AV-Test.org results: Sep-Oct 2014 / Windows 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Nov 25, 2014.

1. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

2. darts

darts Registered Member

I love Avira , great and light product with a realy good protection.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yeah Avira is getting better and better with independent tests...

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Also Ahnlab for the first time has managed to get top results...

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

McAfee seems to have disappeared as brand name, Intel Security is the new denomination, I think a good move...

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I somehow find their performance test category to be false. How in the world can Kaspersky get full bars on the performance? I don't trust their results one bit

Same with McAfee, they're one of the heaviest security solutions of all time

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Also Avira significantly impacts boot, and other performance tests show this. They appear to not test boot as part of their testing. They did find Eset heavy, which I actually do find heavy. Kaspersky to me feels pretty lite when I test it, but I do find it can spike CPU at times.

MSE has fallen to nearly the point of being useless. Vipre seems to be only slightly better than MSE (which was terrible). Good to see Norton scoring 100% with almost no performance impact, however why do they claim 2014 and 2015 versions on the test, which did they test? Both? I doubt both had the same results, 2015 should have been higher result, with lower performance impact than 2014. Strange. Bullguard is continuing to disappoint, they really need to re-engineer that product.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. KIS 2015 is light, but not so light as to have zero impact.

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Well firstly, I am glad that Norton finally decided to agree to have their product tested.

Secondly, all that matters is how it affects your system really.

Try installing KAV or KIS, then launch your setup files, talking about large ones, like the Nero Platinum Suite or any large EXE and see how it takes a long time until the setup actually launches. Otherwise, KAV/KIS is much lighter than the past.

But all in all, for me at least, Norton strikes that perfect balance between good protection and good performance. Others either offer you low system impact but not so great protection or vice versa.

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Ditto bro, much lighter than the past for sure, but in no way would get a 5/5 rating in my books for performance.

11. FleischmannTV

Symantec / Norton has been participating at AV-Test since many years. I have no idea where you got the idea that they've "finally decided" to be tested.

12. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

sorry maybe I got it confused with AV Comparatives.

Strange why they'd agree to test with AV-TEST but not AV Comparatives

13. FleischmannTV

The reason for not participating at AV-Comparatives has been mentioned several times on other occasions in this forum and it is because of the static file detection test. They don't want to be tested in that category but AV-C doesn't allow to opt out of it. They would be delighted to be tested in the real-world protection, performance tests and I'm sure other categories as well, though, and I'm sure they would achieve good scores there.

They tested September and October, maybe they've used 2014 for September and 2015 for October.

14. snippits

snippits Registered Member

That's because Kaspersky has top shelf packer support, and it is actually doing something like being able to disinfect instead of deleting or quarantining.

15. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

ah ok, I appreciate the explanation

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Great results for Avira and Kaspersky. In free category :thumb: for 360.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  17. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Another good showing from Panda Free.

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

True story. Speed issues relating to extraction are less of a concern to me.. Browsing, copying files, and boot are crucial for me.

19. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

CIS doing great as well!! ;)

Avast is improving from previous version too.360's performance is impressive!

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

:) where are your sample size comments now? ;)

21. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

Avast is coming back! Anyone who knows me here knows I am NOT a fanboy of any security product. I just wanted that fact to be addressed upfront so my objectivity is not in question. Back in October my day job boss asks me to help him with a quick inventory and piled up in a corner in the supply closet were at least 20 boxed copies of Avast IS 7.0. I said what the heck are you doing with all those copies? Turns out he bought them on eBay 2 years ago for something ridiculous like $75.00. He installed a few copies on his home PC's and stored the rest at work. He told to me go ahead take a few home. They were all unopened pristine boxes. Anyway, I took 4 boxes home and installed one on my sister's PC and one on my brother's, too. They liked the Firewall, Safezone and even the Sandbox, along with how the various components were put together, which surprised me because I thought both being security novices they might find all the options too confusing and complicated. Just the opposite. They both took to it like ducks to water. They absolutely love it and found the wealth of options very attractive. Even more so after I upgraded their installs to 2015.

I must confess after putting IS through its paces for the past month or so, I have become a convert. You set it to Aggressive Hardened Mode along with PUPs checked, and a further bit of tweaking, and you find that its a beast! You know, detection all by itself isn't everything! You cannot properly test an AV by just unzipping a RAR file full of malware onto a desktop, and then doing a video saying, Oh, Avast didn't do well. If you look at the technology Avast has put together, and you actually use all the varied components, and configure it all properly, it does an amazingly comprehensive and quality job of protection. Yes, there are some kinks to be worked out with NG (it can't be useful if you don't have Hardware Virtualization enabled in your BIOS or no option for it at all on the MB) but it's fantastic technology! Now, the Browser Cleanup component did wipe out most of my sister's addons in Firefox but that was easily repaired. Just to be clear, the installation of the Browser Cleanup component, without ever using it, wiped out about two thirds of all my Firefox addons. Same on my sister's copy of Firefox. Nitpicking aside, I believe you will continue to see steady progress from Avast in the coming months and the results here reflect that. Nice job Avast! :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

They always have and probably always will find ESET "heavy". Didn't you only have issues with upload speed or streaming with ESET (that they are looking into). Or are you saying that it affects your PC performance? If so have you let ESET know about that?

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That is for V3 Internet Security 9.0, which I can't find a download for, and quite possibly is only in Korean.

24. anon

anon Registered Member

Well said IBK :thumb:

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are right there's only a download for version 8. I'm shocked about the price 49.95 $ for one machine, they've got to be kidding, probably this is because of the high level of piracy in Korea. Most businesses in Seoul use Ahnlab, but most computers on sale have Norton pre-installed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.