Avast! 5 beta 1

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Az7, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Here... ~~ direct download link removed, link to announcement put in its place - LowWaterMark ~~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Woo hoo :) Taking it for a test run now :D

3. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

4. NobleT

NobleT Registered Member

apparently,this is a good news. endless waiting~~finally it is released :D

5. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Good news indeed.

Can someone post pics if possible?

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yeah, there's not enough functionality yet for me to install it, but with two beta refreshes a week that could change quickly. Perhaps some folks can test drive it in VMs and report back..?

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I thought this was the Duke Nukem of AV programs. lol Looking forward to testing it. Hope it is Win7 compatible.

8. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It seems like a v4 changes to new clothes:D :ninja:

9. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i like Avast 5 skin :D
    1. right-click/context menu scan not working..
    2. cannot multiple select on scan result (or this by design... ??) so i need to change action one by one if i want to change action on several file.
    3. what are error!(2),error![noparse](1:cool:[/noparse] means ??
    4. on scan result windows if i minimize (click minimize button on upper right corner) the window, i cant show it anymore.. and all Avast UI will stuck and can't be accessed (maybe because result window still open)
    5. i cannot cancel update process.. i can press cancel button but everytime i click on Maintenance tab / Update menu on left menu update process run again... so update menu via right-click on avast icon will be disabled forever until i restart my PC

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well it seems it just a very limited preview of the new version and it seems it won't be too worthwhile installing it now......
    will wait for a build which is more complete.......

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, you guys have to understand that this is a very early BETA release.
    There are many broken and missing features that will be fixed and added througout the following weeks.

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Yes, why not try it since I have other security.

13. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Indeed it doesn't have near the full defs, but I'll still use as it should improve soon. And I have other security.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Also after quick chat with Vlk, he said that what you see in this beta will also end in the final version of avast! 5 Free (maybe with really minor changes). So feature wise it will be a solution hard to match even by some expensive antiviruses. I'm also puting high hopes into its heuristics engine and behavior detection along with already exceptional script detection and generic signatures.

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

im going to wait till more features are added and its ironed out a bit with future beta releases in the coming weeks. and im also waiting for the professional version beta.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, it's actually pretty polished for a beta (as usual). there are few graphical glitches and minor non functional functions, but as a whole, it still works pretty well. Bug reports are coming and as usual they will be resolved very fast.

17. firzen771

any idea wen the professional version beta will be released?

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Will program-updates be released for download through the built-in updater? This would definitely be convenient considering frequent updates during the beta testing-period.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Of course. They always use built in updater for all beta tests.

20. raven211

Okay, thanks - through the many beta testing projects I've been a part of, most requires you to actually uninstall the old beta version and install the new one afterwards manually.

21. firzen771

i always found that to be a pain as well. its good to hear this beta does it on its own. :thumb:

22. raven211

1. When I clicked "OK" after making some settings-changes, the whole software would just shut down! :D The reason I think it's funny is just because it's so unexpected. xD

2. Is the Mail Shield only if you use mail-clients on the local system (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.), and NOT "helping" in any way if only using web-mail like GMail?

3. Why is ONLY utorrent (µtorrent) unchecked for scanning in the P2P settings? I don't even have it installed, and I see no reason to exclude also because all the other torrent-clients are checked for scanning.

4. "Updating" in tray-menu should read "Update" IMO - it just doesn't sound or look right.

5. Dunno if this has been brought to attention... avast! will create a log and put it directly on the C:-drive (or whatever is the system-drive). "_aswServ.log" is the name - seems to be connected to updating or feature-monitoring or something.

To sum it up... Some wording here and there and first beta which I would almost call alpha, but I definitely see a lot of potential in the software and the default settings look solid enough.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  23. firzen771

ummm ever heard of the edit button?... 4 posts in a row about the same kind of thing...

24. s23

s23 Registered Member

There is some word from the developers about the virtualization feature of the professional edition support x64?

25. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

So far pretty problem free; it still has one of only a couple web scanners that give me no or very little slowdown. I had one crash when I accidentally blocked with my firewall, but I couldn't restart the engines when I un-blocked. Also testing at the Malwarebytes forums, it wasn't detecting things it should. Assume that's because of the lack of defs.

I think the pay version will be worth it for pulse updates - how often will it update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.