AV routine manual scans

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

I am familiar with just about every popular AV product on the market and my current freeware programs are :-

AVG 2014
    MBAM
    Emsisoft AM
    SUPERantiSpyware

I have tried many others over time.

AVG 2014 is my online AV, the rest are used as selective sweepers.

Do all these available AV`s scan the quarantined lists on each new scan ? Emsisoft AM does just that, so that any previous false positives are automatically restored.

Since detected items are quarantined after each scan and every one of these AV`s detect false positives, some more than others, then unless the quarantined items are scanned, any false positives will remain quarantined until deleted.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Not as far as I know. I don't know Emisoft did that, but it is a nice feature.

3. guest

guest Guest

Thanks Roger. Yes, Emsisoft AM does scan the quarantined items every new scan.

Sounds a dangerous practice not to do this. I have had many false positives quarantined, including entire Comodo and main driver files listed as Rootkits and quarantined, both by AVG.

It was only my experienced eye that saved me by keeping them safe and waiting until AVG sorted it out. A rescan later showed they had all been cleared.

I use Sandboxie all the time and pay very little attention to any AV detections dependent on my judgement. Sandboxie as you know, does not depend on outdated data bases and has no false positive problems.

Unfortunately I do have to use an unsandboxed browser at times for specific reasons. Some programs do a direct Internet connection for updates, like CCleaner and Defraggler etc.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try HitmanPro instead of SAS, it complements MBAM better with far stronger detection capability. Also make sure EAM is in freeware mode to avoid conflicts with AVG, although I would prefer Emsisoft Emergency Kit for pure on-demand.

5. guest

guest Guest

I did use HitmanPro a few years ago and for a reason I cannot remember, I dumped it. I will give it another swing.

Sorry for using the wrong terminology regarding Emsisoft AM, it is actually the Emergency Kit I use. As I said, I only use these AV`s as manual sweepers and although they have picked up a number of "infections" over time, these have always been false positives.

Almost every scan comes out clean. I attribute this to Tzuk and his wonderful Sandboxie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.