AV-test.org Q2/2010

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by fadihu, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

So ESS 4.0 got bad rating on protection 3.5, what eset have to say about that, i start really considering to shift to some other AV since many times malwares/virus get passed Eset antivirus 4 and i get to know that when one of our users load its USB with laptop which have Symantec or kaspersky AV and get detected.

Since v4 things become worse to eset.

test results:
    http://www.av-test.org/certifications?order=protection_asc&lang=en

Regards,

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The best security solution is the one that protects you best, not the one that ranks first in a test performed by someone else.

3. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

That wasnt the case when ESET posted the result of VB on eset website :)

Anyway as you said, without testing ourselfs we cannot say for sure.

Best regards,

4. Wurstsemmel

Wurstsemmel Registered Member

great ;)

5. cool1007

cool1007 Registered Member

By my own experience, I am a PC user for more than 15 years. I have used many different types of AV solutions, since the times of f-prot for DOS, then Mcafee, Norton (as major brands), and other small independent companies. During that time, ALL of them in some degree, let some kind of malware go through their defenses and take root in my different computers. It was particularly bad when I used Mcafee even though it was supposed to be "the best around". Rootkits, spyware, you name it.. practically everything went through.

Almost 2 years ago, I heard of NOD32, I was infected by a really nasty rootkit (Vundo) and nothing could get rid of it. So, out of desperation (I was tired of formating my computer every 6 months or less) I decided to try it out. I got a trial version of ESET Smart Security, and it did what no other AV could. It deleted the rootkit, cleaned the infection and restored my computer back to normal. I bought a 2 year license the next day. Not 1 single virus have gone through ESET during those 2 years, even though my surfing and download habits haven't changed. It detected EVERYTHING. I haven't needed to reformat my computer due to a virus breaking my Windows installation or software.

Frankly, I wouldn't dare trying anything other than ESET.

6. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Well you came to the table to late for ESET because Nod32 2.6 was the best AV period though not for beginners and not very user friendly.

You say 2 years but it has been crap and buggy for longer than that, more so ESS.

7. cool1007

I started using ESET version 3.x, then upgraded to version 4. All my experience described was with those versions. Never tried version 2.6 so I don't see how I came "too late to the table". For me, it has been a great experience. 2 years virus free? Not much else to say.

8. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

As Temp Memeber mentioned, V2.x was the best in detection for eset, i can say V3.0 wasnt that Bad, was acceptable, but since V4 things become messy here, we have a network of 200+ users which we use Eset since V2.x, i didnt have any problem before with malwares/viruses even with V3.x was acceptable, but since V4.x it become obvious that Eset have not able to detect some of the malwares, even i configure eset to monitor everything, by selected all options for all features in Eset such as all objects and all unwanted/unsafe application for everything, still i have computers in my network get infected, and as i mentioned in my first post that i couldn't know about them unless i start seeing some weird issues with the computer so i go and check the eset settings and i find that many options become unselected specially for unwanted/unsafe options, even though all eset clients have password protection on it so no one can change it (it is not stronge password but still the idea it managed to reach it), so to clean it i had to use online scanners to remove whatever was infected.

and since V4.x it become common problem that the AV get damaged and you need to work all day to remove eset and install it back (if you managed to remove it) because of some malware screwed it up.

i saw many complains from users on the forum to eset to ask them to forget the fancy options they are adding in the program and concentrate on the core which is detection but still they are still only looking at marketing wise, which program have it all will attract more users.

and again that my opinion only,

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

version 4 is fine. People expect to much sometimes. Everyones expectations are going to be different and we see it here in postings about Eset. To me it is fairly simple, have a backup image, maybe MBAM for weekly scans and Eset, and most others, will do what they were intended to. I like it, plain and simple.

10. YaddaMinski

YaddaMinski Registered Member

There are a lot of new attack vectors out there. We use Symantec SEP at work and have noticed more potential malware getting through. These are social engineering attacks so educate yourself and your users.

11. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

i'm impressed, thanks for the valuable information, and i thought me and our users what this weird things coming to our computers, they are "social engineering attacks"o_O
    Please dont act smart, you are happy with eset then good for you, i'm not and i;m expressing my opinion, if the mods dont like it then they can delete the thread...

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is the answer right here. Too many people rely on their security suite to save them when you are just waaaay better off the have a backup. Run whatever suite you prefer and have regular backups and then it won't matter (much) when you do get hit with something.

13. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

Maybe this is in some way can be considered for home users, but in business environment definitely that the last thing you should consider that "no problem the pc is hit with
    a virus then ill just restore my last image" what about confidential information and data theft...etc, anyway we gone very far away from the topic which is eset future roadmap.

I guess we will not when release 5 comes out. Then ill hope I won't regret renew corp license.

Best regards,

14. cool1007

Even in corporate environments, server backup solutions should be in place. No AV solution can provide complete protection, especially if you rely solely on it. ;)

15. fadihu

fadihu Registered Member

who will relay on AV alone, it will be crazy :) the point about backup is not even to be discussed, this forum is not about backup, it is about Eset and AV, unless Eset will introduce a backup option with its ESS if they want to consider it as security pack:p

16. Temp Member

Well you really cannot comment fully then IMO.

Forgetting Viruses, V3 was buggy as hell for long enough till it was fixed then v4 which was RUSHED out to meet deadline for a tech show in Vegas was a buggy POS and still is.

How many peeps had their PC's messed up a few weeks ago with ESET+Windows Update ?

How many thread are there with countless issues not related to viruses and caused by new or changed functions in v4 ?

Do not try and say its the end users fault because they are too many end users with each issue and it is eventually fixed by ESET once you actually get them to admit a fault which is hard these days.

You did not get these issues years ago and it was very light on resources.

I have uses ESET Nod32for longer than most even knew or heard about it and it has went downhill.

17. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

What im reading here is the two sides of the coin ... people attacking ESET ,, and others defending ESET ,,, but no one accepts the goods and the bads of the product.
    I was a user of Eset Since version 2.7, so i guess Im able to enter to this thread.

Eset started the way down since version 3.X ,,, they focused in the comments of the users about the UI, and they forgot to improve in a 110% the engine,.

Desesperate they released the version 4.x trying to fix the mess of version 3.x, (winXP - win vista - win 7 o_O) but there was no big improvement :S .. in fact I was still worried about the security of my systems, and the solution was ... move to other AV, and was a wise decision, I installed BD and it cleaned my Desktop ...

IMO they threw a fake Eset product, not the one that they gave us 3 or 4 years ago (version 2.5, 2.7). Eset should do a reengineering of his product, the AV that left a mark in the Security World has decreased too much.

Im tired to use MBAM or others anti-malware products to clean the pcs, where Eset let pass virus, MBAM is the most common friend of ESET infected users, if the next version of ESS will be a prettier UI and no an engine improvement, at least they should buy MBAM and add it as a complement of ESS or Nod32.

Eset is still one of the lightest AV in the market, still have good detections, not the best .. but enough to let virus damage your pc.

They still have the good reputation, but im afraid that if the next version doesn´t improve, something bad will happen to Eset´s market :(

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Quite the contrary, I estimate less than 5% of resources were dedicated on gui and the rest was dedicated to improvements in the engine and program as such (Anti-Stealth, Self-defense, several new heuristics techniques implemented in the engine tremendously increasing detection of new born threats, partial cloud system, etc.). V3/4 detects many more threats than v2 due to various improvements that have been made to the engine and other modules.

MBAM works on different principles than traditional AVs. Frankly, I don't think any of the big AVs use the same detection techniques as MBAM and vice-versa. There are myriads of examples where MBAM or other AVs won't protect you but ESET will.

The same holds true for any security solution. No AV provides 100% detection of all threats and every AV statistically happens to fail to block malware. It is in the interest of the user or administrators to take other security measures and not solely rely on a single AV solution, be it ESET, MBAM or anything else.

19. cool1007

It's obvious that your hate for ESET clouds your judgment. I was just stating my experience from using the software (version 3 and 4) for the past 2 years which has helped keep my computer safe with a 0 infection record. Perhaps my browsing / download / gaming habits are not as unsafe as the average user and that helps keeping my computer clean. However, this doesn't mean i'm not "fully qualified" to state my opinion in comparison with other AV suites of the past. The subject of this thread initiated by the OP was a comparative of the latest ESET version with other suites, not a remembrance from the past.

I have read several posts from you and they are negative... Why are you still using ESET or writing in this forums then? If I had such negative experiences like you have, I would have switched long ago to Comodo or any other AV out there that could do a similar (you should read it as "better") job than ESET.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  20. Temp Member

I have used it since the good days so have more a clue that you on topic that's all I said as you have no clue how good the older product was.

Who says I have viruses, suggesting I have more Pron habits that your expert self ?

The Software is buggy and messes up PC's on many occasions with new builds etc and that is not relating to viruses (read the forum better and educate yourself in this).

You claim to have read my previous posts but obviously not very well or you would know why/how I am still on it after I asked for a refund due to waiting over 2 months of my paid for license.

WTF do you think this forum is for ?

I will tell you what it is for, its for peeps to come and voice opinions good or bad, in the old days of Nod32 2.6 I never had any reason to even come here do the MATH.

Telling me I'm not on topic is not your call, the OP is clearly stating the newer version are no way as good or stable as the older version (again learn to read).

If you cannot handle this you best to not visit this forum not telling others to do the same TBH.

Being a brown nose to ESET does not help get issues fixed, coming hear and moaning may.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You see so many threads here because this is a support forum. Go to any other SW vendors forum (not even a security related one) and you will see the same types of posts.

22. dnewhous

dnewhous Registered Member

I have known for 5 years that NOD32 and Kaspersky are the only reputable offerings for the desktop. For Enterprise antivirus - Symantec Endpoint Security all the way.

23. Gti30

Gti30 Registered Member

I've been using ESET for the last three years, both 32 & 64 bit versions on XP and Win7 machines (currently on 3 laptops and 1 desktop). To be honest I've never had any issues with the software and find it to be one of the better AV products on the market. I've used other products in the past but always go back to ESET. I also use MBAM and SAS free versions for piece of mind and can honestly say that any viruses that I pick up (I work offshore) are found and deleted without any problem. Every AV product is not perfect but at the moment I see no reason to change it. Even when it comes to uninstalling and reinstalling, if you follow the correct procedures it works like a dream. :thumb:

24. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

Oh please !!!

Suggest you look at AV Compratives etc

NOD32 and Kaspersky fans are always fighting over which is best - just like they were in a bar-room brawl

There is more in the outside world of AV than those two - Personally I have used AVIRA premium for years and years without one problem. I have just changed to F-Secure Internet Security 2011 because of the deals in price of 3 user compared to AVIRA Internet Security.
    I found F-Secure firewall very quiet. The AV good too - and it doesn't slow my computer - which surprised me (based on past history)
    I'm sure there are many satisfied AV users using Symantec, GDATA etc as well

25. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

Who cares about these tests. It's always about money.
    I've used Eset since NOD32 2 and I never had a problem, nor infection.

One day, I recommend to a friend use AVG. Big mistake.

According to this lists, AVG had 5 points(of what?), ESET 3.5.
    Lists are not always what matters. The seriousness and commitment of companies is what makes the difference. Eset has shown that.

This is MY personal opinion about AV tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.