Available NTFS partitions?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by Peter Holbrook, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Holbrook

Peter Holbrook Registered Member

Sorry if this issue has been addressed before. Under Leopard, the NTFS for Mac OS X system preference used to be able to select an NTFS partition in order to boot one's Mac from that Windows partition. Under Snow Leopard, that list is empty (at list on my Mac). Can this be fixed? Is there an approximate estimate as to when that function will be restored?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

3. Peter Holbrook

Peter Holbrook Registered Member

64-bit compatibility will be fine for those using it. I'm running the 32-bit kernel of Snow Leopard, but no startup volume can be chosen in the NTFS-for-Mac-OS-X preference pane (none appears!)

4. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Read user manual...
    SETTING NTFS VOLUME AS STARTUP DISK
    After installing the driver, Mac OS X Startup Disk (a utility responsible for setting an active operating system)
    stops recognizing Windows installed with Boot Camp. It’s an internal problem of Mac OS X, so we can do
    nothing with it. As a way out, you can choose your Windows volume on the left side of the pane, and then click
    the Set as Startup button to start it up next time you launch the computer.

(C) Paragon :)

5. Patrick B

Patrick B Registered Member

Bringing this topic back up.

I just purchased NTFS for Mac version 8.0.0 (having been a customer since 6.0, 7.0 etc).

Two things I've noticed. One, my Boot Camp NTFS partition does NOT show up in the "Available NTFS Partitions" in the Preference Pane. I can read and write to the NTFS partition, but the drive itself does not show up in the Preference Pane (no biggie; just want to ensure that I'm not missing something).

Bigger issue. Version 8.0.0 claims to support a 64-bit kernel under Snow Leopard. However, when I boot into a 64-bit kernel of Snow Leopard, my MaBook Pro does not recognize ANY NTFS drives; they are unmountable. I've tried mounting both my Boot Camp partition, as well as mounting an external, USB HDD (NTFS of course).

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Patrick

6. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Patrick B,
    It seems, that you have one of previous versions on your Mac...Please, go to /System/Library/Filesystems/
    Do you have "ufsd.fs" folder there?
    If yes, just move it away from /System/Library/Filesystems/ and reboot.
    Please, post your results in this thread.

7. kalkas

kalkas Registered Member

I had the same problem regarding NTFS Preference Pane where there was no display of NTFS volumes in "Available NTFS partitions." I have done per your instruction, removing ufsd.fs and then rebooted. Now it is displayed and it seems that everything works fine.

Is ufsd.fs something from the previous installation of "ntfs for mac" (ver 6.5)?

Best regards,
    Aleksandar

8. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Yes, it is kernel extension from previous version, since 6.5 can't be uninstalled with its uninstaller on Snow Leopard...

9. Ronlap

Ronlap Registered Member

I have a handful of similar FS in this folder:
    ufsd_NTFS.fs
    ntfs.fs
    paragon_ntfs.fs

Which should I delete?

10. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

ntfs.fs - it is native read-only driver. Do not delete this folder!
    paragon_ntfs.fs - seems to be an relict from CRACKED version of Paragon NTFS for Mac. Official versions don't create such a folder.
    ufsd_NTFS - actual paragon NTFS driver (from 7th of 8th version).

If you got ufsd.fs - delete it.
    If problem don't dissapear, try to move paragon_NTFS.fs to other location and reboot.

11. Ronlap

Ronlap Registered Member

Nope, never had a cracked version. First version was 6.5, then moved to 7, then 8. I did notice on my systems that work that ntfs.fs are from Apple with a rev of 3.2 while on my system that doesn't work, ntfs.fs is from Paragon with a rev of 1.0.0. Is that strange or what?

12. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

ntfs.fs is native Apple read-only NTFS driver. Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software never make changes to this driver or this package content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.