it's a great utility for getting rid of invasive toolbars.
    In addition, avast! Ad Blocker is introduced; this feature allows you to block ads, simple but nice :)

Other improvements have been made to our FileRep and WebRep to help keep identify new threats in near real-time.
    And finally, our Streaming Updates make sure you have the lastes virus definitions.

We hope you will find avast! 8 to be a great product and we sincerely appreciate you taking part in the final testing and sharing
    your feedback with us. Please use our new https://feedback.avast.com (click 'Login', then 'Single Sign-On' and you'll be
    logged in automagically if you are already logged in the forum or you'll be asked for your forum credentials).

Download locations
    http://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
    http://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
    http://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
    http://files.avast.com/test5beta/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

Fixed issues from previous betas
    - Some online content does not fit or is not translated yet
    - IE WebRep plugin doesn't work
    - AccessAnywhere computer list isn't sometimes refreshed
    - avast! v8 now runs on Win8 too
    - Problems with upgrading v7 to v8 on Win8 related to the network
    - XP performance problem solved
    - Automatic Profile detection in the firewall on Win7 solved
    - No information popup on controlled PC when client is connected via avast! AccessAnywhere
    - List of computers shows offline PCs and also those that don’t have AccessAnywhere activated
    - BSODs & Webshield crashes fixed
    - Problems with Security Center fixed
    - Ad Blocker has now final facelift
    - Stability issues with Outlook plugin solved
    - UI might hang sometimes during connecting to avast! account
    - Problems in data shredder solved
    - After facebook registration setup might crash so reboot is required to start avast! service
    - During softrial gui is not correctly updated
    - Trial period could not be activated (update from v7 to v:cool:
    - Missing pre-defined scan jobs (update from v7 to v:cool:

Known issues in this version
    - Not yet translated into all languages
    - the Ad Blocker installation still need some tune up

Don't get confused with the Beta in the avast! window title! It says Beta but it's almost the final release!
    It should be possible to install this version on top of your existing avast! installation (all settings should be preserved).
    [When you reinstalling from older beta, we recommend to use aswClear - http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe]

Edit: My bad I didn't look a page back. Already posted.

7. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

so you may want to change your statement made here after reading about the new evo-gen,Filerepmalware and upcoming improvements and technology as promised by vlk and stuff: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-avast-8-Release-Candidate-1

its not just a fix...:-*

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. anon

anon Registered Member

Ad Blocker is included in Free version or not?

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AdBlock is in all versions.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Avast Free v8.0.1479.32 RC1 installed on top of existing Avast v7, Ad Blocker selected during installation.

Win XP SP3 32bit, IE8 & Chrome : I can see only the WebRep, Ad Blocker not exists. o_O

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Go to:

Settings -> Browser Integration

You'll see controls for it here.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

@ RejZoR,
    Thank you! :thumb:

Edit:
    Settings -> Browser Integration: Ad Blocker selected for IE8 & Chrome.
    Tested=
    In IE8: Ad Blocker plug in (avast! Ad Blocker 8.0.0) installed and working, in Chrome: again, no Ad Blocker plug in.

==========

Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:59:49 PM »
    I realize there are problems with the adblock installation, but this is the first time it hasn't installed for me in Chrome. Also, needs to autodetect language.
    -----------
    Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 07:13:19 PM »
    Just noticed another problem, It says that the adblocker is installed in the browsers I have but I just checked and its not
    ----------
    Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 07:17:41 PM
    Uninstall it via remove programs then reinstall it via the avast settings/Browser Integration
    ---------
    Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 07:33:12 PM
    Did it, and its still not there. On a good note, the streaming updates are up and running now :D now just gotta get the adblocker worked out.
    ----------
    Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 08:23:16 PM
    Still no little AdBlock hand icon in Chrome, even though it shows as an installed extension and it does seem to be blocking ads.
    ----------
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=115499.0

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

14. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

What improvements to WebRep to identify new threats in realtime?

15. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

16. spywar

spywar Registered Member

To me, this test wasn't very usefull .. We only saw web protection against "malc0de links".

17. khanyash

I tested RC today with zeroday malware links. The links which were blocked by WebShield & NetworkShield, I tested them again with WebShield & NetworkShield disabled. The links which were blocked by WebShield, those malware were also detected by FileShield so WebShield detection = FileShield (i.e You can be sure whatever WebShield detected will also be detected by FileShield if the malware comes through local channels). The links which were blocked by NetworkShield, those links were mostly dead & few worked & downloaded. I executed the downloaded ones & FileShield didn't detected any & no autosandbox. I executed them again with NetworkShield enabled & one malware connection was blocked by NetworkShield. So NetworkShield detection is not equal to FileShield (i.e Malware blocked by NetworkShield may not be detected by FileShield if the malware come through other local channels)

I tested on XP 32 SP3 real system.
    Avast 8 RC1 with PUP enabled for all the shields & also checked Cloud was connected.

The YouTube test mentioned here, I mentioned to him that NetworkShield detection is different than FileShield so malware detected by NetworkShield
    may not be detected by FileShield so he should also test the links with NetworkShield disabled & he replied he did the tests with malware links so all the shields enabled. I think he should also test with local malware.

18. avman1995

Naren,could you tell me where in the world does this relate to real life situation. :rolleyes:

When avast blocks something a normal user wouldnt care about what detects it...even if you try to test with local malware you wouldnt be reflecting real life situation.No one gets 0-day malware files from a infected USB or something.I see infected USB;s myself and I dont see 0-day stuff at all.

So again,none of what you talk is of any importance to we avast users ;)

and did you execute samples with all shields on?? as all shields dependent on each other.

Oh Wait.....are you trying to imply the COMODO "No webguard concept" here..

19. khanyash

This was not to prove any Comodo concept or let down Avast.
    I myself use both Comodo & Avast.

Zeroday or Old, any malware can be missed by AV products & infect the system.

NetworkShield in Avast is a URL blocker & blocking a URL doesn't means the malware will also be blocked. So the test was not to prove Avast missed malware, no AV can block everything. The test was only to know that if NetworkShield in Avast blocks anything doesn't means the malware will also be blocked by Avast.

In my test it seems.....

Detection by any shield is also detected by FileShield i.e All Shields = FileShield except NetworkShield, only detection by NetworkShield is different & mostly missed by FileShield or other shield. So the test was to know how the other shields will react to the malware, the URL of which was blocked by NetworkShield.

And Evo-Gen & FileRep seems very good. These have improved & increased the detection quite good. Very good technology.

By the way any info if the released free version will have the paid features in the GUI or not?

20. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Thanks for quoting me, im reply #21 and #24 :D I couldnt get avast adblocker to install in chrome no matter what so I gave up on it and re-installed adblock pluss. So im going to wait for RC2 or the final release and do a full reinstall of avast to see if it will work then.

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Do you already have AdBlocker running in Chrome? I was wondering if I should delete AB in my Chrome before I attempt to install the Avast! copy when I do the upgrade.

22. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

23. avman1995

Completely wrong! A normal average user wouldnt care if avast blocks the URL;s and doesnt detect the binary.they get the binary for detection from VT anyways..and dont tell me these files can spread via USB as most malware via USB is only related to autorun,sality etc :argh:

Hardly,even 0.1% of anything new comes via USB...most of the 99% malware comes from the internet via live malware links. :D

24. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

No, avast! adblocker wont install in Chrome for me at all after I Installed RC1

And it depends, If your doing a upgrade through the GUI i'd say you could leave avast adblock installed. As for doing a clean installation I really have no clue, sorry.

25. spywar

spywar Registered Member

BTW, RC2 has been released, updated through GUI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.