avahi-daemon

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Everytime I boot-up I get a message that says ''localhost... network discovery service is disabled ...Avahi does not support ".local...'' something like this.I am not using a home network.I want to disable avahi.I found some instructions on a website.Is this safe and the right way to do?
    ht tp://cyberfunda.com/question/how-to-disable-avahi-daemon-in-ubuntu/

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

To disable the avahi-daemon from starting on boot, the recommended way is:
    # echo "manual" >> /etc/init/avahi-daemon.override
    The 'override' will override the instruction in the avahi-daemon.conf file (in /etc/init/), the advantage being that the .conf file is not uninstalled.

(I have to date not seen that message you are getting).

3. cet

cet Registered Member

I am sorry but can you please tell me how to do it.I found the avahi-daemon.conf under etc/init.Am I going to write those lines under the text or do I have to create a new text named avahi-daemon.override and put those text inside?

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sorry, just enter the command in the terminal ..

root@ocky-desktop:~# echo manual > /etc/init/avahi-daemon.override
    root@ocky-desktop:~#

The override file will be created and you can delete it any time you want to revert.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you very much.I did it and no message at start-up :)

6. cet

cet Registered Member

Arghhhhh I got the messahe again today.This is from my log file:
    ar 17 10:10:18 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 avahi: Avahi disabled itself. If you want to use Avahi in this network, please
    Mar 17 10:10:18 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 avahi: contact your administrator and convince him to use a different DNS domain,
    Mar 17 10:10:18 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 avahi: since .local should be used exclusively for Zeroconf technology.
    Mar 17 10:10:18 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 avahi: For more information, see http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal
    Mar 17 10:10:20 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 goa[1833]: goa-daemon version 3.4.0 starting [main.c:112, main()]
    Mar 17 10:10:25 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 NetworkManager[847]: <info> (eth0): IP6 addrconf timed out or failed.
    Mar 17 10:10:25 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 NetworkManager[847]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
    Mar 17 10:10:25 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 NetworkManager[847]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) started...
    Mar 17 10:10:25 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 NetworkManager[847]: <info> Activation (eth0) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) complete.
    Mar 17 10:10:33 ceylan-OptiPlex-390 dbus[810]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.Avahi': timed out

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

See this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1482573.html
    (Second last post).
    Looks like adding changing "AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1" to "AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=0" in /etc/default/avahi-daemon may solve the problem.

OR, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/foundations-bugs/2012-December/129282.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.