AV to complement Trusteer Rapport?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by silverfox99, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I've recently helped friend who spends a fair bit of time on 'financial transactions' to clear up his PC following infection (McAfee, but to be fair my friend had let his sub lapse, not good). Going forward, he is convinced to install Trusteer Rapport and i have advised sounds good, + match up with an AV (maybe not McAfee, sub or no sub).

Given Rapport can cause a little browser slowdown, I might suggest add WSA but would there be a compatibility problem? ie as both trying to do same thing re protection when connected https or financial sites? So does that mean poss avoid other AVs with 'safe pay' type modules eg KIS, BIS, etc?

Anyone got a good experience in running AV with Rapport without any hiccups/compatability probs/noticable slowdowns?

2. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

My bank uses Trusteer Rapport, and I have installed it along side a number of different AV's without issue. Avast Free, McAfee Enterprise (my work PC), FortiClient - no issues. (My AV's typically don't have a secure browser feature, so I'm afraid I can't tell you if there's a conflict there.)

The only thing I have discovered is that when you install Trusteer Rapport, it's best to let it run a while (ten minutes seems like enough) before you shut down your PC or log into a different account. It has a management service that appears to set the software up to work in all your browsers across all your accounts, and it does its job in the background after you think the installation process is complete. (Sometimes you can see it running in Task Manager.)

Not everyone seems to think Trusteer Rapport is worth the CPU cycles, but from what I have read, it's a worthwhile additional layer in a PC's defense.

(In addition, I would strongly suggest you set your friend up as a "standard" user in Windows, as opposed to leaving him with administrative rights. I run all my family members' systems that way, with no problems, and it's probably the single most important thing you can do to limit infections.)

[edit]

Trusteer's website has a list of AV's that have issues with Rapport. My original post stated (incorrectly) that I'd used Rapport with Bitdefender Free, but then I remembered Trusteer stating that Bitdefender has issues with Rapport, and I checked my system that has Bitdefender Free on it, and I do not run Rapport on that box.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. guest

guest Guest

Add exploitshield
    http://www.zerovulnerabilitylabs.com/home/exploitshield/browser-edition/

And avast free or any free decent AV.

And check this list for compatibilities
    http://www.trusteer.com/support/compatibility-other-security-software
    For bitdefender
    http://www.trusteer.com/support/bitdefender

Secunia PSI could be a good addition to keep adobe, flash java updated. Or make him use an alternative pdf like Sumatra.

WSA has failed repeatedly in the latest banking test done by MRG
    Regarding Trusteer rapport I haven't notice any slowdowns and it's the best banking dedicated protection available for free. The next step would be an VPN

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2013
  4. silverfox99

Thank you both Sproket and guest, very helpful.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used Trusteer Rapport for a short time. I removed it because it did seem to cause slowdowns, and some browser problems. I don't recall the details, but even though their site says that Trusteer is compatible with Kaspersky and Avast, I did not find it so.

I won't make any claim that the problems were directly the fault of Trusteer, but they stopped when I removed it.

It is a good application and worth a try with whatever AV you desire. The only way is to try it, but I realize that if you are installing it on a clients system you would like to be as sure as possible.

Because I have KIS Safe Money, and Avast SafeZone I did not want to do much in trouble shooting.
    The Trusteer Support was very responsive.

Regards,
    Jerry

Regards,
    Jerry

6. fax

fax Registered Member

For free solutions I can recommend:

ZAfree with Antivirus + Trusteer Rapport.

They seem to work fine together and good complement. Strong AV in ZA (kaspersky), fine firewall and Trusteer to take care of keylogging, screengrabbing and financial leakage in general.

7. silverfox99

Thanks JerryM and fax for thoughts, wasn't aware ZAfree contain kaspersky for AV will have a look.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Just one recommandation... first install Trusteer then ZA. Otherwise Trusteer will detect ZA and self disable some protection (e.g. kernel keylogging protection) due to conflicts in old ZA releases (not anymore there). ;)

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why on earth does an av need to run with trusteer.?
    Why not just run say avast or another av.

Last time i used trusteer it was a real resource hog and my computer turned into a snail.

10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We still haven't received the detail on this test but from what we've seen, these are not live threats to users - WSA will still fully protect you against actual banking threats, or if you want, you can use it alongside Trusteer as well, but you will have redundant protection.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I will be looking forward to the results. What does WSA have that approximates or does the same as Trusteer?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

12. itman

itman Registered Member

:thumb:

13. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The Identity Shield - it generically protects against information stealing trojans, but in the interest of avoiding hijacking this thread, feel free to post over on the Prevx forum or PM me :)

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Just a heads-up in case you are considering using Trusteer with Sandboxie; it (Trusteer) will not work inside SBIE.
    My bank provides Trusteer Rapport for free but I don't use it because of that conflict.
    I use SBIE with Zemana Antilogger without issue.
    Whether or not the Avast or Comodo sandbox technology is also incompatible with Trusteer is uinknown to me.

15. vojta

vojta Registered Member

It runs nice alongside Norton, even Norton+Malwarebytes in real time. Previously I used Avira 2012 without a problem either.

Despite what has been said here, they don't claim to be completely compatible with Kaspersky. Rather the opposite:

http://www.trusteer.com/support/kaspersky-2013-safe-money-feature

If anyone is experiencing any kind of slowdowns with Rapport I would advise to disable the "Remove Malware" feature, which is a real time antivirus module specialized in banking malware.

16. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

Runs fine with CIS 6 but you can't run a Comodo Sandboxed browser with Trusteer in it (extremely buggy!!!) and with Sandboxie as such Trusteer Rapport won't load but you still can use the browser unlike the Comodo Sandbox.

17. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I wish Trusteer Rapport was enabled on ALL sites without having to enable protection for each specific site. I suppose that's intended though as it's a program mainly for banks who provide it to its customers.

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually to turn it ON is quite straight forward as you can do it directly from the address bar of the web browser. You just need to do it once as the website will be included permanently in the list of protected websites.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

and the information contained is amatorial at best... mentioning Matousec... 0 ring... etc. Yes, it s**ck big time. The article I mean :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.