AV Scan Times

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Are there tests of AV Scan times? I seem to remember that in the past I had seen such tests.

Norton IS took 5 hours today to scan my PC. I am using default settings. I did really like the short scan times of KIS after the first one by scanning only new or changed files. Is there a similar setting for Norton?

My OS is W7 and I have a 750 gig hardrive with only 68 gigs used.

PS. I just noticed that Smart Definitions was OFF. Could that contribute to the long scan time?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Norton IS 2011 on my PC first time scan takes 48:xx minutes after the first scan, all others take around 18-20 minutes :D

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had my external portable hard drive connected. I assume that Norton scanned that HD in addition to my computer. That would account for the at least twice as long scan. Make sense?

Regards,
    Jerry

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Mid 20s to scan with CIS cloud scanning enabled.

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Full complete scans are not required to be done nowadays unless in special cases such as cleaning viral threat. First scan with Norton would take longer than any subsequent scan . Additionally , make sure you run File Insight (Application rating) or Full Reputatuon scan before that . By doing this Norton will take reputation of the file from the cloud and they won't be scanned after that unless change has occured.

You don't need to perform scans manually - Norton does this by itself (by default this is during idle times).

As for the Smart Definitions: Norton 2011 products' definitions are : Full complete set (Intelligent update) and Smart Definitions. Smart definitions are set of definitions that are 30% smaller than the complete standart set . Smart definitions doesn't include detection for obsolete threats and threats that Symantec Security Response thinks are dead , no longer seen , very very old ones ... Smart Definitions are made for people with older or not so powerful computers so that download of signatures is faster and computer is faster , too. Smart Definitions doesn't make the computer less protection , because other protection mechanisms in Norton remain enabled.

Currently Norton scans are considered fast (as you may also see in AVC's comparatives)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Yep.

//

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All for the help. I am going to make a scan within the next few days to see what the time is when set up properly. I do appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.