AV world 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

We are all facing 2006 and antivirus companies are not an exclusion. What are we all anticipating from the next year from the point of view of using antiviruses? What are the AV developers expected to do to make their products more perfect ,convenient and pleasant to work with? I do believe that it would be useful for AV manufactures to find out what customers expert from them, how they figure out antiviruses of 2006.Here are my “vision” of the situation in the AV market in 2006.Of cause it is a simulation of the state of affairs that could be, some kind of fantasy. It is some kind of a mixture of scietfific research and personal preferences and wishes concerning antiviruses to-be. But nonetheless…
    It would be great if you , guys, shared your personal opinions on what kind of products antiviruses of 2006 should be. And we then could make an inference what should be done to make this or that product more reliable and trustworthy.
    In 2006 Microsoft One care will be launched. It is supposed to become the great security solution and if Microsoft takes a risk in such a perilous field it means the game is playing seriously. Undoubtedly, all Microsoft OSs to-be will be adjusted to One care. And here Microsoft will have a huge advantage of its competitors. The following psychological factor ought to be taken into account:
    Today’s ordinary users in rich countries ,not computer savvy, ”house-wives”, as usual, make use of Norton ,Mcafee or TrendMicro because they don’t want to spend their time and nerves upon “trifles” and they use what is already preinstalled in their comps. Now let us guess what will be preinstalled in legal new Microsoft OSs… So called “house-wives” will not hurl themselves into software stores to change antiviruses. Aren’t I right?
    So the biggest antivirus companies such as Symantec, Mcafee and Trend Micro are likely to be hit tremendously. They will lose their usual clientele-computer users from rich countries, which always pay for licensed software. So they will be forced to plough another field-computer-savvy guys, which prefer alternative antiviruses of smaller companies (Kaspersky,Dr.Web,Bitdefender,F-Prot,Avast and others).
    To achieve it they should create something incredibly reliable, convenient and surpassing Microsoft creation. Agree ,it will be hard to do…Even if the level of NAV, Mcafee or Pcillin will be about the same with that of One care, it will be Insufficient to attract consumers’ interest. NAV , Mcafee and Trend will have to be close to 100% level of detection. Otherwise, they will face financial peril…After reading that Mcafee, Pcillin and F-Secure betas detected ,if I am not mistaken, a new Sasser viruses we may conclude that future antiviruses will be very reliable and that we are entering the epoch of advanced heuristics. And , probably, this situation will breed a sort of revolution in the world of computer security.
    The most interesting thing is that that small, companies will be less affected by One care invasion. They are serving the specific circle of users, which is strongly anti M$, Symantec and other big enterprises and is unlikely to be tempted to embrace NAV 2006…It will be much easier for such small businesses to overcome “the transition period”. It is much simpler to alter the cause of management and researches at Dr.Web than to do the same at Symantec or Mcafee. A lot of new products will be issued –one better than other. Incremental and daily updates will become must-standard for antivirus as such. And the consumer is to be a winner.
    You will say: ”But One care is a service that is charged for”. That is where the point is. As always only the guys from so called ”golden billion” will pay for it(they always do),others will make use of cracked versions. We all know that ALL the most popular programmes are very easily cracked and it is done DELIBARATELY . Any way a decent citizen from US, Japan or Sweden will buy the legal soft in the store and a guy from a poor country will never pay for it-he simply will move to another product if fails to crack it. There is nothing to change it.
    Users from poor countries , which are using illegal soft ,make their contribution to the popularity of various products. And Microsoft guys are well aware of it-simultaneously with all lamenting about “piracy” they do everything to make their products available. The same Kaspersky, Symantec, Opera and others do .My assertions are not unfounded –I scrutinized several antiviruses’ policy and obtained the proofs of my conclusion. The are several good antivirus solutions such as VBA32, UNA, but their demo versions are limited in abilities , limited updates and so on. The result-they are very popular in very intimate circles. Just have a look at Avast or AVG ,which are inferiour to VBA32 in heuristics and detection ,but the difference in marketing policy explains a lot.
    Now my vision of some AVs in 2006:
    1.NAV 2006 will be much lighter on resources.
    Incremental updates everyday and , probably, several times a day.
    NAV 2006 will not leave its traces all over the computer after uninstalling.
    Its heuristics will be revolutionary new.
    The detection rate will be close to 100 %.

2. Pcillin 2006 will be something new and powerful. It has to regain its past popularity and reliability. Taking into consideration all the test results I came across in the net Pcillin at the moment is a mediocre product. If its detection rate will be less than that of One care-so then I don’t care…To survive Trend has to have detection rate close to 100%. And there must be Pcillin AV 2006 without a firewall alongside with Internet Security-the way F-Secure does.

3. Mcafee 10 will be an incredibly powerful tool , but without all that Active X mode of updates. Also has to be close to 100% of detection rate.

4. Kaspersky 2006 will turn our computers into unassailable fortress, new versions will be launching all the time. Kaspersky will have to be in a good shape cause of the fierce competition .
    5. At last Dr.Web will release it long-awaiting 5-th version with new interface(of cause, we all like retro-discothèques a-la Abba and all the stuff, but it is time to create something new in order next generation will have nostalgy about).It will be equal to NAV, Kaspersky and Co.
    6. F-Secure 2006 will be superb and reject its notorious Backweb mode.
    7. Bitdefender 9 will become a legend.

8. Avast 5th version will become a small sensation -its bettered heuristics and enriched signature base will make Avast one of the major players in the small piece of market, left by One care.

9. PANDA will perfect its Trueprevent technology and 2006 little bears will be serious security tools.

10. F-Prot will release its 4-th version (and later on , perhaps, the 5-th one) with incremental updates and many abilities to beat competitors.

11.New VBA 32 will become a real break-through in the market .They will abandon their unclever policy towards demo versions and as a result new users all over the world…Their superb heuristics is a real threat to vaunted Nod32.

12.VirusBuster must create something powerful and impressive to attract our attention and time. I still believe that the will succeed in doing it.

13. Antivir will be perfected and converted into a real suite.

14.Norman , which has a good heuristics but poor signature base (if to believe on-line results), will settle this problem. And, please, do something with that childish interface of VirusControl…
    These have been my reflections upon what could happen coming year.
    What would you like to happen to antiviruses next year? How should they change on a whole and some concrete products among their number?

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

That's a nice vision... I can only judge about one program stated on your list. I've been testing the new F-Secure Client Security v6.0 in beta stage and it's wonderful... When it comes out to the public (end of this month) I will write a review...

About the other programs I can't speculate. I'm sure Kaspersky 2006 will be good but it's still a recource hog on my computer. Also the story about Norton 2006 sounds to bright for me, Norton didn't have any major added things or improvements since 2003 :doubt:
    BitDefener 9 will be good for sure, although I've no vision what's gonna be changed (well the Firewall will become more powerful that's what I know)...

We'll see what the future will bring :)

3. Windfresh

Doesn't anyone want to share his vision of antiviruses of 2006?Nobody seems to have a clue...
    OK.Let's go another way.What features this or that product lack?What do you like to see embedded in new antiviruses next year?What are your biggest aspirations? :D Which AV products should ,to your mind,develop absolutely new products and which ones just have to perfect their previous ones?What about your table of personal preferences(likes and dislikes in the CURRENT products? :cool: Have a nice summer!

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's hard to say anything. Judging by current prototypes and beta versions,there won't be anything revolutionary. Just evolutionary.

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I had to snicker over these two items. I've used NAV on one of my installations since 2001 - currently on 2005 - and its going to take more than a year for Symantec to learn to be light on resources and not crap all over the system. Feel the same way about McAfee.

Your vision is nice, we'll see how it plays out. This will reverse the usual scenerio - it'll be MS that will offer competition to Symantec and McAfee, who like MS in the browser field, have gotton fat and lazy.

Regards - Charles

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree with something's that you said, but don't with others...

I doubt that Windows can release their OS with an AV or AS, because of the problems that this causes to the competition of the companies who also have these types of products...

About your vision over AV's:

1. NAV - will have detections close to 100% but it's resources...

2. PC-cillin - they will have to work a lot to improve their detection rate...

3. McAfee - without the dependence of ActiveX and IE, will be much better...

4. Kaspersky - will be one of the best ones without a shadow of a doubt...

5. Dr.Web - definitely a new GUI, and improve its detection... very good...

6. F-Secure - if they reduce dramatically its resources, could be excellent...

7. BitDefender - will improve its detection even more, and reduce its resources and incompatibilities...

8. avast! - I believe that this AV will have a great future, and the new v5.0 will be a nice surprise...

9. Panda - remains with "infantile" GUI, and maybe reduce its resources...

10. F-Prot - incremental updates and email client scanner...

11. VBA - ...

12. VirusBuster - ...

13. AntiVir - maybe a new GUI and detection improvements...

14. Norman - ...

You forgot these:

15. NOD32 - will continue to improves its detection rates and will remain one of the best ones...

16. AVG - continues the same...

17. Sophos - improves the resources...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. AV's will improve incrementally. Malware problems will continue to increase exponentially. Perhaps I will dump Windows and buy a Mac.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What I want and what most typical users want, isn't possible due to the competition between all these Anti-Virus companies, but I tell you my opinion anyway.

Seventeen AV softwares were mentioned in this topic and each of them have a fingerprint database.
    The very best AV softwares detect/remove a HUGE number of the SAME fingerprints, otherwise they wouldn't be popular and only the differences between all these fingerprint databases makes each AV software special.

Nowadays users have one active AV software on their computer and often one or more other AV softwares on demand, but each AV softwares has the same scan time, whether the viruses are found or not.
    So the first scan, will remove most viruses, while the second, ... scan will only remove the viruses, that weren't found during the first scan and so on, but the total scan time remains the same.

What I want is a central fingerprint database, that is the SUM of all existing fingerprint databases, the MANY DOUBLES REMOVED of course.
    The typical user will need only ONE AV Software and will be protected against ALL known viruses in the world.
    So each AV software would use the same fingerprint database.
    And that's what most users want : one AV scanner with only one scan time.

Of course there would be no competition anymore and that's a problem.
    That's why my solution is impossible, as long commercial companies are running the show.
    I always thought that computer security should be in the hands of the government or an institute on world level, where security is the first priority in stead of making a profit.

I also don't consider fingerprint databases as a good solution.
    They create new viruses every day, the more new viruses, the larger the fingerprint database will be and the longer the scan time will be.
    IMO you can't use that method forever.

The same counts for all these Anti-Spyware softwares.
    Combining MS Anti-Spyware + CounterSpy + Ad-Aware + Spybot S&D in one fingerprint database would also save alot of scan time for the users.

I understand that most people in this forum consider security as a hobby or work, but the majority of the users prefer to WORK or AMUSE themselves with their computer and they consider each scanner as a waste of time.

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Use Linux on your pc ;) Much cheaper and more (free) software :)

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Linux may be free in the sense that you do not have to pay for most Linux distributions, but it is much harder to use for the typical computer user. A non technical user will be pretty much stuck at square one, the way the machine is set up, unless he/she has someone to help. With a Mac a non technical user can be up and running from the start with even greater ease of use than Windoze.

Both are much more secure than Windoze.

11. 52432342

52432342 Guest

Linux become a garbage! Especially Fedora Core4...

There is no mp3, wav, mpeg... support by default... to install codecs you have to be PC expert... Default player can not play streams.... to bad!

I cant believe that after several years Linux is still changing just interfaces..

LinSpire is promissing version of Linux!

12. Windfresh

One more thing I expect from AV makers-ability to keep their words.
    Dr.Web has been promising its 4.33 v since April. The version was expected t have been released in June .June is coming to an end…

13. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It will be out when it is ready, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.