AV type Firewall comparison questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by modano, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modano

modano Registered Member

I am using outpost wright now but i want to ask you how good are firewalls from AV companys like norton,panda,kaspersky,mcafee are they better than outpost,zonealarm,kerio?

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Generally AV companies use a limited version of another copmany's firewall. For example, Panda uses Sygate, KAV is using Outpost I think, Norton was using AtGuard but they recently purchased Sygate so they may be changing their firewall soon or just discontiuing Sygate, who knows, CA uses Zone Alarm. I am not sure about Trend, but I think they also use a version of ZA. The versions they use are usually more limited than what you could buy from the original maker directly. But not always.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Kaspersky AntiHacker was developed in-house and is a completely different product.

But the smaller AV vendors do not have the manpower to support their AV and build up a firewall from scratch and therefore they license/take over mature firewall programs.

IMO, some of the AV firewalls are as good as the standalone FW's e.g the KAH in KIS 6.

In contrast, some of the firewall vendors are licensing AV's e.g Zone Alarm, Deerfield. Again it's a question of having sufficient expertise/time to support a variety of security programs.

Overall, most of the Security Suites will give you good protection but in some cases individual AV's/FW's will give you an even better combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.