AV-Test July / August 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Sep 30, 2014.

1. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Thanks. Panda continues to be excellent as a free product.

3. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

So does Avira.

Kaspersky IS 2015 is very light, but for some reason, if you have iTunes on your system, distnoted.exe keeps using a lot of CPU. When I uninstalled Kaspersky IS 2015, the problem was solved.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thanks for sharing.

5. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Once again, perfect results for Panda Cloud and Avira. Now, I can understand that they block all the widespread and prevalent malwares, but 100% of detection of 194 zero-day threats? How can be possible?
    Every tests on internet show that they always let pass through something and we talk of a few samples...

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i still have zero idea of how they can score the performance scores the way they do. NO way kaspersky is as light on the system as that... id like to know the exact credentials of their "performance" testes other than boot up time.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I have no idea about that part of test also. My experience is different than their test results.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

... and AVG free is actually slightly better (in protection) than AVG paid :argh:

9. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Thanks for posting....McAfee continues to move up.

10. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

:argh: Yeah, I didn't notice that!

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It is for me. Have you tried the 2015? Back in 2009 it was the heaviest. Was surprised to see McAfee do so well, but then that is based on an old opinion. I have not reviewed it in years. Intel must be doing good things with it.

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

For me too. KAV 2015 is incredibly light, v15.0.1.415 even better than "official" v15.0.0.463. I still don't know how they achieved it.

Thanks Fleischmann for the heads up.

13. zfactor

yup. even did the beta for it. its not nearly as light as i like i know that for me it has a noticeable impact on boot up file movement, extraction and even opening things like nitro as very slowed down compared to others. and my system is WELL more than capable of handling it. mcafee is another i would not say is light. i would rank them about the same honestly.

14. Macstorm

KAV could be interacting badly with certain apps for some users, maybe.

By the way, v15.0.1.415 is already official but "only" for the US :confused:

15. zfactor

this is used only with windows 7 (clean install) and ms office 2013 nothing else installed for testing

16. Macstorm

You mentioned Nitro, as iTunes was cited above. I have an old dual-core 2gb-ram Sony laptop (Win8.1 converted from Vista) with minimal apps installed.

17. zfactor

i was speaking of clients i have that tried to use kis 2015. they tried it because they heard it was supposed to be much lighter than 2014 but i was 99% of the time asked to remove it because they could tell it was dragging the system.

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Avast third from last in Protection...

Fantastic results from Panda.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This test has always been pretty average for Avira in the past. Since the introduction of APC detection technology, results have been stellar here too. When people say that tests results don’t reflect the user reality, it is partly true, but consistency of good results certainly show the potential protection of an AV, in a given environment.

20. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

If you would like to suggest a set of tests that will help demonstrate how Kaspersky sucks, please post it here. AV-Test, Comparatives, DTL and others all read this forum and I am sure they will see and would be very interested.

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Where in his post does he say that Kaspersky "sucks" ?

22. zfactor

i do my own testing and i feel i am very thorough. i check things like boot up, shutdown, file transfer, file copying, network speeds and transfers, dlna streaming, .rar extraction and compression. browser times (opening of ie11, firefox, and chrome, page loading times, do videos stutter or play smoothly (my connection is VERY fast and i have zero stuttering without any av installed 99.999% of the time everything plays perfectly smooth) etc etc etc. basically the same types of things they look for and i never have had these results with kaspersky (be the lightest av i mean). i have multiple machines to test on also so please do not suggest its my machine, i have more hardware then any av will ever be able to use at this time today. i do not mean to single out kis, i disagree with a few of the results especially mcafee. which i find even heavier then kis. i spend a lot of time when i test any av and im sure they do as well. and this is also coming from MANY clients i deal with who i collect thoughts and info from if they are willing to give me their feedback.

i will agree on the fact that 2015 IS far lighter than previous years for sure and its detection is still stellar. so as swex said i never said it sucks. its a great av just imo its still heavy on the system.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Apparently we aren't looking at the same scores...

You have to sort the chart from best to worst, otherwise it lists the products in a wrong order...

24. anon

anon Registered Member

Brandonn2010 is right:
    In Protectioin:
    Last = MSE (0.0/6.0)
    Second from last= Norman (2.0/6.0)
    Third from last = Virpe, AVG IS 2014, Avast , AhnLab (3.5/6.0)

http://i.imgur.com/MjWNtF1.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Look the actual scores, not 0-6 chart. Both, Vipre and AVG IS are worse than avast!...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.