av rescue disks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iceni60, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi i was just at another forum reading about someone who's PC wouldn't boot. they had AVG installed and were told to make an AVG rescue disk on their other PC, then boot from the floppy and perform a scan.

i have F-Secure installed, can i make a rescue disk using my F-secure? if not is there an av rescue disk i can download and keep on a floppy incase i ever need it? thanks.

2. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

If you're using WinNT/2K/XP, then probably no. These OSes use the NTFS file system that can't be read by DOS so booting from a normal boot floppy or CD won't work as these can't read/write an NTFS file system.

For a bootable rescue CD, check out Bart's BartPE using something like the McAfee command line scanner.

Also, if a PC is so badly infected that it won't boot, then often the simplist solution is to pop the HD into another machine to scan and clean it. Failing that, a reformat and reinstall is probably in order.

Ned

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Ned Slider [​IMG] i had a feeling it wouldn't happen. i don't have a CD burner ATM, but i'll get one soon. i want an ipod and a DVD rewriter :D

really, if my PC was in that bad a state i would reformat. i just thought it might be useful to be able to get back in incase i needed to make any notes of things i'd need after the fresh install. thanks for your help :)

**EDIT** i have XP

4. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

No problem.

I did find one company selling bootable recovery CDs if you want a commercial solution:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_bart_cd.html

It's a bit pricey though starting at $299 for a 1 year licence :eek:

Ned

5. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

You would need to update it with current definitions, so it would be an update the floppy every week or so, job.

Hope that helps,

Eliot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.