AV solution for church

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mjc, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjc

mjc Registered Member

Title says it all, looking for an inexpensive AV solution for a church.

AVG is an option, but I would like something a little better.

I know the pastor is not very willing to spend a lot (he'd prefer the free solution), so I am kind of stuck...

There are two other things that are tripping me up;

1. It needs to be light weight/footprint...it will be running on a Win95 system (this was a donated machine, so I know they aren't going to want to spend money on it)

2. It needs to be easy to use. I would rather not make the 13 mile trip 3 or four times a week to keep it running.

2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

the free scanners available are the following:

Avast4 >> www.avast.com
    AVG6 >> www.grisoft.com
    AntiVir >> http://www.free-av.com/index.html
    F-prot for DOS >> http://www.f-prot.com/download/getfpdosfree.html

- Avast4 is (in my opinion) is better than AVG6 but it uses a lot of resources.
    - AVG6 is so light but it is said that it misses some viruses (I am using it for more than a year and I am happy with it as it saved me from both Yaha.J and Yaha.M worms :D :D )
    - AnriVir is known of some false positives (I have a painful experience with it).
    - F-prot for DOS is very good and free but only as a DOS scanner.
    you may use AVG6 with F-prot for DOS as a backup scanner..
    :)

3. mjc

mjc Registered Member

AVG and Fprot was my orignal idea, but I was just wondering if anyone had any more ideas.

Thank-you.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I think Avast upadtes more that AVG.

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi mjc,

Here´s another thread that might interest you: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6790

Regards,

Pieter

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

that's correct . But it uses a lot of resources than AVG, we are talking about a donated win95 machine. :)

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Question just to clarify: is the pc going to be connected to the internet and used for email, surfing, etc? Or is it going to be a offline pc just for word processing, etc? The potential security issues would be a bit different if the machine never goes online.

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Well, if it's for a church, you might consider contacting the AV company and asking for a discount. Most offer educational and non-profit discounts which are usually 50% off.

Be nice to be able to load up a pro copy of NOD32, AVAST!, etc., for 20 bucks or so. :cool:

9. mjc

mjc Registered Member

I would say 90% WP and 10% email/surfing.

Ease of use is a major consideration, and also the pastor has stated this is a $0 PC, meaning he dosen't want to spend any money on it.

The Javacool programs were a given. I was just trying to see if anyone had any other ideas the the obvious. AVG and Sygate are what I settled on for now, no AT yet, still deciding that one.

10. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

Why not use the free AVG, and once a week or so scan with the free PC cillin Housecall system from www.trendmicro.com to do a thorough back up scan just in case? Trendmicro found a worm in my PC that Norton andMc Afee missed. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.