Avanquest (Bvrp) Ndis Protocol driver from where?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by denniz, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I was using jv16 powertools to check for some software leftovers, when I noticed the following registry key (which looked strange to me):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BVRP Software\NetMedic\Selection

It was created on 09-09-2010 at 20:50 hours. I then did a registry search for "BVRP" which gave me this result: BVRPMPR5a64 NDIS Protocol Driver

I then did a file search for "BVRPMPR5a64", which gave me this result:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\BVRPMPR5a64.SYS

This file was created on 09-09-2010 on 20:51 hours and is also digitally signed by Avanquest (www.avanquest.com). So the time that the registry key was created, more or less matched the creation date of the .sys file.

I then looked at my add/remove programs list in Windows 7 and from my currently installed software, none was installed on 09-09-2010. And most software I test gets installed with Shadow Defender, so it's gone after a reboot. Also I know for sure that I never had any Avanquest software installed in the past.

Google gave me inconclusive results, it doesn't tell me at all where my pc got those Avanquest Bvrp Ndis drivers and the registry keys from... o_O

Anybody have any idea how these got on my pc? o_O

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Hmm, I thought long and hard.... and then I remembered something.... :ouch:

Regarding the creation date of that .sys file... it got created around the same time I bought my new Netgear router. I used the Netgear install-cd to install the router (since a manual setup gave me some problems).

So I had a look again at that cd and while browsing through the files... guess what I found: BVRPMPR5a64.SYS

So the router install-cd used the Avanquest Ndis drivers to install my Netgear router. :cautious:

Mystery solved! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.