Avast 5 / MSE combo ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I saw a prior post on this site that Avast 5 beta was compatible with MSE so the two could be ran together. Was the Avast 5 final release also configured this way? And, if so, is anyone running this combo? If so, would you leave comments as to how the combo fairs together, especially resource usage?

thanks

2. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

avast! 5 and MSE are compatible, meaning that simultaneous use of both will not cause Windows errors. However, having 2 low-level services transparently intercepting and scanning code may in fact lead to a situation whereby neither of them catches the "bad guys".

4. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

See canned reply for users wanting to run MSE with other AV apps.

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I really never understood this. Why run 2 AV in realtime. Both are very capable by themselves. Either stick with MSE which is very good or stick with Avast 5 which is very good. If you want some extra protection try threatfire or better yet SBIE.

Ice

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't remeber that from the Avast 5 beta, what I do remember is that the firewall of Avast 5 Internet Security could run together with windows firewall.

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Most do not turn off the Windows FW, but they don't tell us why either. :doubt: Maybe Stem or someone else knows... o_O

8. Vladimyr

Firewall and on-access scanner "compatibility" are different issues.

The avast! developers consider that Windows XP Firewall (and Vista & 7 in its default configuration) is effective at what it does and uses so little resources that there is no need to disable it.

However, in XP neither MSE or Windows Defender should be installed alongside avast! 5 for reasons mentioned earlier.
    The version of Windows Defender built into Windows Vista & 7 has some extra features, but the on-access scanning is suppressed when avast! IS is installed.

9. raven211

Hmm... that doesn't explain how they can work TOGETHER. :)

10. Vladimyr

I don't think they need to work together, just not get in each other's way. E.g. the XP Windows Firewall is a true firewall, blocking ports to incoming traffic but without outbound restrictions. You can stack any number of such firewalls and packets will still cascade through (like you can cascade 2 or more NAT routers). Of course you'd need to keep your wits about you when it comes to outbound control and customised inbound settings.

11. raven211

That's a good explanation, but here comes the punchline... COMODO's FW, doesn't disable the Windows FW! Explain that one! :D

12. Vladimyr

All I can say from my own experience is that a dragon, even a misspelt one, is by nature likely to bite the hand that feeds it, by accident if not by intention.

13. raven211

What you said just now made no sense at all. :D What I meant was that the FW of COMODO is indeed very comprehensive, hence I would expect conflicts with the one of Windows if both are running, like they're now.

14. Vladimyr

Well, it's neither a technical answer or technically, an answer.:D
    Check with the Surabaya Zoo for an explanation.

Attached Files:

15. raven211

Haha! Random humor FTW! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.